Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   Can Anyone Help Me (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/can-anyone-help-me-98012/)

51ddmac 10-06-2018 09:45 AM

Can Anyone Help Me

After I replaced my alternator Some times my Front And Back parking sensors work and then I get a message parking sensors require service I could be driving along the road and they are working then for no reason I get the message about needing service

tony1963 10-06-2018 03:01 PM

The issue is not related to the alternator.

51ddmac 10-08-2018 07:11 AM

Why are my sensors acting up?

mt6127 10-08-2018 09:31 AM

check your system voltage. did you clean/tighten cables to spec? Otherwise as Tony noted, its unrelated to the alternator and you should diagnose based on your fault codes.

51ddmac 10-08-2018 10:13 AM

Thankyou for getting back with your answer

How do you find fault codes do I have to go to a dealer?

mt6127 10-09-2018 06:38 AM

Autozone rents OBD2 code readers Harbor freight etc sells them for $40 and up. Many indy mechanics will scan check engine lighy codes for free...

Stinky 10-09-2018 10:48 PM

mt6127...you say that it is not related to the alternator, but you say to check the voltage.

Where does the voltage come from? The alternator?

BTW, I have no idea.

51ddmac 10-10-2018 12:16 AM

I live in N Ireland an anyone suggest where I should go to get it checked out ?

ES6T 10-10-2018 08:08 AM

A generic scanner isn't going to do much good. You're going to need a dealer or a shop with a higher end scanner at least.

Stinky 10-11-2018 02:58 PM

Get a multi-meter and check the voltage at the battery, check it at the alternator's main voltage out terminal. The voltage should be real close.

It should be ? I don't know, but in the olden days it woulda been about 13.5-14.5V. Somebody know?

A bad alternator will cause all kinds of problems w/electronic systems....especially computer controlled ones. Was the alternator checked before it was installed?...yep, seen dat bfor. If the place you bought it from checks out systems on cars, then do that. A variation of .1V could cause you problems....BTW, I just used that number as an example, I have no idea how small of a tolerance it would be.

Now, when we say voltage, we mean + and -....so the grounds are important, maybe more important that the positive side.

In the US, the dealer is often referred as the Stealer. I didn't make the term up, just repeating it AND, they have ripped my lips off before (been of absolutely no help whatsoever, and then wanted to charge 2 hours of labor (over $100 an hour in the US)). But, theoretically, they would know more than anybody if that part was, "Built-Broke" (of poor design and often causes problems).

BTW, I use "Built=Broke" w/o the permission of Handy services offered by Robert Spinner You might try him, he offers to help people for free.

ES6T 10-11-2018 03:28 PM

It isn't the alternator. But I work at a "stealer" and only rip people off so what do I know..