Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   stop engine coolant level is low. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/stop-engine-coolant-level-low-72181/)

David Cea 07-11-2013 08:17 PM

stop engine coolant level is low.

hello!
i'm new owner of a volvo xc70 2005, 102K (millage) please i need help!
ok,

1. i heard a small change in the motor sound and fans like buzzing. (sometimes)

2. months later "stop safely coolant low"

3. i put coolant and in 2 weeks the same message.

4. and again and again adding coolant after the message. (like 4 times)

5. then, another message: "regular service time"

6. every time i give it more coolant the message is coming sooner

7. now: "check engine"

8. today "stop engine, give me some coolant"

9. no leaking, no floor mats wet, good oil, good transmission oil, no burning smells,

10. now i realize that the pressure of the cap of the recipient when i open it makes the coolant come up back and fills again. a lit bit dusty.

please, some advices will be greatly appreciated!

ibanez958 07-12-2013 03:12 PM

if u have excessive pressure in the coolant system u need to looking at a internal leak. make sure there is no external leak first by doing a cooling system pressure test.

rspi 07-12-2013 03:19 PM

I don't quite understand #10. But here is the deal. These cars have a pressurized coolant system and the reservoir cap should never be opened if the car is hot (at or near operating temp).

The coolant is going somewhere. That is something that you have to find out. What a lot of people do not know is that coolant dries pretty fast and you have to see it leaking. The best thing to do is check the level before you start the car in the morning. If it's low, fill it up. If you can't find a leak, pay someone to find it for you. Stop playing coolant / engine roulette.

rspi 07-12-2013 03:20 PM

Also, here is our failed head gasket story.

Head Removal and Installation, Volvo 850 / S70 Turbo B5234T, B5254T, Head gasket replacement, valve replacement.

David Cea 07-13-2013 10:59 AM

thanks!
well,
yesterday they made the pressure test and they said it is ok.
they were looking for leaks but nothing.

this morning i started the motor and the message again "stop engine,check coolant" i checked it and it was empty but getting slowly full by itself.

so, it seems that the sensor is telling me "low coolant" because the coolant has leave but then is coming back and the message is off again.

they said that i need to change the radiator ($900) but it does not seems like the problem.

what test should i do?

thank you so much!

David.

David Cea 07-13-2013 11:07 AM

thanks!
well,
yesterday they made the pressure test and they said it is ok.
they were looking for leaks but nothing.

this morning i started the motor and the message again "stop engine,check coolant" i checked it and it was empty but getting slowly full by itself.

so, it seems that the sensor is telling me "low coolant" because the coolant has leave but then is coming back and the message is off again.

they said that i need to change the radiator ($900) but it does not seems like the problem.

what test should i do?

thank you so much!

David.

rspi 07-14-2013 06:51 AM

Have you checked the coolant level first thing in the morning before you start the car?

David Cea 07-15-2013 10:43 AM

yes i checked it.
it was on the lowest level, so i tried to put some coolant but when i opened it the pressure on it goes out and bring the coolant back to the recipient and i just need to add a bit, or nothing.

and when i start driving the car, later the coolant goes again and the message is on...

ibanez958 07-15-2013 04:36 PM

always check your coolant when it is cold engine. ideal first thing in the morning before u start the engine. if u have to keep topping up coolant then the coolant must be gone some where either & internal leak or external leak. It does not must sense that the coolant pressure tested ok but they told u to just change the radiator. did they found the rad leaking??

difflock54 07-15-2013 11:50 PM

Has the thermostat been checked to confirm it is functioning correctly?
Does your temperature gauge climb up beyond normal towards the red?

(i.e. opening to allow the coolant to circulate throughout the whole system once the engine has warmed up to near normal hot running temperature.)

Could this simply be down to a faulty temp sensor as it's a normal observation for the coolant level to rise up if one removes the coolant reservoir cap with the engine at normally hot temperatures.

can_247 09-16-2014 04:10 PM

Same Problem

I have exactly the same problem. 1 month ago had the same problem again water pump changed by service free.

its nearly new only 7 months old new v40. 17k km.

I drive after coolant sign no overheat no problem.

very disappointed... it is like a brand new car :(

Originally Posted by David Cea (Post 359058)
hello!
i'm new owner of a volvo xc70 2005, 102K (millage) please i need help!
ok,

1. i heard a small change in the motor sound and fans like buzzing. (sometimes)

2. months later "stop safely coolant low"

3. i put coolant and in 2 weeks the same message.

