Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   First Car First Volvo First Timer (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/first-car-first-volvo-first-timer-33632/)

volvomang 08-21-2009 11:59 PM

First Car First Volvo First Timer

Hello everyone:)!

First time Volvo dude here, just wanted to introduce myself...

I have been driving for several years but recently moved and had to switch vehicles from a long-used family one. Through an odd series of events I ended up purchasing a 1994 Volvo 940 Automatic. Most people are pretty astounded when they found out what type of car I bought and perhaps it was not the wisest choice, given my relative inexperience with vehicles. The car has high mileage but had one owner and has been pretty well taken care of.

I have the 940 now, I love it, and I really want to keep it in the best shape possible. I've heard Volvo repairs are ludicrously expensive and I would like to "DIY" as much as possible. I'm certainly no mechanic, and I'm pretty much a "newb" with cars (I've done some body repair and changed the oil on my own a few times but that is it), but I have the patience to learn and the willingness to work on a project.

So, I may be posting some fairly basic car questions and maintenance queries in the 940 section, but bear with me...I'm learning and loving it!:)

Thanks,
volvomang

redbottle 08-22-2009 04:35 PM

newb

Welcome to "THE REALM"

Here you will find your answers....

Here you will find your fears...

HUH? what the heck am I talking about...just kidding man, congrats on your purchase. Yeah, I got that reaction from my "bad@ss", karate trained, big rig mechanic of my uncle. Yes, they are pricier to fix than others. I have a 850 Turbo wagon and as of today, with the help of guidance from"THE REALM", I found the freaking problem I had for the last month!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was my fault though. I forgot a step and I shorted a part...but found it for 10 dollars at the junk yard. Try the sponsor of this site FCPGROTON or IPD for your parts. well best wishes....

may you prosper in your 940 my son...GUEEEHHHHHUU.....I am your fatha...

Somthngfrce 08-22-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by volvomang (Post 177429)
Hello everyone:)!
I would like to "DIY" as much as possible. I'm certainly no mechanic, and I'm pretty much a "newb" with cars (I've done some body repair and changed the oil on my own a few times but that is it), but I have the patience to learn and the willingness to work on a project.

volvomang

Some on here are mechanics. Some of us are learning to be mechanics on our bricks. In the end, we learn of each other! Welcome :D

gilber33 08-22-2009 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Somthngfrce (Post 177529)
Some on here are mechanics. Some of us are learning to be mechanics on our bricks. In the end, we learn of each other! Welcome :D

That....was deep.

JPN 08-23-2009 02:13 AM

Welcome to the Dark Side...:).

JPN