Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   Someone is watching (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/someone-watching-99499/)

Pretorien 03-26-2019 03:16 PM

Someone is watching

Just read that Volvo has committed to limit the speed of future cars to 112 MPH. Now, while that is not a speed that I am likely to attain, let alone exceed, I feel the same way about such an initiative as I do about (probably soon to be mandated) built in behavior reporters. To Volvo: Virtue signal if you will but not on my dime. Put your resources into engineering, not political pandering.

The reasons why my current Volvo is my last keep accumulating.

Patrick Ryan 03-29-2019 01:20 PM

Limitations

As far as manufacturing.When limitations are applied to a manufactruring process.Those limitations will be superseded. Count on that.

ES6T 03-30-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pretorien (Post 471929)

The reasons why my current Volvo is my last keep accumulating.

Because you are actively looking for reasons because you're salty Volvo doesn't offer their diagnostic equipment for free.

Pretorien 03-31-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 472053)
Because you are actively looking for reasons because you're salty Volvo doesn't offer their diagnostic equipment for free.

I'm not asking that it should be free but I do feel that the charges I have seen border on the obscene. (Right up there with $200+ oil changes)

ES6T 03-31-2019 09:42 AM

$200 oil changes are obscene. I don't know of anyone charging that.

Pretorien 03-31-2019 01:06 PM

Oil/filter change

OK - 50K service oil/filter change + "inspection" (check tire tread depth, brake pads, fluid levels and a walk around -mostly looking for work that can be "recommended")

Oil $55.44
Gasket $0.96
Filter $18.37
$74.77

Environmental charges $0.97
Shop Supplies $18.79
$19.76

Labor $174.95

Tax $5.61

Total $275.09

I rest my case

ES6T 03-31-2019 09:58 PM

That's a 50k service price, not oil change price.

I fully agree, services are overpriced. For people who aren't DIYers, they should just buy the actual replaced parts of a service and it will almost always come out less (in the case of the 50k, just get an oil change).

Pretorien 04-01-2019 01:02 AM

Unfortunately, having moved from a house + garage to an apartment with a parking lot (and no convenient power source) my DIY days are over. Additionally, since my car is a CPO used car, I'll suck it up and user dealer service while the warranty is in effect so that if/when an issue arises, there is no argument over maintenance.

The point is that the difference between an oil change and the "50K service" amounts to:
1. Pull 4 wheels and measure the brake pad thickness - replace wheels and measure tread depth - 15 minutes if you're slow (the car is already on the lift for the oil change)
2. Do a walk-around under car
3. Check fluids -5 minutes

$174.95 labor?

$18.79 shop supplies - 2 wiping rags?

A (true) story: I have owned 3 Mercedes. One of them, a 1994 E320 wagon, was fitted (afflicted?) with a wiring harness that "featured" a biodegradable plastic insulation. The harness failed (on a 4 year old car) leading to a malfunction that could have resulted in a fatal accident. Mercedes refused to acknowledge any responsibility and was quite happy to charge me $1700 to replace the harness. I have not nor will not own another Mercedes.

Although the circumstances are different, Volvo, with their "secret sauce" approach to software and their dealer policies, is earning similar enmity in my mind - too bad because, as cars go, they are one of the better ones.

ES6T 04-01-2019 07:44 AM

Buy the physical items a la carte. We don't pull wheels to measure brakes unless they are close to minimum thickness.

VIDA is available for anyone to buy and use. Yes, you have to pay for it though. So do the dealers.