Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://volvoforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-23/)
-   -   What the best volvo turbo RWD? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-23/what-best-volvo-turbo-rwd-76417/)

Davidezinho 02-03-2014 04:39 PM

What the best volvo turbo RWD?

Hello to all,

I need help regarding choosing what the best volvo rwd with turbo? or rather what is the best engine to prepare to participate in hill climb and track days?

In your opinion what is the best car / engine?
volvo 740 turbo
volvo 740 turbo 16V
volvo 960

I liked to prepare my volvo to have more horse power, but also wanted it to be reliable ...

I am waiting for the help of all... ;)

I saw this video clip and is what I intend to do with my volvo... :D

best regards
david

rspi 02-03-2014 05:02 PM

Hi David:

I would say the B230FT motor. I don't like the video, it really never showed what kind of car that was.

There are some nicer video's on YouTube and in the Sight N Sound section.

I know guys that have those cars really modded well and are driven daily.

Davidezinho 02-04-2014 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 379680)
Hi David:

I would say the B230FT motor. I don't like the video, it really never showed what kind of car that was.

There are some nicer video's on YouTube and in the Sight N Sound section.

I know guys that have those cars really modded well and are driven daily.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

That engine (B230FT) is fitted to the Volvo 740 Turbo? Itīs a 8V but are this car with 16V engine? What the best 8V or 16V?

Best Regards
David

rspi 02-04-2014 09:13 AM

I don't know if the 8 valve is better than the 16 valve. I'd have to ask. I believe the 8 valve motor is non-interference. So a broken timing belt should not harm it.

Davidezinho 02-07-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 379723)
I don't know if the 8 valve is better than the 16 valve. I'd have to ask. I believe the 8 valve motor is non-interference. So a broken timing belt should not harm it.

Ok... at the moment i have possibilit to buy a Volvo 740 Turbo with B204GT engine... in or opinion itīs a good engine???http://olx-t.imgrap.com/ui/29/86/65/...g?x=1390912691

drenman 06-24-2017 07:26 AM

You can have whatever you want, I've done this too. I've owned 960's, yeah....they haul ass, but I'd NEVER do a "project car" with the base being 960. It would HAVE TO be 940, or 240, or 740 but square lights black grille. If you're gonna bling it up. If you're looking for an all in one package? I'd say go for the '94-'95 940 model year, 8 Valve SOHC motors. I mean, if money was no object, I'd do a 960, in a 70's 240, w/frame up custom everything. I'd have someone tig weld me a plenum, and some headers, and start winning trophies, but money is an object and to stay RWD, in my opinion your best bet for less headaches are the 940 FTs. You can mod the older B230FTs to add the piston oil squirters, if you have machine/metal working tools, and the knowledge or skills, go for it.

I DO have them, hell with some time I'm sure I could tig well, I CAN Mig, but doing TIG right, takes time... I used to own a high end Bicycle shop, talking $10k road bikes, and we were an Independent Fabrications dealer. I went up there, watching guys/and gals, doing uber thin walled Ti, and high tech Reynolds, taper walled stainless steel, 915 steel tubesets, inert gas, whatnot, it....is NOT easy, for me anyway. I can grab a Lincoln buzz box and spray some slag, and grind it pretty if it's sheet steel anyday, but TIG... I'd have to relearn it all. (I had a massive autoimmune lesion onset, so large it was really a brain injury/stroke class, T.B.I., so I had to relearn a lot again, walking talking, etc. Playing guitar...I kinda know what I can, and can't do, TIG...plus the tools, you can't skimp, even USED good gear isn't cheap)

A good idea is to pick up where someone else started. I found an '89 740 TI wagon, with TONS of Go-Fast parts, and the price is stupid. I learned my lesson, I'm not saying where...

drenman 06-24-2017 07:30 AM

oh hey...this post is 3 years old...I told you I had brain injury.