Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Backup camera install

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S60 Backup camera install

Anyone had experience retrofitting a backup camera in a 2015.5 S60?
My car has the premier trim level, BLIS system, front and rear audible warnings and Sensus Connect installed. When I press the button (unmarked) on the console for the backup camera, it says, "camera not installed". Same thing on the "My Car" screen.
So it's apparent that the wiring is all there.
I would prefer to have the camera integrated into the existing display, just like OEM.
My dealer gave me a quote for the parts necessary ($1,066) plus 1.5 hours of labor for them to do it.
I would prefer to do the installation myself even though I'm forced to take it to the dealer for the software install to activate it. I can also save about $150-200 by buying the parts from Volvo wholesale.
Parts quoted include a Camera 181 ($850) and a mounting kit.($123) plus the software update ($34). I'm put off by the dealer quote since my search reveals that they quoted an obsolete part number for the camera. I also wonder if it comes with a lot of other components which may not be necessary and inflates the cost. The bare camera sells for about $350 vs. the camera kit for $850.
Do I really need the mounting kit? Don't know what's in it. Dealer says it will come with a new panel for the trunk lid where the camera is mounted. yet the panel on my car looks like it already has a knock-out where the camera goes.
VIN is YV126MFK2F1344XXX.
Seems like a lot of conflicting procedures on the web. I gather there's a difference between the 2015 and 2015.5 and if it has BLIS and/or Sensus Connect.
Looking for some guidance here.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

SP - this is in the "New Members Area". Let the mods know if you prefer this to be in the S60 model specific forum.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Default Dear moderator

Originally Posted by mt6127
SP - this is in the "New Members Area". Let the mods know if you prefer this to be in the S60 model specific forum.
Yes, I think it would be more appropriate to be in the S60 forum. Would appreciate it if you would move it there.
Thank you.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did his topic just die? I'm curious if this was ever resolved? I have a 2015 Volvo S60 I got from vroom but it doesn't have a camera. I would like to install one if possible.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:29 PM
Default 2015.5 S60 backup camera

Did it get resolved? I ended up doing the installation myself. I did buy an installation kit and found most of that was unnecessary. All the wiring was already in place since I have the 2015.5 Premier version with Sensus. There was certainly confusion about the part numbers recommended by the dealer and the Volvo parts Online outfit. It was too long ago to remember the details other than ripping out all the trim from trunk, seats, moldings and panel parts only to find out all the wiring was there. I didn't need the 2 foot long trunk panel because the cutout for the camera was already there and all I had to do was to plug in the camera. The control panel did not originally have a switch for the camera and I replaced the knock out with a switch. Seems unneccesary since it's always on. Haven't used it once in 4 years. So I saved some but could have saved more if the dealer had given me the proper part numbers despite having my VIN.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:42 PM

Thank you for the update! I'm going to go check out my car and see if it's already pre-wired. I did notice I do have the knock-out for the camera already.

Was there any software updates needed for it to work?

(Also, I called my closest dealer -in Tallahassee- and they just blatantly told me no it wasn't possible for me to install a back-up camera after putting in my VIN. I find this hard to believe.)

Old 06-24-2022, 10:08 PM

Yes, I had to go to the dealer to get the software for the camera. No option there.
Easiest way to see if the wiring is there is to look for a plug where the camera would be installed in the trunk trim. Not having to pull out all the trim would be a big benefit time-wise. Also I bought a trim tool kit which you shouldn't need. Plus I broke some of the plastic attaching pins which was another expense since some are unique to Volvo (i.e. expensive OEM parts).
Dealer originally specified camera kit 31470242 but that was changed to 3204200 (Camera kit for keyless vehicles)
Also specified Mounting kit 31439150 but that was changed to 31664333. I might have used a couple of small parts in it but the trim piece and lots of wiring were not needed. The revised part number was about the same price as the first one.
I found a YouTube videol even though it was for an installation requiring new wiring. Finding out how some of the dash components need to be removed was very helpful.
All this happened in 2018 and the camera has worked perfectly ever since. Only maintenance is occasionally cleaning the camera lens after driving in the rain on a muddy road.

Have you also updated the software for the GPS system? That's available on-line for free.

Old 09-30-2023, 05:09 AM

I plan on attempting this as well, but am unsure of the scope and costs. My 2015 S60 Premier has the $95 Accessory Prep Cable from the Factory so I believe I am “Wiring” safe. I also have a functional Button on the Dash for the Camera (it isn’t labeled or backlit but does depress resulting in a pop up saying no camera installed). Seeing the Dealer costs and being relatively cheap I am going to try resourcing the needed Parts Used, I know the Camera but what else do I need (Modules)? Other than installing the Camera in the Trunk lid, do I need to access any other areas such as behind the Dash? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-30-2023, 05:10 AM

I forgot to mention my model also came with Keyes’s Start, Keyless Entry, and Navigation.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ALPO18
I plan on attempting this as well, but am unsure of the scope and costs. My 2015 S60 Premier has the $95 Accessory Prep Cable from the Factory so I believe I am “Wiring” safe. I also have a functional Button on the Dash for the Camera (it isn’t labeled or backlit but does depress resulting in a pop up saying no camera installed). Seeing the Dealer costs and being relatively cheap I am going to try resourcing the needed Parts Used, I know the Camera but what else do I need (Modules)? Other than installing the Camera in the Trunk lid, do I need to access any other areas such as behind the Dash? Any help would be appreciated.
Wow! That was 5 years ago so you're taxing my aging memory. Yes, I had to get behind the dash display by taking out the radio, etc in order to plug in the cable which was already there. However, my car had no camera button, only a blank so your wiring is likely to be different. Seems like they made a change with every vehicle produced. I'd suggest you get the camera without its installation kit. Should plug right in. Then see if the button gives you a different message. In any event you have to go to the dealer to activate the software. That would be a wasted trip if you first have to get behind the dash and plug the wiring into the control module. I'm not familiar with the Accessory wiring option so can't answer the question. I'd try the dealer, or a Volvo on-line parts outlet for advice. If you have to get behind the console, there are videos on-line showing how to do it.

The following users liked this post:
ALPO18 (10-01-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 05:11 PM

So there was no additional “Module” needed, in your case, just the Camera and some cabling. What year was your car, and did it have Navigation from the factory? Yeah I do have a Button that functions resulting in a pop up saying no camera installed but it “appears” to be a blank with no label. I have seen several used Cameras in Salvage yards and on various Web Sites for less than $100, but am trying to find out if the eventual costs and/or labor would be worth it. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:47 PM

If you look back at all the entries in this thread you'll find all the infoI have/had. I certainly didn't buy any modules. Just lots of extra cabling that turned out not to be necessary. I really don't know if the camera cable in your car is plugged into the control module behind the Sensus display . It was not in mine.But you have an extra cable option which I did not buy. What was that supposed to be for? You definitely have to go to a dealer to get the software updated. No other option on that. I'd try contacting a dealer other than the one in Tallahassee, they just seem to want to get you into their shop. Surely a camera can be installed in your model.

The following users liked this post:
ALPO18 (10-01-2023)