Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Intake, Headers and Exhaust (https://volvoforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-21/)
-   -   Exhaust Tips (https://volvoforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-21/exhaust-tips-54662/)

xckidd 06-07-2011 06:18 PM

Exhaust Tips

So my friend owns a 5 speed Mercury Cougar. This is the slowest car in the world. I never thought it would be cool. But the other night, he rolled up and revved his engine and it sounded AMAZING. I asked him what he did to it and he said he just put a exhaust tip on it, nothing else. But he won't tell us what tip it is. I own a 2002 Volvo s60 and would love for it to sound cool for less. Anybody know of any great exhaust tips that will make my car sound fast and smooth? (Not rough as if i bought an Apexi muffler or something) All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ShowTek 06-08-2011 02:46 PM

by tip he most likely means muffler, but anyway go remove the resonator. That makes it deeper and louder, while looking stock still. Also just sneak over to his house and look at it/take a pic.

xckidd 06-08-2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ShowTek (Post 275195)
by tip he most likely means muffler, but anyway go remove the resonator. That makes it deeper and louder, while looking stock still. Also just sneak over to his house and look at it/take a pic.

Yeah, i doubt it's just a tip. I was just trying to see if that could be true or not. But i want it to sound smooth, not all rough and stuff like an old car with a ****ty muffler. You know what i mean?

ShowTek 06-15-2011 03:44 PM

Not really.

J_Mon3y610 06-17-2011 09:04 PM

resonator????

Originally Posted by ShowTek (Post 275195)

i own a 2004 s40 t5 and was looking for something to give it some sound of life to it. you mentioned a resonator, im not to mechanically inclined, so could you please explain what it is and where it would be located on my car? and also how involved it is to remove. does this void any emissions or inspection issues?
thank you

ShowTek 06-20-2011 12:03 AM

Nope, and i just did a muffler delete on my 01 s40, love it.

xckidd 06-21-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by ShowTek (Post 277115)
Nope, and i just did a muffler delete on my 01 s40, love it.

Would you suggest a muffler delete on my 02 s60? I want it to sound nice and powerful. I've heard that some cars sound like a dump truck when they delete the muffler.

ShowTek 06-23-2011 02:16 AM

Remeber, don't look for power in exhaust, just don't really get anything. Do exhaust for tone/loudness.

What engine? and you use a suitcase style muffler right? would probably sound extremely mean. And i have a vid of my muffler delete.

Actually go this week sometime to get my mid muffler cut too, i want it louder.

ShowTek 06-23-2011 02:17 AM

YouTube - ‪2001 s40 1.9T Exhaust‬‏

xckidd 06-23-2011 04:45 PM

Umm it's a 02 Volvo s60 2.4t AWD. I mean, it sounds good right now, but i want it deeper and a little louder. Any suggestions?

ShowTek 06-24-2011 03:38 PM

Resonator delete or muffler delete for a cheaper option. Or custom catback. Volvo mufflers steal the tone of the exhaust, my muffler delete added a lot more bass into the sound.

JkarikaXC 01-03-2017 03:24 PM

Muffler Delete

Will a muffler delete affect my low-end power do to lack of back pressure? Will I lose some gas mileage? I want my car to sound a bit louder/deeper but not at the loss of functionality.

fahad0 01-04-2023 12:42 PM

If you really want deeper exhaust sound then choose an exhaust tip very carefully. I find a list of good exhaust tips in this post. Hope you Also like it. Read Here