Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   AC for 2011 XC 60 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/ac-2011-xc-60-a-99972/)

johneblen 05-21-2019 04:57 PM

AC for 2011 XC 60

My AC has been erratic for over a year now. Had a shop add refrigerant and dye to check for leaks last year. No change and no leak. Just got it diagnosed as a Compressor replacement with other parts. They said my compressor was dead. $2500-$3000. Is this a common thing for Volvos? Ive never had an AC go out like this and to the tune of $3K. Really? Really?

mt6127 05-22-2019 09:18 AM

Could be the compressor or cloud be the compressor clutch. Did they test the clutch? Cost for parts will be $200 for a compressor clutch, $400 for an after market replacement compressor, $600 for a replacement genuine volvo part (check Tasca Parts for genuine Volvo part pricing). If its the clutch, they don't need to open the system so the labor cost will be much lower - but these cars are pretty packed so I wouldn't be surprised if they have to remove quite a few bits to access the compressor which may be a big part of the cost estimate. If the compressor needs to be removed then the system needs to be evacuated, and extra parts like the expansion valve, receiver/dryer and o-rings should also be replaced before a full recharge. Note on older volvos it was more common for the clutch to fail than the compressor.

johneblen 05-22-2019 07:36 PM

The job he indicated is what you mentioned last. Evacuating the system and multiple parts besides the compressor. Just shocked it is so much. he said he found a different distributor that has the "kit" for less. Will take 4 days to get it but will be more like 2300-2600. I'm still going to wait, suffer, feel the pain and try not to give in to Louisiana summer heat. For now

mt6127 05-22-2019 08:45 PM

is that quote from a dealer or from an independent AC shop? Sounds like it may be worth your time to shop around. I'd also be curious about the behavior to determine if its the clutch. there's a few things in play - the clutch is magnetic so it needs a control signal to engage. If you have a bad high pressure sensor or low pressure sensor, the AC won't engage. Next is the clutch gap. If the clutch gap is too wide what happens is the AC will come on for a few minutes but then the clutch starts heating up since its slipping and effectively looses grip and the ac stops engaging. Car cools down, AC reappears... Your AC is also controlled by the climate control computer. a properly equipped shop (like a dealer) can read fault codes from the computer to determine if any of the sensors and signals are setting a fault code as well.

johneblen 05-23-2019 07:34 PM

It's an independent. What I have not said is that they claim quality, fix it the right way and guarantee their work for 3 years. I'm just stuck on the price. Like what you mentioned, I am kind of familliar with the possible causes, and breaking down the pieces like the loose clutch, but dont know what's best.

johneblen 05-23-2019 07:37 PM

saw a you tube video on quick fix (temp) on the clutch with zip ties...but...

johneblen 05-23-2019 07:58 PM

it does work sometimes randomly....but now that the shop tinkered with it, it works even less and now there is a hum which indicates compressor. Sitting in interstate traffic, playing with controlls...sometimes it just kicks in and starts cooling. As soon as I roll up the windows, the air coming out the vents starts to heat up....its like a game