Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   XC 90 Engine Fire (https://volvoforums.com/forum/new-members-area-4/xc-90-engine-fire-98098/)

mfkalt74 10-14-2018 12:31 PM

XC 90 Engine Fire

I had been leasing a 2017 XC 90. Aside from having to replace the rotors twice (both times under warranty), we’d had no problems and generally enjoyed driving the car. All that changed three weeks ago. While driving home with my two young children in their car seats, I exited the highway. At the first traffic light, as the car idled, I noticed unusual smoke that appeared to come from the hood. At first, I assumed that it was exhaust from a truck in front of us (none of the dashboard gauges showed anything unusual), but as that truck pulled away, it was clear that my engine was smoking. I quickly pulled over, woke up my kids, got them out of their seats, and moved away from the car. A passerby on the street called 911, as in my haste, I’d left my phone in the console. Before the fire department arrived, less than 5 minutes later, the entire front of the car erupted in flames. Photos below -

If this wasn’t bad enough, Volvo has taken absolutely no responsibility for what occurred. There was no follow-up to see if me or my family were ok, no offer of a loaner car, no attempt whatsoever to make it right. Instead, I was told to deal with my insurance company.

I will never, ever purchase another Volvo again. We’re going back to Audi. Just wanted anyone considering a purchase to keep this in mind before choosing Volvo.

[img]blob:https://volvoforums.com/986043b0-f928-4725-9fac-ae9085268214[/img]

[img]blob:https://volvoforums.com/731b2dd2-2c92-48fb-b88d-07f314b8f472

mt6127 10-14-2018 09:59 PM

Sorry about your issue but I find it troublesome that you'd post your logic of "my Volvo had an issue therefore all Volvo have issues". I suppose it wouldn't help me to mention my cousin who had his BMW 750 similarly catch fire... Not sure why you'd expect Volvo to step in - isn't that why you carry insurance? It would have been more useful to the community if you noted something about your car leading up to the incident like the car was serviced and it smelled of gas...

mfkalt74 10-14-2018 10:11 PM

The car was serviced only at the dealer. And it never smelled like gas, nor did any gauge register an abnormality, even while the engine was smoldering. And yes, I would expect Volvo, when confronted with photos of a flaming hood, to perhaps even pretend to care about the well being of the passengers inside of the car, particularly given that two of them were in car seats.

As for you cousin’s BMW, that would be perfectly relevant information to submit on a BMW forum. So if you feel like doing so, be my guest.

ES6T 10-14-2018 10:38 PM

Why would Volvo immediately claim responsibility without inveatigating what caused the fire?

mfkalt74 10-14-2018 11:15 PM

It’s been three weeks. And they’ve been completely unresponsive. But you guys are right, it’s totally normal for an engine to spontaneously catch fire. Why should Volvo treat it as anything other than another day at the office...

ES6T 10-15-2018 07:38 AM

I'm not saying it's normal. It certainly is not. That's why the cause needs to be investigated. How do you know you didn't hit something that ruptured a fuel line? You are obviously here for one reason and that is to trash the brand when you do not know the cause of the fire.

mfkalt74 10-15-2018 07:52 AM

It’s been over three weeks. There has been absolutely no communication. This isn’t the Kennedy Assassination. It’s pretty clear that Volvo is stonewalling me.

And you’re right, I am absolutely here to trash a brand that put me in a $60k car that caught on fire while my kids were asleep in their car seats - and hasn’t done so much as apologize for it.

ES6T 10-15-2018 08:24 AM

Right, it caught fire. But again, you don't know the cause.

mt6127 10-15-2018 12:49 PM

dealers have service managers who oversee the shop and there are factory reps who support the dealers. I'm really unclear of your point of trying to see if Volvo will take ownership of the problem - are you assuming there is a design flaw or want to see if there was something done during servicing? Your other avenue of recourse is to work through your insurance company - afterall they'd be writing a check for $50K so if anybody would have an incentive to push Volvo on their discovery it would be the insurance company. The likely outcome here is the dealer and Volvo will do an investigation and it will be logged and reported to the feds as part of recall processes. if there is something that is found to be systemic (meaning litigation or a potential recall), you or your insurance company would be identifiable for any outreach. If you think there is some potential neglect here then you'd have to talk to your attorneys who'd have to build a case based on evidence.