Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   My RPM Drops very Low and also a P0026 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/my-rpm-drops-very-low-also-p0026-97591/)

shizo 08-28-2018 03:23 PM

My RPM Drops very Low and also a P0026

Hello All, I am new here and also this is my first Volvo which is S40 2005 2.4i.

While driving, I notice that my RPM usually goes very Low on the dashboard to like 200 and sometimes to Zero but the engine never goes off and the car doesn't jerk but that really scares me.

More like, when I am on speed and I slow down to the minimum, I expect that it would stay btw 600-800.

So what I did was to check the live data on my scanner to see what was reflecting and to my surprise is read 700+ which normal but the pointer is on Zero.

So when I stop the car and restart it, the RPM stays normal and this may or may not happen again that day. So I began to think if it was a power issue. So I changed my alternator and battery but still it happens.
The only error code I have is P0026 which I have changed the VVT sensor near the timing belt and changed oil but still keeps coming back.

Can anyone assist based on knowledge and experience.
Thanks

eflexter 08-28-2018 03:57 PM

Having Idle issues would be expected with VVT problems. I'm guessing that there is some kind of wiring problem. Perhaps a bad connector. This would cause Tachometer errors and VVT codes, and other things.

Bad or dirty connections often cause problems only occasionally, and older cars often have wires that have worn insulation so they short circuit. Careless mechanics sometimes don't get the wiring connections plugged back in securely, or break off the lock tabs, and they vibrate loose.

If I were you, I would carefully clean all connections and grounds and inspect all wiring involved with the VVT solenoids, especially around the top of the engine where heat and previous maintenance often breaks things.

shizo 08-28-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by eflexter (Post 464816)
Having Idle issues would be expected with VVT problems. I'm guessing that there is some kind of wiring problem. Perhaps a bad connector. This would cause Tachometer errors and VVT codes, and other things.

Bad or dirty connections often cause problems only occasionally, and older cars often have wires that have worn insulation so they short circuit. Careless mechanics sometimes don't get the wiring connections plugged back in securely, or break off the lock tabs, and they vibrate loose.

If I were you, I would carefully clean all connections and grounds and inspect all wiring involved with the VVT solenoids, especially around the top of the engine where heat and previous maintenance often breaks things.

Thank you eflexter

I was also thinking in that direction that could it be the Wiring and so what I did was to see it the computer reads the Solenoid in the first place.

So I removed the connector from the VVT and started the car, I noticed a new error code came pointing to No VVT being connected but this particular code P0026 talk about Bad/Performance of the solenoid.

​​​​​​Will buying a brand new VVT solve this?

Maybe I will get a new wire for that.

​​​​​
​​