New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

I really need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really need help.

Hi folks really hope someone can help me. I bought a 2009 v50 with the 1.6d engine recently. I knew mine was a bit sluggish and thought that was normal for such a big car with smsll enginr. But after driving another one I realised just how slow it was. Like really slow(my wifes 1.4 golf feels faster) Its as if there is no turbo,there is no feeling of turbo coming into boost or anything.
Anyway I had a quick look at the pipework from the turbo and spotted an oil leak coming from the hard intercooler hose connected directly to the turbo so I tightened up the bolts as they seemed a bit loose. That is litteraly all i did so I start the car to take it for a spin and it comes up on dash reduced performance mode. But the car now has way more power than it did? I can hear (which i couldnt before)and feel the turbo spooling up. The turbo is properly loud which I know it shouldn't be. The car feels like it has more than the 110bhp it's supposed to have. So my question for you is why is it saying reduced performance if I have more power and why has the turbo become so loud? All from just tightening a bolt. Hopefully someone can help as I can't really afford to bring it to the garage just after buying it. Hopefully I havnt bought an absolute lemon needing a new turbo.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:28 AM

So an update. Went out this morning and reduced engine performance is still showing but it's back to being really slow again,not limp mode slow but definitely down on power

Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a car that as far as I know isn't available in the USA, so I've never seen one. 1600cc turbo diesel. So diesels are a different kind of problem solving than petrol engines. Literally there is no throttle, it simply goes faster when more fuel is squirted in. So, bottom line, if you have performance issues it's because you aren't getting proper fuel. This would indicate something like, fuel pump, fuel filter kind of thing.

Turbo noise should increase with power delivery. It seems unlikely but still possible that there is a massive air leak between the turbo and the engine intake. The car will still run fine, but have no power. Like the side split out of the intake tubing after the turbo, or the intercooler has a big hole from a stone or something like that.

Final worst case would be that the turbo has seized, or the waste gate is stuck open. I've never seen one do that, but it's possible. Seems the most likely thing would be fuel pump or filter. I hope it's that simple. Good luck, don't give up. I ran before, it will run again.

Last edited by eflexter; 10-22-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:40 PM

I know you can hear turbo spoiling up but this was stupidly loud like you would hear on a petrol with a huge turbo. I had a look and cant see any cracks or hear any air leaks. Car actually sounds quiet healthy other than when it was making mad turbo sounds that one time.
I think 'm going to bite the bullet anyway and send it to a Volvo garage for diagnostics. On the way home last night I got an anti skid service required aswel as the reduced performance warning and couldn't rev past 3000rpm in any gear. Driving to work today and it was fine No warnings. Car has a mind of its own. So rather than doing more damage I'll take the hit and let the experts tell me what's up. Hopefully nothing too expensive

Old 10-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does make some sense that you have a bad wheel speed sensor. If the car think's that one of the wheels is spinning, it will reduce the throttle, even if you have it floored. That would explain your warning lights. If that is true, then the dealer is probably the best way to get it repaired anyway.

The turbo noise is still strange, maybe unrelated. Possibly some computer failure could be driving the whole thing too. Dealer is a good way to go.