Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Mid West (https://volvoforums.com/forum/mid-west-47/)
-   -   First Anual Mid-West volvo extravaganza (https://volvoforums.com/forum/mid-west-47/first-anual-mid-west-volvo-extravaganza-32372/)

850tony 07-14-2009 11:04 PM

First Anual Mid-West volvo extravaganza

who: any volvo owner and any friends and family who would like to come

what:
weekend of volvo fun including grill out, food, good ole meet and greet, and multiple drives at your own will with others who come along for the extravaganza.

where: Rockford, IL (park location in the works)

when:
August, 15th 2009. (saturday)

how:
in your volvo?

RSVP AT THIS LINK HERE

check back for updates to come

feel free to rsvp here, like i said, more to come, this is just the start.

gilber33 07-15-2009 10:04 AM

I'm down like a clown charlie brown.

850tony 07-15-2009 11:05 AM

so far we have 3 rsvp's.

come on there has got to be more of you midwest guys and gals out there!

remember the location is not yet decided, and is mostly driven on where the majority of people are coming from, so lets get more rsvp goin on here.

Saleen9090 07-15-2009 11:42 AM

I will officially RSVP if we can move the location south a bit. Wisconsin is awefully far North for a Midewest meet. Missouri, Illinois, or Iowa and I'm down.

850tony 07-15-2009 11:43 AM

i will keep you posted and see if and when we get more people in on this. the more the better, so spread the word.

gilber33 07-15-2009 12:00 PM

I put the flyer up on the midwest thread in Turbobricks, a lot of wisconsin guys on there. So like Northern Illinois?

Krasniy Oktyabr 07-15-2009 02:49 PM

I would be there if it were a more central location.... I'm almost in PA... but not close enough to take part in the PA/ east coast Volvo events which it would seem are mostly in Philly. Chicago would work though

gilber33 07-15-2009 03:28 PM

So if we did it in like Illinois somewhere? If we wanna grill out we should find a nice park that we can all meet at. If anyone has suggestions of where a park is around the chicago area, let us know.

MistrThou 07-15-2009 10:06 PM

Midwest madness from Turbobricks was pretty rad. But zero Illinois people showed up... as is par for course. I doubt they'd even show if it was in Illinois.

I'd be up for it, but my work schedule is certainly unpredictable. No RSVP, but a maybe.

ALSO. I currently possess Matt Dione's Memorial Journal.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...t=matt+journal

gilber33 07-15-2009 10:08 PM

Yeah, I know there's quite a few Wisconsin people, I posted this in the Midwest thread on turbo bricks, maybe I'll put it on volvospeed too. there's just a couple people that would come if it was a little further south, so just trying to include everyone.

850tony 07-15-2009 11:36 PM

location info updated.

Saleen9090 07-16-2009 10:06 AM

Hey if we are going to do Rockford we may as well do Chicago. Only a couple miles away and for some people it may be nice to turn it into a vaction. I plan to bring a couple friends.

I've never been to a meet. What are they like? Am I going to feel completely out of place considering I am noob?

gilber33 07-16-2009 10:16 AM

I've never been to one either. Basically just an afternoon of volvo enthusiasts and grilling out. I'm kind of a noob too, so don't worry about it.

Maybe we can do the meet on saturday, and then see if some people want to go to chicago after the meet or something? I just think it would be easier for everyone to meet at the park.

850tony 07-16-2009 11:41 AM

ever drive through chitown? if so, no picture that with 20-30 volvo's with half the people not knowing where they are going.... on a busy saturday.... that is why we are doing it in rockford, but i am not apposed to taking a drive through chitown maybe.

a meet is basicly just a bunch of people getting together to hang out, maybe some volvo talk, and a meet and greet. grill out in the park, maybe some yard games (minimal drinking, after all its a car meet). then afterwards some may camp, drive home, or catch a hotel.

gilber33 07-16-2009 11:49 AM

if people want to camp, or get a hotel I would be game for that. But yeah, that's what I was thinking with having it not be in chicago, is a bunch of people that haven't driven there, especially with crew of cars, would make it even harder. I have some yard games I could bring. And I can bring some food and stuff too. I think everyone should be in charge of bringing something. But it would be nice to have something for people who are for sure going to RSVP to so we have an idea of how many people and whom.

Saleen9090 07-16-2009 11:54 AM

Do you guys go out driving? I think it would be cool if we got like 30 volvos lined up cruising through Chi city or like a flying "V" (for volvo) formation on the highway. LOL

One thing cool my friends and I did... We got 4 of us on a 4 lane highway all lined up and dropped our speed to 40 mph (a perfect rolling start speed for my car but don't tell them that). Then we took each other on for about a mile. I won

It was my 850, 2002 Toyota Camry V6, 2005 Dodge Neon, 1999 Honda Prelude. We were all stock.

The order was
1 Me
2 Prelude
3 Camry
4 Neon

Krasniy Oktyabr 07-16-2009 11:55 AM

What about Aurora Ill. It saves people east about an hour and avoids the godawful mess that is Chicago and It doesn't add much to the northern folk. Also Wanes World.

gilber33 07-16-2009 11:56 AM

I think we should do a drive, depending on how many cars make a trip to chicago later in the day or something.

Krasniy Oktyabr 07-16-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Saleen9090 (Post 170602)
Do you guys go out driving? I think it would be cool if we got like 30 volvos lined up cruising through Chi city or like a flying "V" (for volvo) formation on the highway. LOL

Someone has never been to Chicago.... Now, in a national poll us Clevelanders are the nicest drivers in America (tied with Portland), so maybe I'm a little biased but.... Driving through Chicago is like Driving through the seventh rung of hell with a red hot poker up your ass. The roads have pot holes a mile deep and it would seem that the majority of Chicago drivers think the freeway is THUNDER DOME: IF YOU AINT BLEEDING YOU AINT DOING IT RIGHT because they are the most aggressive drivers I have ever seen. In a 20ft box truck going 15mph above the speed limit just to keep up I had people in everything from POS honda civics to S-Class benz trying to drive me off the road. I spent a week there and every day there was some incident on the road that made me :eek: :confused: :mad: . Anything to avoid Chicago would be the best.

Also, I would totally be down to camp. I have a couple of extra tents if anyone is interested, but those of us with wagons don't need no stinking tents :cool: ... well I might but thats because I'm 6'6" and I have to lay diagonal in my wagon to fit so we will see

Saleen9090 07-16-2009 12:08 PM

If we drive through Chi town and don't want our Volvo chain being broken up by redlights, we could all just flip on our blinkers and pull the "funeral" card. LOL just kidding but that would be awesome. Other cars should yield to Volvos anyway. Right?