Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://volvoforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-23/)
-   -   2000 S40 Turbo Question. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-23/2000-s40-turbo-question-24926/)

mobman 11-22-2008 08:18 PM

2000 S40 Turbo Question.

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2000 S40 with around 154K miles on it. It drives neat at around 2-3.5K RPM but anything over that the car barely picks up speed do you think it maybe a blown turbo? ANything I can do to check what may be the cause? I dont really know if the turbo has ever been serviced since I just bought it and dont know the previous owner but on the upper RPM range I think even civics are faster.

If there are turbokits, which one do you recommend for replacement?
Thank you for the inputs.

TIPSP 11-22-2008 11:47 PM

RE: 2000 S40 Turbo Question.

Take off the Airbox to turbo hose and check if the turbo shaft has play in it.

Wiggle it side to side and up and down. If it moves you will need a new turbo or get it rebuilt. Not sure on kits, but I think the turbo Manufac..should supply rebuilding kits.

You can also get a used one aon this site or another site, or a junkyard, or a volvo dealership.

mobman 11-23-2008 12:02 AM

thanks for the info, how much do u think does it cost to get it rebuilt? I am seeing brand new T12s and 14s sell for about $500 on ebay, they come directly from Japan would that be a good option?

TIPSP 11-23-2008 12:12 AM

I have never had a rebuilt so not sure on pricing i would assume a kit is $150-$300 or having some else do it for $600

Alsong as you get one that matches you model number, and you trust the ebay seller....go for it

Click here for your turbo model: http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com...lange_list.htm

Looks like you need the 14T model.

mobman 11-23-2008 12:27 AM

whoa...according to that chart i have a 14T already installed?? Arent they able to be boosted to higher boost levels than a 12T?? Yet stock output is like 7-8 PSI?

TIPSP 11-23-2008 12:32 AM

Well I think you have the High pressure turbo, so you should have the 14T.

yes it should be able to hold 17psi from a ecu tune/upgrade or a chip.

If you just do a MBC (manual boost controller) the fuel cuts out at 15.5psi.

mobman 11-23-2008 12:42 AM

Good stufff! so here is another question. I am quite new to boosting so how does a Manual boost controller work? Where do i install it? Where do i get one? I been wanting to just up the boost. Btw...can I up the boost without ECU upgrade or will that damage the engine?

TIPSP 11-23-2008 12:55 AM

Here you can find them.

Install a boost gauge first.

the MBC goes fromthe intake manifold or turboto the wastegate. I put mine from the wastegate to the nipple on the turbo.

Click here for MBC 101.

You should have no problems if you run 10-12psi.

Good luck.

mobman 11-23-2008 07:09 PM

Ok i have two more questions before I start this project (I have already ordered the MBC and a boost gauge)

1) For my boost gauge, can I tap the line that goes from the wastegate actuator to the turbo? Would that cause any boost leaks or incorrect readings on the gauge?
2) Instead of increasing the boost, is it also possible to totally shut off the boost with an MBC? For example if I wanted to adjust it to save gas?? Or is there always going to be some boost in the intake side of the system? I am assuming if one could completely open the wastegate at all times the turbo wouldnt spool as much and produce boost but how could this be done aside from using an MBC?

TIPSP 11-23-2008 07:51 PM

For the gauge...I would tap in to the lines at the intake manifold.

For the MBC. It only increases the boost. the only way you can decrease the psi would be to adjust the wastegate itself to run full open Ie. no boost.

mobman 11-30-2008 07:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Hey there,

So i got the MBC today. I did a lil experiment and revved the engine up to 5-6K to see whether the wastegate actuator would engage and for some reason it did not!! Now there could be 3 things wrong when this happens.

1) The wastegate actuator rod is stuck
2) The boost is bled off somewhere and never actually reaches the wastegate actuator
3) the turbo is bad

1 can be eliminated because if it was really stuck I'd overboost the crap out of my engine and had blown the engine long time ago and 3 can be eliminated because I can feel the HP when flooring it and I know for a fact that boost is produced so the turbo seems to be good. Leaving me with only option 2.

