Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Alright guys I will be off for a while today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Alright guys I will be off for a while today.

Well its time for the Great American Race.
I will be totally signed off when it is on.
I will most likely be back later tonight.

The house will be free of noise for a while!!!!

Even when they come home the surround sound will be on draining them all out.

Catch you later.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Alright guys I will be off for a while today.

Nice to see your Great American Race is obtaining the 'services' of some international drivers. Let's see now..............you have drivers from Bum **** Alabama, drivers from Japan, drivers from italy, and etc. Maybe now it will become more civilized and the crowd will leave the 10 pound belt buckles at home and the alcohol consumption will moderate somewhat.

You see TECH, I went to a 400 miler in Michigan and I couldn't believe what I saw. That was the first and last NASCAR for me.

r.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:52 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Tech,

Have fun, I'll take care of people's problems with my classic hammer& chisel fix-it-all strategy.

JPN

Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe some time in the near future, we could see an S60R scrapping with the rest of the pack.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 AM
reg

Well they have a Toyota in the mix.............Volvo could be just around the corner. Of course you would know it's over when India and China send their efforts over..............

r.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Maybe one day Volvo might fit in being as they are owned by an american company!! LOL

I went to a Bucsh race many years ago at Daytona the day before the 500.
Way to many people and it took 3 hours to make a 1 hour trip there. Had to park over 1 mile away and walk there. Took between 4 to 5 hours to drive home. Never again I will sit my A** on the couch and watch on the TV!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 AM
reg

TECH, I remember when "it" was called stock car racing. This was back in the 50's and 60's. The saying: "Race it on Sunday and buy it on Monday" had a meaning. I recall the 6 cylinder Hudson Hornets winning every race. Even 'though they had a 6, the chassis was much lower and they had better aerodynamics. The DeSotos and Plymouths were right up there. There was no safety equipment until the mid 60's. Plus, if the car had a steel body with a 6 and with rear wheel drive.............that is how it raced. Today all the cars have the identical engine, all with tubular frame, and all rear wheel drive. I never say a Ford Taurus with an 8 cylinder and rear wheel drive let alone a plastic body and tubular frame. Truly, who cares if Ford or Chevrolet wins...................both cars are the same.............where is one to say the Ford is better than the Chevy?

Oh well, it is the 21st century but the old racers were pretty neat because you could own an identical car and race it on the week-ends..................

r.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

When I was a kid my brother, who was 17 years older than me, drove a stock car. It was a pink 51 Chevy and the raced on a dirt track. I don't think he every won anything, but man was itexciting to go to those races.

Hard for me to believe Dodge came in 1st and 2nd.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM
reg

Yup. Them's was the days!! The races were fun and the "national" racers were household names. To-day it seems that the drivers take great pride in driving each other off the track and are certainly not "racers" in theory............not when they drive such as you would drive a bumper car at the carnival. It is interesting Jim to see how this 100% American form of racing has now changed to not only international drivers but 'foreign' cars. The reason of course is the money that NASCAR generates............the formula, indy, and other venue drivers all want to make the huge dollars that the bumper car drivers earn............

r.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I agree those days are gone.
It is all a money game!!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like with everything else, big business sure has taken over. Is it just me, or were the older races more fun to watch? Maybe it was because we could watch driversrace the same cars we could drive. I too remember race 'em Sunday and buy 'em on Monday.

During this weeks Daytona I wondered if any of the sports channels ever show any of the older races, from the 60's and early 70's. It occurred to me that it would fun if ESPN Classic or similar decided to air all 49 previous Daytona 500's (or whatever is available anyway) in their entirely, old commercials and all, maybe like one race a week.

I saw a clip a while back of a driver (Panch?) driving a 1960 Pontiac, going up on the high side to make a pass, and ended up going up and over the guard rail completely off the race course.I sure loved those big 1959 & 1960 B-body Pontiacs (my brother had three of them)and definitelywould enjoy watching a few of those old races!

If anyone knows of any old races being shown, I'd appreciate a shout in advance.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe on Speed channel or Versus. They show a lot of race stuff.