Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/)
-   -   Another non-Volvo repair question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/another-non-volvo-repair-question-13295/)

99VolvoV70 08-21-2007 12:16 PM

Another non-Volvo repair question

Since I use this forum for the best diagnostic insight for any vehicle, I thought I'd post another one here...

I recently picked up my brother's riding lawn mower. He has the mechanical know-how of a 3rd grader and the mower is broken. I haven't started anything on it yet, but I thought I'd get some opinions on where to start.

The mower is about 2 years old. All that's been done to it has been filling the gas tank until it broke a few months ago. At that point, I suggested he change the oil (he might have ignored me here - I don't believe he changed it), change the air filter and fuel filter. He says he's done those things. The problem has been that it will run for 5-10 minutes and then shut down and can't be re-started. Seems like something is getting stopped up when it's warmed up.

I haven't actually started it myself yet though, so I'll have some other details when I finally get to work on it myself.

JPN 08-21-2007 07:42 PM

RE: Another non-Volvo repair question

Hi 99VV70,

With my limited knowledge on lawn mowers, I'll try my best with general knowledge.

The first place I would start would be to read the owner's manual. Then, search to see if there is a service manual in the market. Also, provide us with the following info:

1. MFG (John Deer, Honda, etc...).
2. Model name/trim level.
3. Type of engine (2-stroke/4-stroke).
4. Air-cooled or liquid-cooled.
5. The number of cylinders.

Then, I would check the spark plugs, ignition components, fuel supply system (carburetor, I assume) and then change all filters & fluids with recommended products.

Will wait for your reply.

JPN

TheSteelKnight 08-22-2007 12:02 AM

is it a volvo lawn mower ;)

JPN 08-22-2007 10:56 AM

ORIGINAL: TheSteelKnight

is it a volvo lawn mower ;)
It could be!

JPN

TheSteelKnight 08-22-2007 10:59 AM

then the soultion is simple, somethings wrong with the electrical ;) lol.

JPN 08-22-2007 11:05 AM

Pull codes from the ECU, visit a local AutoZone and have it free-diagnosed:).

And of course, insist on OEM parts.

JPN

TheSteelKnight 08-22-2007 11:08 AM

nooooooo bad jpn bad, he could have done that himself, and probably has. he needs to ride it to the nearest dealership, they can put it on the rack and have it back in no time. while they are poking under there, they can inspect the other moving parts and make sure all is well. It could still be under warrenty.

99VolvoV70 08-22-2007 11:33 AM

Haha, you are a bunch of comedians... I was planning on grabbing the manual on my way out the door so I could have a detailed answer for you, but I forgot it, so I'll have to give you a better answer tomorrow (or maybe tonight).

I know it's a Troy-Bilt and I think it was a 19-HP, 42" (similar to this one: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...amp;lpage=none). It is a few years old though (probably 2-3 years). I'll verify everything later.

Thanks for your inputs - I'm looking forward to getting it running and "cutting" down on the 3-4 hours it takes me to push my current mower (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfni.0)around our yard.

99VolvoV70 08-22-2007 09:51 PM

OK, I'm home and I got the manual (and took a look at it sitting there dead in my garage while the grass is approaching knee height).

It's a Troy-Bilt 17.5HP, 42". In the spot that says "Copy the model number here:" my brother wrote "13AN689G766". Near that, just slightly above, he wrote 3T120. The front of the manual says it's for N689-Colt or J6890-Tuffy.

The engine appears to be a Briggs and Stratton, Model Series 210000, 280000 or 310000 (I'll have to look at that closer when I'm back in the garage). I'm just guessing here, but it appears to bea 4-stroke, air-cooled engine (and it only shows 1 spark plug in the drawings which would indicate a single cylinder, but that makes no sense....).

Hopefully this weekend or next I'll have a chance to try and get it running, but I might have to use the push mower one last time since we're looking at a busy weekend coming up.

Appreciate the tips!

JPN 08-22-2007 10:48 PM

OK, I'll do a bit of research after I'm done with the day's work.

JPN

JPN 08-23-2007 11:50 AM

OK, if the machine is less than 2-year old, have it repaired under warranty. If not, well[8D];

1. Fouled spark plug.
2. Fuel line vapour lock in hot climate.
3. Air induction system problem.
4. Exhaust system problem.
5. Fuel feed (carburetor) system problem.

I would...

1. Remove the spark plug to determine its condition.
2. Dump a small bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner (approx. 1/4 of the bottle) into the fuel tank.
3. If you can get accessto the carburetor's induction opening, spray carburetor cleaner with the engine running. The engine will stumble as you spray cleaner into the carburetor opening, sokeep the throttle at fullby pulling the throttle cable while you spray.
4.Inspect air filter.
5.Inspect fuel filter.
6. Inspect/trouble shoot carburetor.

Parts, Service manual, etc...

http://www.buymtdonline.com/webapp/w...10101_19502_-1

Owner's manual for the engine:

1. B&S 210000-280000-310000
http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BS...1-2278093A5EE7

Additional search, should you require:
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja...+280000&lr=

I hope this gets you started.

