Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Fix for chipped wood steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for chipped wood steering wheel?

Our XC90 has the wood steering wheel. Last night on her way home from work mywife called to tell me the chip in the wheel is getting worse. What chip? She said it's been there since we bought it in January '06,and just now started to get larger.

Is there any type of product I can put on there to fill the chip and stop it from continuing to grow? It's located in the 12 o'clock position and on the top of the wheel or slightly forward of top, as it can't be seen from the driver's position (least I can't anyway).

She suggested a dab or two of clear nail polish, but want to check here first if there's a better fix for this.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Default RE: Fix for chipped wood steering wheel?

I cannot remember if the XC90 trim options included real wood or not. If so, use some wood filler "putty" to fill in the chip. The make the stuff for light wood all the way to the dark exotic colors.

Fill in just enough so it is just at the bottom level of the clear coat. Then apply some high quality lacquer finish.

Post a pic so we can better serve up some ideas...

Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your response. Its my understanding that it's real wood, and the wood filler is a great idea.

I havent seen the chip myself. My wife takes it to work every day and after work I never seem to remember that kind of stuff, lol!

Any suggestions on where to get a small amount of the high quality lacquer finish you mention, and any recommended brands

I'll have to see about photos, depending onhow bad the chip is or isn't. I'm still in the dark agesand without a digital camera, so by the time I take a 35mm pic, useup the roll and get it developed it will be New Years,hehe!

Thanks again for your response

Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 PM

Well I'm not too sure on the brands. I think any one of the major bands will do just fine. Just apply it to the area that is affected.

Nail polish is some strong stuff. You could also try that if you do not want to spend money on a can of varnish that will sit on a shelf for a millennium after you have used a thimble full.... lol

I feel you paint when it come to taking photos. I'm just getting in to it. Pain in the *$#s*) when the photos always come out fuzzy or just black. lol [:@]