4. and again and again adding coolant after the message. (like 4 times)

5. then, another message: "regular service time"

6. every time i give it more coolant the message is coming sooner

7. now: "check engine"

8. today "stop engine, give me some coolant"

9. no leaking, no floor mats wet, good oil, good transmission oil, no burning smells,

10. now i realize that the pressure of the cap of the recipient when i open it makes the coolant come up back and fills again. a lit bit dusty.

please, some advices will be greatly appreciated!

cngo 08-22-2016 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 2004 xc90 T6 had the same issue. The first time I saw the message when I started the engine, I turned off and checked the coolant level, it was low. So I added. a few days later, it appeared again but it disappeared after a few minutes the engine was running. I checked the floor and it was clean - no leak. I left the engineer running and open the hood, then I noticed that the coolant return tube that connected from the radiator to the reservoir had some tiny bubbles (see upload video).
I bought a liquid tape and applied to the reservoir tip and wrapped it with teflon tape. It seems to work ok so far after 2 days.
If it fails later, I have no choice but to replace the whole reservoir.

Hope this helps someone that has the same symptom.

Smith Volvo 08-22-2016 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by cngo (Post 436570)
My 2004 xc90 T6 had the same issue. The first time I saw the message when I started the engine, I turned off and checked the coolant level, it was low. So I added. a few days later, it appeared again but it disappeared after a few minutes the engine was running. I checked the floor and it was clean - no leak. I left the engineer running and open the hood, then I noticed that the coolant return tube that connected from the radiator to the reservoir had some tiny bubbles (see upload video).
I bought a liquid tape and applied to the reservoir tip and wrapped it with teflon tape. It seems to work ok so far after 2 days.
If it fails later, I have no choice but to replace the whole reservoir.

Hope this helps someone that has the same symptom.

you are going to need a new reservoir - common on this car

#30760100: Expansion tank

Fhumulani Mabaso 03-01-2019 11:51 PM

Same problem here,

Originally Posted by can_247 (Post 396309)
I have exactly the same problem. 1 month ago had the same problem again water pump changed by service free.

its nearly new only 7 months old new v40. 17k km.

I drive after coolant sign no overheat no problem.

very disappointed... it is like a brand new car :(

Any solution yet?

mt6127 03-02-2019 11:53 AM

you realize you are commenting on a 3 year old thread... Hopefully the problem has been fixed by now! As with any coolant level problem, its gotta go somewhere :-)

can_247 03-03-2019 05:22 AM

Fixed

Still Driving my v40
that problem solved by service in guarantee period.

They said there was a minimal crack on engine cylinder head.
they solved problem after 2 months.
it was the first problem they invite an engineer from Sweden to solve...

mt6127 03-03-2019 10:34 AM

wow. cracked heads are not very common on Volvos from what I have seen. more usually its a head gasket failure or warped head related to an overheating incident. Suburu's on the otherhand have a high failure rate up until a redesign in 2014...

enotsz 09-03-2020 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by can_247 (Post 471088)
Still Driving my v40
that problem solved by service in guarantee period.

They said there was a minimal crack on engine cylinder head.
they solved problem after 2 months.
it was the first problem they invite an engineer from Sweden to solve...

I know this thread is quite old but currently I am facing the same problem. Volvo had me replacing my entire engine because they told me it was a crack on the engine and now after 1 month I'm seeing the same message again. Did you guys think it could be the head gasket?
Also some time ago I had a Volvo recall to replace the EGR could they had messed something with this?

Best,

donf 09-04-2020 05:41 PM

Good Lord man, you realize that you have reopened a zombie thread? Originally posted in 2013 then reopened in 20016 and again in 2019. It is not due to be opened for 2 more years!
In the interest of people actually reading your post instead of giving up before they get to the bottom, repost yous as a new thread.
And this time please add all the data you can. It would help.
I can't see a complete engine replacement for a cracked head unless you overheated it considerably.

I don't mean to be harsh but I am ............................
The Zombie Post Police
https://i2-prod.coventrytelegraph.ne...JS66152567.png

Taz69 04-19-2023 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 471072)
you realize you are commenting on a 3 year old thread... Hopefully the problem has been fixed by now! As with any coolant level problem, its gotta go somewhere :-)

Because as many others here have already stated, IT'S A VERY COMMON ISSUE with these Volvos.
Why would enthusiastic Volvo people, continuing to help other Volvo enthusiasts bother you?