Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   General Volvo Chat (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/)
-   -   trying to decide which volvo to get (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/trying-decide-volvo-get-98471/)

lix 11-28-2018 09:45 AM

trying to decide which volvo to get

1. 09 S40 38k miles
2. 09 s60 54k miles AWD 2.5T
3. 06 S60 2.5T 89k miles

I don't drive much, like 3k miles a year. I am replacing my 93 850. I think S60 is more comfortable, but someone said AWD and turbo cost more for maintenance. This is a lot specializing in low milage older volvo. I asked if he would have S60 with no turbo FWD coming, and he said that the S60 actually needs turbo otherwise not enough power. I am going to the lot tomorrow morning to pick one, and he is quite clear that the S40 would be better for me, but my mechanic thinks it's "cheap" for some reason, and the room perhaps is tighter. I would like to know if turbo could be a problem at older age. I have always driven FWD cars, if the AWD is just gas cost, then I don't really drive much and that one has less milage than the fwd one. I think it's also about tires needing to be replaced together and some other stuff.
would appreciate any comments.
thanks

donf 11-28-2018 06:11 PM

Despite my remarks in the previous thread - I'd pickup the S40. Same age, less miles. thats a potent combo. You don't spend enough time in it to justify the slightly increased comfort of the S60 or even a turbo. AWD? Only if you really need it. Live in Maine perhaps? And all those parts are 3 years older on that 06. You need dependability, not a project.

mt6127 11-28-2018 10:56 PM

all of these models are good for 250K if properly maintained. A low mileage car may not be the best choice if its not properly maintained Also a lot of service items are age related not just miles - for example, if the tires are over 5 year old, they will be hard and should be replaced even if they are not worn. I've owned both AWD and FWD and don't think there's a significant gas mileage difference so that choice really comes down to your local weather and terrain (snow? heavy rain/?) As to older vs newer, you should expect a price difference so yeah, maybe some new repairs but 89K is really 1/3 into the car's potential life. What I'd look for is maintenance history, how clean the car is (meaning how well cared for) and then invest in a proper pre-sale inspection (up on a lift ) if you're not the type to do your own work. BTW I don't think a non-turbo S60 ever came to the US - they are pretty much divided by low pressure turbos designed to spool quickly for good torque vs high pressure turbo designed for higher HP at the top revs. Then again if you are driving an 850 with 160 HP, all of these choices will be really snappy :-) The 2.5Ts are the low pressure design, if you see a T5 model, that's the high pressure turbo.