Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   North East (https://volvoforums.com/forum/north-east-43/)
-   -   My 960 Wagon was totaled! In CT, What to buy next??? Help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/north-east-43/my-960-wagon-totaled-ct-what-buy-next-help-75067/)

drenman 11-24-2013 04:02 PM

My 960 Wagon was totaled! In CT, What to buy next??? Help

So my 960 was totaled. No witnesses, and no fault could be assigned. Even though the other driver was totally at fault, I tied to a four way stop w/a honda sedan, I was turning left, let the honda go...made my turn and the SUV behind them, accelerated right to..and through the stop sign into me. I guess that question on the driver's exam about "What does a red octagonal sign mean?" really does apply to some people.

I've only ever had 4 series cars/wagons and almost all wagons.
940s. I loved my 960, it was such a sleeper....some kid pulls up to you in some crappy toyo etc. w/a fart machine pipe on the back and you just calmly step on the throttle and watch them go away in amazement.

Still...wasn't to easy on the gas $$$ these days...

I have probably answered my own question but...I love the 940's for their trim, look, the seat because I'm 6'5" w/a 32" inseam all upper body height and a back that shouldn't be working..crushed discs, scar tumors in my spine, M.S. etc. Plus, you can go to home depot, and if it doesn't fit in the back, you can throw it on the roof.

You don't care if you spill something in it, because it's not new. It goes, goes, and goes. You can fix a TON of the things on it, because you already have. Did I mention they run forever? The original sport utility vehicle.

So yeah. I guess I'd buy a 740 for sure, or another 960, but I love these cars, wagons ESPECIALLY!!!

Is there anything anywhere near as reliable? 240's are nice, but the seats are just too uncomfortable, unsupportive, and I need an automatic. I've heard some horror stories about the 850s being money pits, and the Fordvos...yeah, well, nice looking but I need something I can put another 100k on with relative reliability. If I'm wrong...let me know. Keep in mind, I like to keep my new car purchases down to 3k, 2.5k even better so, a 93-97 740,940, maybe 960...parts and gas are really expensive though...

I do like the LOOK, drive, and feel of the 2001 post V70XC wagons, just not sure about the reliability.

Thank you!

I like my Saabs too...

admasters 12-04-2013 07:57 PM

a possible option

drenman,
How badly damaged is your 960? I have a very solid 960 for sale. No body damage, no rust, all glass and most interior electrics are intact. I am stripping interior works for my 740. I also took the headlamps and grille, but have the 740 parts with the car. The engine has a broken timing belt and the transmission is strong but the PNP switch is shot. The speedometer no longer works. I have the seat frames, with working motors and the driver's side and passenger side seat switches.
Shoot me a message or call directly 8six0-38six-six199 (north central CT).
Andrew

drenman 12-05-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by admasters (Post 373681)
drenman,
How badly damaged is your 960? I have a very solid 960 for sale. No body damage, no rust, all glass and most interior electrics are intact. I am stripping interior works for my 740. I also took the headlamps and grille, but have the 740 parts with the car. The engine has a broken timing belt and the transmission is strong but the PNP switch is shot. The speedometer no longer works. I have the seat frames, with working motors and the driver's side and passenger side seat switches.
Shoot me a message or call directly 860-386-6199 (north central CT).
Andrew

It's gone. Totaled, I need a new car I can drive away. There have been a few of the other XC70's, '01, etc. but I just don't trust them.

admasters 12-05-2013 12:08 PM

too bad

drenman,
Too bad, I shared your love of the 960. Best of luck with your next brick!
Andrew

rspi 12-05-2013 12:37 PM

I have owned a few 960's, 2 a dd. I believe the 960 is the best car that Volvo has ever sold. I do miss my 960.

The P80 (fwd Volvo's between 1992 - 2000) are very reliable cars, just higher maintenance. My 850 handles it's business well, but I do spend some time fixing things, nothing that really puts it down.

If you can find a 960 wagon, do so. You should be able to keep it around $3k.

drenman 12-23-2013 09:00 AM

Found some wagons....

I'm really in love with these cars...the wagons especially.

