New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Avoiding Volvo Naysayers

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Avoiding Volvo Naysayers

Hello to all! I'm the proud owner of my first Volvo! She's a 2006 xc90 AWD 2.5L Turbo. I've had a lot of Ford Explorers and Broncos in my life so I know nothing about Volvos (yet). I've read a lot of literature already on them and am very excited about keeping this Volvo alive. I've taken it to two mechanics so far and both said get rid of it, due to a bad Turbo, Struts, Steering Angle Sensor, and a Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor. That was the ultimate challenge for me. Maybe I'll buy the Vida Dice and just tackle this thing myself with aftermarket parts. I look forward to any advice and can't wait to learn a different breed! Happy Trails and I say Aye!

Last edited by againsthegrain7; 10-24-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Decribed problems
Old 11-06-2020, 09:01 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

No vehicle or car brand is perfect, although some are less perfect than others. There are many factors that come to play in one's buying decision (e.g., reliability, safety, technology, design, comfort, utility, price, etc). In my case, after almost 2 years of research (I'm retired, so I looked at this as an enjoyable research process), I elected to factory order a new 2020 Volvo V90 Inscription T6, and I'm glad I did. This car was purchased specifically to address my wife's and my long-distance travel needs, which included maximizing comfort, safety and storage room. I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years, as I have done with all of my new car purchases.

Am I concerned about the potential down-the-road reliability and cost-of-maintenance? Yes, but only mildly so. IMO, this goes with the territory for most new/newer cars that rely on sophisticated electronics and safety mechanisms. One key factor for me, in helping to overcome my "Volvo" reliability anxiety (I had never owned a Volvo before ... having driven Lexus and Honda vehicles), was the knowledge that the 2020 V90 model was first introduced in 2016. Volvo has had several years to fine-tune this model and (hopefully) address earlier quality and/or performance issues. In addition, I like Volvo's approach of, basically, using the same engine, interior design and under-carriage architecture in its vehicles, across models. In theory, this approach should help to continually improve quality and reliability, enable somewhat economical down-the-road part replacement costs (realizing that this is still a Volvo), and have quality technicians available in the case where repairs are needed. I elected to purchase a very rare V90 Inscription (in America, through Oct 2020, only 220 V90's were sold in the USA, and the majority were probably the R version ... https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/e.../sales-volumes). Where I live, in central NJ, I have never seen another V90 Inscription, which is more than OK with me. As I've said to people, my V90 is rarer than a Ferrari! I've actually had people stop me in parking lots to (a) ask me what I have, (b) ask to look at it and (c) ask to take pictures. This has never happened with any other car I've owned. Realizing that my V90's mechanicals are common amongst many of the other Volvo models helps me to know that, in the event repairs are needed, parts and qualified technicians will be available to make the necessary repairs (at my age, I'm no longer a DIY guy).

At the end of the day, one's vehicle buying decision is a highly personal matter. Above all, particularly if finances are an issue, the expense of acquiring and maintaining any vehicle should be the first factor in one's decisions process. After this, whatever else is most needed in a new vehicle (e.g., safety, comfort, utility, etc) is, again, highly personal. Good luck.

Last edited by maggs; 11-07-2020 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
againsthegrain7 (11-06-2020)