Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/)
-   -   '91 740 - Totaled. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/91-740-totaled-76526/)

Alex_Daniel 02-09-2014 09:11 AM

'91 740 - Totaled.

Well, I guess we had a good run, but unfortunately the other night, a drunk driver on the highway in a Honda Pilot, slammed on her breaks in the passing lane after cutting me off, and I slammed in to her. My '91 740 is considered totaled, and I am no longer able to driver her. After looking her over good, I might consider keeping her and trying to fix her up for whatever she's worth. I don't know if there's any irreversible damage, but from what I can tell she might be up and running again in due time if I'm lucky enough. For now, though, working for Subaru, I'm off to find a cheap subie I can use to get me around. I will miss my 740. It is a sad week. With the laws here in MA it is technically completely my fault for hitting her from behind, but everyone (including my insurance) advises I fight it, and so I shall. But it's going to be a long battle.

I had a lot of problems with this car when I first got it. Not knowing much about Volvos at all, or even what to do with her, you guys have been nice enough to answer some questions of mine and help me out with a lot. Even just browsing the forums here I have managed to figure out some things I couldn't just find anywhere else, and this site proved extremely helpful to me in tough car fixin times. I would like to thank all of you for being so helpful, and welcoming. I believe I will be returning once in a while when I can afford to start fixing her up again, but I guess for now, farewell. Thank you all for everything!

rspi 02-09-2014 09:30 AM

Sad to read about the accident. It really stinks when people drive crazy, especially on the freeway.

I've seen some of these cars very cheap with no body damage so maybe you can find the parts you need.

John Arsenault 02-09-2014 09:48 AM

I know with all the after market performance parts we have got for ours if we ended up having ours totaled we would want to buy another one just the same so we could put all our good parts on.

Alex_Daniel 02-09-2014 10:39 AM

I was really starting to get into the car, too. The day of the accident I replaced the distributor cap, the rotor, all the spark plugs, and I was waiting on the wires to replace those as well. In the past since I have had it I have changed the oil/tranny fluid (of course), the driveshaft, the bearing and the housing, and the transmission mount. All of the problems it had when I first got it were just starting to really be phased out. I really am thinking of just keeping it, even off the road, and doing some repairs when I have the cash here and there. New hood, headlights, and a grill. I hit the tow hitch, which I think might has just missed the frame. With no leakage anywhere, I might not need a radiator, but I think the fan is busted, and there are definitely some hoses and tubes that have been kinked. With all the aluminum tubing in there now that I think of it, might be more costly than I imagined.

rspi 02-09-2014 01:00 PM

I really dislike people riding around with their tow draw and ball hanging out there. Then then do something like they did and you get the damage from it. I clipped on in a parking lot about a year ago. I knew I was going to miss the truck but didn't see that tow hitch sticking out about a foot, creased my bumper and cracked my corner lens. I should have took it with me.