New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

An old generation for the new generation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An old generation for the new generation

Hi all!
I sat here for hours being bored and wishing my brand new old car was with me...and then I got and idea; In order to stop being so fidgety and love sick I'll tell all of you about my first car.

So here we go! About a week ago I took $500 about an hour and a half south from my house and signed the papers to buy a 1982 240 DL. This was initially going to just be a car to get me around for a few moths before I could afford to get a truck. WELL TO HECK WITH THAT!

After driving it for about ten minutes it was clear there were issues, but as always it was nothing that couldn't be fixed. Things like distributors, fuel lines, new tires, and wiper blades are the worst of it and it's been estimated by our current mechanic that it will cost a little over $100, not bad eh?

So the rest of this car is immaculate. I mean spotless! There's a tiny spot of rust on the truck but it's easily passed over unless you look for it. The interior is in great shape as well, though some things are broken and the seats are a little worn.

I like to joke that this car is keeping an eye out for me. The night I bought it I was with my mom, the rain was pouring, and it was DARK. Now, I only got my license at the beginning of January and I've never driven in the rain or alone at night on the freeway, so when it came time to drive the cars home, I was nervous to say the least. After starting several times perfectly, and passing all electrical and "pre-flight" tests the Volvo suddenly would not run it's wipers. This was awesome. I wasn't ready and thanks to a faulty wire the car prevented me from getting into a bad situation.

Then it happened again. We drove back down, ready to take the car to the local mechanic and I was all set and ready to drive the car the the shop. My boyfriend and I had started the car several times and it had been running rough, but running all the same. The hour of departure rolled around and I turned the key, nothing, not even the familiar buzz or click. I tried again, clicking this time, but no spark. The battery was dead. Again this was a fortunate event because had we driven the car we would have most likely managed to get stuck somewhere where we couldn't leave the car, thus having to push the car in the rain(Yuck).

So now it's been towed to the shop, had it's vacuum leak fixed and is scheduled for fuel line replacements, a new distributor, and hopefully a little polish.

Phew! thanks for reading all this! and I'll let you know when my baby comes home

-Mandy

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Volvo family.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but at the end of the day, you will still LOVE your 240.. My old 240 was the same way. I got it home and it sat in the garage for 2 weeks while I did some work to it. I miss it.... Welcome to the Forum!