So I decided to take a closer look. I take off the plastic cover over the TB and this is what I see:

Attachment 23241
Attachment 23242

Correct me if I am wrong, but arent those bleeder valves?? Not one...but 3!!! This may be the very reason why the wastegate actuator never engages. So for those of you who installed an MBC on a 2000 S40...where did you install it? Did you take these bleeder valves off completely? My boost gauge is on its way so I once I receive it I can be for certain if those are bleeder valves but wanted to get some advice from someone who has already done this install. Thanks!

TIPSP 12-01-2008 01:07 AM

I believe that is the problem with the newer cars. They are hard to use a MBC so it is ideal to get a tune or upgraded ECU. I haven't installed a MBC on the newer cars, so I will let someone else answer. I would think you have to putthe MBCafter all valves, but wait for someone else to tell you. If worse comes to worse, you can return the MBC and try turning the wastegate rod (though not sure how the car would like that either, and it is not recommended), orget a chip for the car. That is if your budget is still $300-$500.

mobman 12-01-2008 01:27 AM

Hopefully someone will....waiting for some insights. The problem with those valves is...one of them is going to the intake tube...before the turbo, so excess boost is diverted back into the intake system. there are two more valves and tubes and I have no idea where they are going. I was thinking how about putting the MBC before the valves? that way if the desired boost is reached...the MBC will divert boost to the bleeder valves which in turn will do whatever they normally do....bleed them off to wherever. As long as the MBC doesnt engage, boost will never be bled off which means more power!

ajbalmat 12-26-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mobman (Post 130454)
Hey there,

So i got the MBC today. I did a lil experiment and revved the engine up to 5-6K to see whether the wastegate actuator would engage and for some reason it did not!! Now there could be 3 things wrong when this happens.

1) The wastegate actuator rod is stuck
2) The boost is bled off somewhere and never actually reaches the wastegate actuator
3) the turbo is bad

1 can be eliminated because if it was really stuck I'd overboost the crap out of my engine and had blown the engine long time ago and 3 can be eliminated because I can feel the HP when flooring it and I know for a fact that boost is produced so the turbo seems to be good. Leaving me with only option 2.

So I decided to take a closer look. I take off the plastic cover over the TB and this is what I see:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...550/photo3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...550/photo2.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but arent those bleeder valves?? Not one...but 3!!! This may be the very reason why the wastegate actuator never engages. So for those of you who installed an MBC on a 2000 S40...where did you install it? Did you take these bleeder valves off completely? My boost gauge is on its way so I once I receive it I can be for certain if those are bleeder valves but wanted to get some advice from someone who has already done this install. Thanks!

ok first of all, there is no way to install a manual boost controller and know how much boost pressure the turbo is making just by revving it up in neutral or park sitting still. you need to install the boost controller (which is just a fancy term for air regulator) in between the intake manifold and the wastegate vacuum port on top of the wastegate housing. another way is to put it in between the compressor housing of the turbo and the wastegate vacuum port, but then you don't know exactly how much boost pressure your turbo is making, just how much boost pressure the intake manifold is experiencing.

ok, so after you properly install the MBC, you need to set it to it's most open setting, i.e. boost bypass; blah blah blah, whatever setting so that it won't increase boost pressure. drive the car. (oh i forgot to mention that it is imperative that you have a boost guage installed also) however much boost pressure it maxes out is what the stock wastegate setting is. so say it's 8 psi, get out, turn the MBC however much to get a little more boost pressure. drive the car again. hopefully it increased at least 1-2 psi. if you made 1/2 a revolution of the knob, then make another 1/2 rev until you get whatever desired boost amount.

NOTE: you must drive the car! turbos are load driven. when it's sitting still it's not moving hardly any air. the wastegate actuator will not move while revving the car in neutral at a standstill.

Lyonsroar 01-10-2010 05:19 PM

Yeah, you wouldn't believe the number of people we get on s40concepts that freak out when their boost gauge doesn't work after they rev it up in park after putting it in. You gotta be driving to build decent boost.

Adamss 09-24-2016 11:16 AM

02 volvo s40 1.9t

Hello,
I have a 02 volvo s40 1.9t, their are two questions I have

1) Is their any way to boost up my car without adding any upgrades?
2) On youtube I have seen other volvos switch gear around 8k,my car switches around 5.5k is this a problem? If not how can I make the rpms higher?