JPN

99VolvoV70 08-27-2007 10:52 AM

Hey JPN,

Sorry it took awhile to respond to this. I wanted to try and fix it before replying, but I just didn't have time this weekend (next weekend isn't looking good either).

Anyway, I did go out and buy a spark plug, some carb cleaner (going to need that for my motorcycle anyway) and the fuel system cleaner. Hopefully, with your advice I'll be able to get that up and running soon. I should have taken some pictures to post, but I've been traveling and haven't mowed the lawn in about 5 weeks. Even with the drought, there were patches that were waist high and large portions that were about thigh-high. It took my little 6.5HP push mower about 4 hours to get through it all (kept choking up and actually died twice).

I will follow-up when I get a chance to work on it.

JPN 08-27-2007 10:57 AM

OK, I'll wait for your reply and look forward to getting owe-struck:).

JPN

99VolvoV70 09-01-2007 03:10 PM

Well, I thought I'd give an update since I have to kill a few minutes and I just finished my first look at the mower.

Numbered the same asJPN's tips:
1) I checked the spark plug and it looks a bit dark, but overall pretty new. I bought a new plug in case the other fixes fail to work.
2) I dumped some fuel system cleaner.
4 & 5) Checked the air and fuel filters - seem to be properly installed and in new condition (my brother didn't lie, he really installed them)
3) Got the carb cleaner out and read the instructions. Advised to start engine and spray into carb intake. Pulled the mower outside (so as not to wake my sleeping son in the room above the garage), got everything set up to start, turn the key and nothing... It appears that the battery is completely dead. I don't have my own charger since my friend does, so I'll be heading over to his place to borrow the charger. Then I'll charge the battery for about an hour. Hopefully I'll have a chance to put the battery back in and try to start it up before the end of the day.

6) I really hope it doesn't come to this... the manual says don't touch the carburetor, but I have a manual for Holley carbs that was my dad's that should probably help out.

Anyway, I'll post another update after I get the battery charged.
Thanks again for the tips...

JPN 09-01-2007 08:17 PM

Yes I take back 6), leave the carb alone.The carbis probably OK, and one really needs to have a good understanding on how they operate, have an IPC (Illustrated Parts Catalog) and a service manual. There area numberof screws, nuts, caps, passages, springs, valves, etc... and everything has to be calibrated upon reassembly.

Charge the battery (be sure to follow the instructions or the friend's advice, as if done wrong, it can damage the battery, or worse, it will cause it to explode or catch on fire), pour good quality fuel and then try it again.

Good luck,

JPN

99VolvoV70 09-03-2007 10:38 PM

Well JPN, it seems your tips have saved the day... I got the battery charged (luckily there were two dead ones because one of them was unable to be charged - completely dead).

Anyway, after I hooked up the battery, I started it up and sprayed the carb cleaner per the instructions. The first 5-10 minutes it drove as my brother described, nearly dying every so often. It was also running very rough, back-firing when I brought the idle down low. It seemed to at least be running though without completely dying, so I put the mower deck back on (had a little trouble pulling the spring into place to keep tension on the belt). After that, I started it back up and started mowing. It started running really smooth [sm=smiley20.gif] after that. I think everything had worked it's way through the system.

So, I'm not sure if it was the fuel system cleaner (my guess) or the carb cleaner, but regardless just a few bucks and the mower is as good as new. I'm sure my brother is going to be happy to find out he gave away a $1000 mower that only needed about $5 of cleaners to get running again. (He really needed the space in his garage and has decided he'd rather pay $35 per week than mow himself.) Luckily, I'm a cheapskate and glad to take anything for free!

So, thanks JPN - if there was a praise system here, I'd give you 10 points. [sm=thanx.gif]

99VolvoV70 09-08-2007 11:38 PM

UPDATE: Last week I mowed down the crazy tall field that I had and it still took a little while....

Today, the grass wasn't as long so I got to put it in 8th gear and really fly around the yard. It only took about 30 minutes!!! Thanks a lot JPN, once again.

tech 09-09-2007 09:13 AM

Glad you got it fixed. All of this was when I wasn't here sorry I couldn't help.

JPN 09-09-2007 10:53 AM

Hi 99VV70,

I'm really glad that the mower is back in service. All too often, vehicle or any machine-related problems are due to neglect. I would keep using the mower regularly to get all fluids going. If the mower is of oil add-only type (those that don't need oil change and you just keep adding oil), be sure to keep an eye on the oil level and add with the recommended grade oil when necessary.

Have fun mowing!

JPN

P.S: Tech would have solved the problem with one reply, I believe:D.

99VolvoV70 09-09-2007 02:56 PM

Thanks guys - I was just glad it wasn't anything more complicated.

I used to be the low guy in the neighborhood - the only one with a pushmower, but now I've got one of the fastest ones on the block. Makes me want to start lawn mower races! [8D]