Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/)
-   -   had a stroke last night (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/had-stroke-last-night-66073/)

ibified 10-04-2012 08:04 PM

had a stroke last night

Was in the bathtub last night and all of a sudden I couldn't talk to my wife and couldn't move the right side of my body... MRI tomorrow to see the extent of damage. Sure wish i had health insurance...

Izoomx2 10-04-2012 08:53 PM

sorry about that , hope all is going to be ok.

rspi 10-05-2012 07:58 AM

Ouch! I two am sorry to hear that. I experienced a similar situation while in the shower a little over a year ago. I was trying to call out for help but couldn't. I never went to the hospital afterwards. Just been trying to control my stress and keep my blood pressure down with diet and exercise. I don't seem to have any damage from it.

Hope things check out well for you. More importantly, they figure out what caused it and how you can avoid future problems.

breatlevo 10-07-2012 06:03 AM

Oh lord i hope everything comes out ok...

ibified 10-14-2012 02:19 AM

MRI and blood tests both came back nominal - blood pressure low/normal, good cholesterol a little low, bad cholesterol a little high....nothing he felt the need to put me on medicine for though.

That being said, he said i have GOT to change my diet, quit smoking, and getting exercise. Not sure which of those three are going to be harder...but I have a wife I need to be here for, so it's going to have to happen. I got on wellbutrin, which im hoping wil help with the smoking thing...we'll see about the diet.

breatlevo 10-14-2012 03:29 AM

I quit cold turkey 5 yrs ago it took me 3 months with a patch to get it, outta my mind/body/spirit....never looked back.No relapses, no regrets...:)At 10.00 a pack..i couldnt afford it now if i wanted too...As far as losing wt...:rolleyes:its lika rollarcoaster, for me...:eek:

Izoomx2 10-14-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ibified (Post 331836)
MRI and blood tests both came back nominal - blood pressure low/normal, good cholesterol a little low, bad cholesterol a little high....nothing he felt the need to put me on medicine for though.

That being said, he said i have GOT to change my diet, quit smoking, and getting exercise. Not sure which of those three are going to be harder...but I have a wife I need to be here for, so it's going to have to happen. I got on wellbutrin, which im hoping wil help with the smoking thing...we'll see about the diet.

Check the side effects of welbutrin , some things ARE worse than smoking ! I used it to help stop smoking for a while. After a month in it worked , but smoking wasn't the only thing I stopped:eek:doing ! Got off the welbutrin , and in couple days my "desires" returned , all of them ,been smoking and screwing ever since.

Izoomx2 10-14-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by breatlevo (Post 331839)
I quit cold turkey 5 yrs ago it took me 3 months with a patch to get it, outta my mind/body/spirit....never looked back.No relapses, no regrets...:)At 10.00 a pack..i couldnt afford it now if i wanted too...As far as losing wt...:rolleyes:its lika rollarcoaster, for me...:eek:

$10.00 a pack for cigs? OUCH! (under $4.00 here in OK for cheap horse sh*t cigs) Hey , don't judge me I smoke cheap cigs so I can afford premium fuel for my cars ! LOL (premium is around $3.75 now for "real" gas)

ibified 10-14-2012 08:50 PM

Lz: I've found the side effects to be pretty good for my wife... ;)

breatlevo 10-15-2012 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Izoomx2 (Post 331847)
$10.00 a pack for cigs? OUCH! (under $4.00 here in OK for cheap horse sh*t cigs) Hey , don't judge me I smoke cheap cigs so I can afford premium fuel for my cars ! LOL (premium is around $3.75 now for "real" gas)

WOW im moving out yer way....lol:)

rspi 10-15-2012 07:03 AM

Wow, I don't smoke but do purchase them for my wife. Her label is $5.65 a pack here. She smokes about a pack a week. I keep telling myself "that's not bad" but I guess any smoking is bad.

I also need to be here for my wife. I'm also betting my daughter would like for me to be around a few more years as well. Not sure why the doctors just don't mail everyone a card and hit everyone at one time. Eat better (they never have a plan for you just that shot gun statement), exercise (they always want more than you are currently doing), and for God's sake - STOP SMOKING.

We eat fast food about once per 2 weeks, and do not fry foods other than eggs (mostly whites). Walk about 3-1/2 miles per day 5-7 days per week and I already mentioned the smoking thing.

swiftjustice44 10-15-2012 01:35 PM

Robert, if your wife only smokes a pack a week, she gets less carcinogens there in AR than if she did not smoke and lived here in the Dallas metroplex. I too am down to a pack a week or less (I throw them away as stale before I finish a pack). I don't believe there have been any studies for smokers that smoke so little. Probably close to the same as second hand smoke or a bit worse. But, sure, any smoking is worse than none.

rspi 10-15-2012 07:42 PM

That's what I kinda figured. That's why I really haven't been sweating it. She gets those short red Marboro cigs and doesn't even smoke the entire cig when she does. Tosses about 1/4th of it out. Thanks for the input.

Vmax 10-24-2012 08:24 PM

Best wishes, easy for me to say diet and exercise and quit smoking but..

diet, exercise, and quit smoking.

breatlevo 10-25-2012 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 332045)
That's what I kinda figured. That's why I really haven't been sweating it. She gets those short red Marboro cigs and doesn't even smoke the entire cig when she does. Tosses about 1/4th of it out. Thanks for the input.

I could never control my smoking...ide smoke till the filter was burning.....my dad/oldest brother, god rest thier souls smoked what we called LUNG RIPPERS pall mall/lucky strike filterless...:eek:the kind bogie smoked in his movies...

tech 10-28-2012 07:17 AM

Sorry to hear about the stroke!
I can kind of say I know how you feel. The smoking is the killer to really give up. It did somewhat come easy for me though. I had my heart attack and was in the hospital for 4 days then went home. But I think the fact that what they said how it was all the smoking that caused it stopped me when I got out. I have wanted to grab one and have one many times but I just won't do it.

Also yes the diet thing is a killer as well. Basically my entire life changed from the heart attack in many ways.
I hope all is good for you from now on!