Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

940 Daily Driver -- Walker Exhaust Lasts Only 2 Years?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 Daily Driver -- Walker Exhaust Lasts Only 2 Years?

Is there something wrong with Walker aftermarket exhaust parts? After just two years, I have cracking & leaking around the converter flange, and the over-axle pipe is perforated with rust. Or is there some trick to installing them?

They do salt the roads here. Oy, Vey! Do they salt the roads here -- sometimes it's applied with such enthusiasm that the roads are crunchy. To counteract this, I hose down the underside a few times each winter, when it's (relatively) warm. There's otherwise not a lot of rust under there.

I'm not opposed to an aftermarket exhaust so long as it doesn't cost a fortune or sound like a fart can.

1993 940 wagon, 99% factory stock, B230F naturally-aspirated inline-4 engine. All the factory brackets on the Y-pipe.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM

Installed a new exhaust system this week. Starla, this time. I'll report back on its longevity occasionally.

Initial impressions:
The Starla exhaust seems to be a lot quieter than the Walker ever was. I realize I was driving around with a holy exhaust system before, but when I first started the car, the impression was "Wow! That's quiet.". When I installed a new Walker exhaust in the past, it didn't make any impression at all; it was merely adequate.
The Starla mufflers seem heavier than the Walkers.
The Starla was easier to install. Everything seemed to fit better.

I thought I was meticulous about collecting all the little parts before beginning, but still missed one and had to make a middle-of-the-project run to the auto parts store. I suppose that's just about inevitable.
I forgot that the (Walker) converter pipe had rusted & broken off at the discharge end and that I had added a generic adapter to make up for the lost length. I think I'm going to buy a second one and put it on the shelf for the next time.

Does anybody have any idea why pipes break off at the joints? Does the swaging process create a ring of stress concentration that doesn't get relieved?

It was an easy one-day shade-tree job. Partly because I've done it before. Not just on this car but zillions of others -- I worked in a Sears garage while I was an undergrad and installed several exhaust systems every day. And partly because I used a generous coat of aluminum anti-seize compound the last time. I did the same this time, putting anti-seize compound everywhere two pipes came together. And on the manifold studs and hanger bolts. And on the driveway, my pants, my hands, my elbows, my shirt and even a smear on my forehead for good measure. (not sure how that last one got there)

Despite the short amount of time they've been installed, this job wasn't premature.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

We used to install a lot of Starla brand exhaust systems on 240s. They whole system was less than $100 and took about an hour to install. Good quality.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:03 AM

Seems to have the same power & acceleration it had with an open pipe after the converter, suggesting that the Starla exhaust, despite being much quieter, imposes an unimportant amount of back pressure.

Last edited by drcampbell; 11-18-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 AM

Two-year report:
The longevity of the Starla exhaust system has been much, much better than the Walker.
Definitely worth the higher price.

Last edited by drcampbell; 03-28-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heavier weight means a thicker wall. Maybe more zinc coatiing.

My keyboard sucks...dangling keys and keys that don't press. Experience has taught me to keep my mouth shut about such things around my wife.