Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Interior (https://volvoforums.com/forum/interior-25/)
-   -   Interior ceiling fabric sagging (https://volvoforums.com/forum/interior-25/interior-ceiling-fabric-sagging-44176/)

David-Omaha 08-04-2010 04:31 PM

Interior ceiling fabric sagging

Is there an easy way to reglue/reattach the fabric that is sagging down from the interior roof? The fabric has also come off the leading edge of the sunroof, so that needs to be repaired as well.:confused:

jks2 08-04-2010 07:27 PM

We're going to try to use 3M spray adhesive to repair my sons 850. Probably this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Butterz85 08-29-2010 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by David-Omaha (Post 229417)
Is there an easy way to reglue/reattach the fabric that is sagging down from the interior roof? The fabric has also come off the leading edge of the sunroof, so that needs to be repaired as well.:confused:

I had the same issue with one of my other cars. What I did was went to walmart when ever they sold fabric. Purchased the fabric and the 3m spray adhesive. Pulled the entire headliner out of the car. Took my wire brush and scrapped all the old material off. Vaccumed to make sure I had a bare surface. Sprayed the adhesive down on the headliner and on the fabric its self. Start from the corners first and spray and press as you go. It's farely easy and my new headliner hasn't sagged since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEfOw...eature=related

mapash 12-27-2010 09:20 PM

Good idea Butterz85. My '87 740's ceiling fabric is sagging. I use push pins to keep it up, but would like to replace it. You posted that in the fall -- how has your job held up since?

Vilenica 01-19-2011 09:10 PM

Do it yourself I did

Check out my factory beige liner I reinstalled in the galleries labeled as '97 850. I can tell you how I did it. (I researched this topic the first week of January and successfully executed it for around 25 buh last weekend)

aaron.alistair 01-20-2011 04:38 AM

re: Using 3M spray adhesive

I don't think trying to use 3M spray adhesive tape in such situations would really help; there are better options, though I haven't personally encountered such a situation, and tried a specific remedy.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how your experiment went about with the 3M spray adhesive; if you have any success do let us know :)

Originally Posted by jks2 (Post 229453)
We're going to try to use 3M spray adhesive to repair my sons 850. Probably this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

mkc70 01-29-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by paulduminy (Post 254139)
You could go the less ghetto route and just recover your head liner backing board. I got my headliner done by a pro. I got a pretty good price since I took the backer board out myself and just left it at the shop for them to re-cover.

Just glue and laying down the material. Mine cost me a little over 20 in materials for both sunshade and headliner. Landau DAP HHR cement and OEM headliner material. Having a professional do the work for you is always an option, but then again one would only need a phone book.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/3224113.jpg

Vilenica 01-30-2011 02:22 AM

Diy

Originally Posted by paulduminy (Post 254139)
You could go the less ghetto route and just recover your head liner backing board. I got my headliner done by a pro. I got a pretty good price since I took the backer board out myself and just left it at the shop for them to re-cover.

I have to say if your can get the board out yourself you've completed quite a task. Why not follow through with the upolstering? https://volvoforums.com/forum/pictur...pictureid=3414
Here I used the original factory fabric. Washed it twice in a delicate cycle cleaning and removing any traces of foam backing. Did not need a pro and little $$$ about $22 for two cans of glue.

swiftjustice44 02-04-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Vilenica (Post 254418)
I have to say if your can get the board out yourself you've completed quite a task. Why not follow through with the upolstering?
Here I used the original factory fabric. Washed it twice in a delicate cycle cleaning and removing any traces of foam backing. Did not need a pro and little $$$ about $22 for two cans of glue.

So...I'm guessing you washed it at a public laundromat? If you didn't, your Mom or wife would have killed you by now. That foam NEVER seems to come out of the washer...

Vilenica 02-05-2011 02:12 AM

foam a matic

Lol actually a used a coarse bristled brush and brushed it fairly clean, all the particles where screeted out after the first wash cycle, I didn't get grief from the wife yet I didn't exactly tell her.:)

Originally Posted by swiftjustice44 (Post 255105)
So...I'm guessing you washed it at a public laundromat? If you didn't, your Mom or wife would have killed you by now. That foam NEVER seems to come out of the washer...

SgtCheeseNOLS 02-19-2011 06:15 PM

How much does it cost for a professional to do it...generally?

Bella Anderson 10-15-2012 02:49 PM

i think you wear a rib cage t-shirt to impress and should get in touch with a car decorating shop.. they would definitely have solution to your problems.

S40 in Fla 11-23-2012 11:15 AM

Just had my headliner replaced in Clearwater, Fl area. $250. Bill @ headliners mobile did an awesome job. I have a sun-roof too!

mark-doc 12-17-2012 07:41 PM

nice , i found 1 in junk yard for $20.00, i had to remove myself....wasnt fun..

jimmkitts 09-03-2014 02:15 AM

I did the headliner on a Mercedes C280 and followed the same procedure as Butterz85 except I used an actual material made for headliner WITH a foam backing. I figured the foam, if it were not too thick, would be a bit more forgiving. It went very well. I used an adhesive sold at Pep Boys made specifically for Headliner. It has been a couple of months and so far, so goo. EXCEPT... I ran out of the headliner adhesice after the headliner itself, so I went back to Pep Boys. They were sold out, but they had a super strength interior adhesive by the same company. I used that to attach fauz leather to the A, B, and C pillars and headliner material to the sunroof. That adhesive was much harder to work with, and seemed to grab immediately and dried to a hard plastic. Or, so I thought. The material sagged within days. I removed the sunroof slider and repeated the procedure on it, with a new can of the actual headliner adhesive and all is well.