I found a '94 940 wagon, in pretty good shape, got it for a steal not much more than a junk price to be honest. It runs, needed a few things, the return air hose from the air filter to the manifold was rotted, and now the bellows don't work on the air conditioning selector (I think that's it...could just be a vacuum hose that's my next search after this post...) It needed a window replaces, and then an oil change, tune up, some TLC here and there but you can tell this thing was garaged, and then owned by two people who took great care.

I DID find a nice '07 960 wagon in Rhode Island. I think if I can swing it, that I will go for that car if it's still available.

I think it's being a father that's gotten me solidly back into brick wagons.

I used to love my Saabs, I don't know if it's just familiarity or what but I love being able to shove whatever I want into the back of these things, strollers, etc. and go.

I'll keep you posted.

drenman 01-07-2014 06:48 PM

So...at first it was just going to be, "Buy this because renting a car will cost more...find a better wagon and sell it." But...the more I look into, and at this wagon, I like...no love it.

I prefer the NON-turbo. I'm a parent and broke, if I had money, I'd be buying an '88 red 740 Turbo Intercooler, and doing a DOHC frame up rebuild...in my powerball fantasy.

But after fixing a few things on this 940 non turbo, I remember why I LOVE these things so much. They can be fixed relatively cheaply, and by me. The 960...not so much.

And, being 6'5" all upper body height, the entry level trim of this white 940, I used to hate white cars..., has NO sunroof leaving the extra 2" of room for my head, and the upholstery looks to be in showroom condition. Plus the history of it was literally two little old ladies, and one young jerk who probably did more damage to the thing in the 20k miles he owned it than in all of the other life of the car.

It's pretty immaculate, except of course for the areas he touched. Like the window he taped up with a bag, then ripped off the door panel pleather when he pulled it off, after he let leaves and snow fill up the drivers side. Still...it's a beauty. I opened the tool kit, the original white gloves were still in the box.

It needs some TLC, new plugs, wires, etc. but I'm thinking it's a keeper. No, I know it is.

rspi 01-07-2014 09:31 PM

Cool. No better cars than the old red blocks. Tune it and rack'em up. I had over 400,000 on my 740 when I let it go.

drenman 01-10-2014 01:53 AM

What about 740s? What's the difference between them and 940s?

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 376927)
Cool. No better cars than the old red blocks. Tune it and rack'em up. I had over 400,000 on my 740 when I let it go.

My love both Volvos and Saabs, I've had three 940 wagons, one 960, and an old 240 beater wagon for my old bike shop. I've had an '87 900s sedan, a '97 900 hatchback, wish I'd kept that, and an '04 95 it all started out of a need for a car that I could fit in and have a comfortable seat. I'm 6'5" and I have 7 crushed, collapsing discs, M.S. and stuff you've never heard of, hell most doctors I see haven't heard of it. I drive with the seat so far back I can turn and look out the rear passenger window, even with my short legs, buy I can adjust the seat to the point where I'm all comfy and that's all that matters. Even the non-powered seats have all the mechanical adjustment of a power leather seat, with less to go wrong.

Can you tell me, in a nut shell, what the difference is between the 740 and the 940 series are? I'm aware of some of the trim levels, turbo/non, etc. But I made the assumption that the 940 was the "higher" trim level over the 740, however seeing that turbo/intercooler model made me wonder, and I've seen quite a few other 740s that are really cherry and done up well. And, this most recent 940 I acquired is entry level trim. I didn't even think they made 940s w/out leather, etc. No sunroof, cloth seats, which are actually in really nice condition I have to say, it's great. It's white, and I used to hate, hate, hate white cars, can't really tell you why, but I like this one for some strange reason.

I'm missing something here...or maybe there's a 940 turbo intercooler I don't know about. When I bought my first 940, the family selling it (they were Volvo nutty, like seven of them, and they had an restored 60's era wagon, not an Amazon, newer slimmer but still, in beautiful condition) showed me a '97 960 they were replacing it with. Wow. Wood trim, nice stereo, super clean. I'd still love another...but again parts, gas etc.

rspi 01-10-2014 09:22 AM

I think the 940 simply replaced the 740.

I had little to no problems with my 960's. Also, I was getting 25 mpg around town and 29-30 mpg on the highway.

drenman 01-11-2014 07:57 PM

I figured, but I wasn't sure about other trim levels within the lines themselves, I really didn't think that there was a 940 w cloth int. and no sunroof, but then again circa '94 there was no 240 and the 850 was the new darling of the line up.