Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   2015 CPO Volvo XC60 or new Subaru Forester (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/2015-cpo-volvo-xc60-new-subaru-forester-97549/)

Laurenp79 08-24-2018 06:54 PM

2015 CPO Volvo XC60 or new Subaru Forester

Hi all! I am expecting my first child in December and need a safe (the safest!) car for her plus we just need to upgrade in general as we’ve had our two cars for a decade paid off which has been wonderful.
im also getting my real estate license so I will need a newer, nicer car to drive.

So my two main questions are: which car is best? And if we go with an XC60 is it best to get a FWD over the AWD?? We live in Tucson and don’t experience any snow. Does FWD get better miles per gallon?

Looking at safety ratings I see that Volvo and Subaru make the safest cars. The XC60 is soooo nice and I loved the comfort of the seats but I’ve read in other places that it’s not that reliable of a car and I will likely be spending lots of $$ on repairs over the years.

We we are deciding between the Subaru Outback, forester (the 2019 coming out in October will finally have rear ac vents, a must for Arizona summers with baby), and the Volvo XC60.

Outback/forester: brand new would be $33-35k
positives:
+wed have a warranty and Subaru’s are pretty reliable from what I’ve seen and read.
+ forester has great visibility
+ both are known to be great family vehicles

-I’ve read the seats aren’t that comfy and I even have a friend with knee issues due to her 2017 forester

VolvoXC60:
+ gorgeous car, smooth and very comfy seats
+very safe family car

-potentially very expensive to maintain
-can’t afford a new one so would have to get used

Side note: My my husband for his car, mostly a commute car for work wants to get the S60, or maybe a Toyota Prius, Ford Fusion or a Mazda, if anyone cares to weigh in on these.

Thanks for any help!!!

Lauren

mt6127 08-27-2018 09:01 PM

Not sure why you have the perception that the Volvo is "potentially very expensive to maintain". If you buy certified pre-owned you get an extended warranty, and a car that new would be eligible for an extended warranty (after market). The subaru comes with a 5 year /60K warranty on the power train so why not compare to getting an extended warranty for the Volvo. Each year new cars get more reliable, require less standard service but the general repairs being more modular cost more. Either model should be relatively maintenance free compared you say a ten year old model so I'd base my choose on comfort, features and driveability. In terms of the other models, The Prius is in a different class from an XC60 entirely so I won't hazard a compare (personally other than the mileage/green agenda, I see no upside to a Prius), the Ford Fusion doesn't have a great longevity track record (you don't hear about Fusions with 200K+ miles like you do with Volvos) and the Mazda is a value choice not a choice for comfort/features/drivability. I'd consider a Mazda if you don't have long drives where comfort is a premium.

urdrwho 10-20-2018 12:05 PM

I gave up my Volvo for an Outback and I am very sorry. The certified outback has been nothing but a pain.