Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://volvoforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-23/)
-   -   2007 S80 V8... Supercharger. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-23/2007-s80-v8-supercharger-88354/)

VolvoSuperSeries8 05-02-2016 02:53 PM

2007 S80 V8... Supercharger.

Seems a little obvious that this question is'nt gonna get any good responses, but I'd rather be sure of that before I start ****ting money to try and make this project happen. (Short story) Need my B8444S (yamaha 4.4l V8) to produce 450HP without a turbocharger. So the options are SUPERCHARGE or..... well I think thats the only option. Does anyone, anywhere, have any kind of knowledge on this matter? "custom intake manifolds" "Eaton M90 SC's" these are the only two phrases, (followed by "maybe" and "possibly") that I ever hear from anyone. Short of John Hennessey (who wants more than I could ever afford for the project) No one seems to have any factual knowledge on this attainable pipe dream. Soooo !HELP WANTED!

ES6T 05-02-2016 03:56 PM

No one has knowledge because most people are not going to spend the money necessary to do something like that.

Yes, you would need a custom intake manifold, at the very least. Then a way to drive the supercharger. And of course some sort of programming, at the very least, so that it will run well.

VolvoSuperSeries8 05-03-2016 08:51 AM

I do have a friend from high school who has made a bunch of custom intake manifolds, so I already have him looking at that. But I'm still kind of in limbo with knowledge on a supercharger to use.

ES6T 05-03-2016 09:12 AM

Honestly, it isn't worth doing. There are a lot of factors that play in to something like this. It isn't just a matter of bolting it on and going racing.

VolvoSuperSeries8 05-03-2016 09:33 AM

Well I'm sure you would agree there is more to it than that for most cars. If thats the worst aspect of this, lots of work, and lots of money. Then its something Im prepared to deal with, I just wanna make sure its done properly. (My deceased grandfather raced F1 and formula atlantic, for chevron, McLaren, and Volvo) He always wanted a V8 Volvo. So as silly as it seems, its worth it to me. :/

VolvoSuperSeries8 05-03-2016 09:39 AM

And I'm not dropping an LS3 into an 850R. I already had a mechanic who "specializes" in that type of thing tell me its the way to go.

ES6T 05-03-2016 09:54 AM

A whole lot less complicated in an 850, as it was a way less complicated car.

This is complicated because there isn't a market of people looking to do this, so there aren't lots readily available. This will likely be the only one, so be prepared to spend a ton of money and don't expect someone to come along on the internet with a step by step guide to follow.

VolvoSuperSeries8 05-03-2016 11:14 AM

I agree with everything you have said here. I just really wanted to be sure that I have done the most researching, chatting, and asking that I can do before I push this project any further. Pretty sure I've done as much of those as I can for now. suppose its time to just get into the garage and work it out. When its finished I'll make sure to report back with photos of the journey. Just in case anyone else as crazy/dumb as me comes along.

tryingbe 06-05-2016 06:07 PM

Put in 150hp shot of nitrous.

VolvoSuperSeries8 06-06-2016 08:34 AM

After is has 450hp naturally aspirated. I would like to get a 150-100 shot of N2O. Probably only use it once though, cause I'm sure it would destroy my transmission.

tryingbe 06-06-2016 09:52 AM

I guess you don't need to have the car inspected by the state either?

VolvoSuperSeries8 06-06-2016 03:56 PM

No I do, PA has some of the worst inspection laws. Which is why I choose not to follow them, my inspection ran out in January. My emissions and registration is up to date though!

chasewiththes70 08-12-2021 01:34 PM

Update?

Did you end up doing the project? Would love an update

chasewiththes70 08-12-2021 01:39 PM

Update?

Did you end up doing the project? Would love an update