Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

How Fast Have You Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How Fast Have You Gone?

ORIGINAL: fire2havoc

ORIGINAL: gordon368

ive taken my volvo s80 t6 up to 142 mph......solid and smooooth
That's impressive considering it's electronically limited at 150. Or did you remove the governator? I've only taken my T6 up to 105 and it feels smooth. Have you ever redlined it?

Why would he need to remove the limiter? Youll hit 142 before 150

Old 11-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

i was also curious...

Old 11-21-2005, 04:28 PM

i would have to agree 142 is slower than 150. my basic math skills not so good these days, i will have to get my calculator.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 PM

It was intended as a completely separate question. Obviously, 142 is 8mph lower than 150.

Old 11-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Still dont see two questions there, but 142mph is pretty fast. That is like 228. damn that is 8 faster than me.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Well, you make some good points REG. But don't assume that all of us just want to go fast in a straight line. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to go fast in a straight line - Self described "Acceleration junkie".
But I also enjoy roads that aren't stright. For example US 129 at deals gap. It crosses the Tn - NC border. 318 curves in 11 miles. Pictures at tailofthedragon.com.
I am including a picture (of me) that was taken one day, when a friend and I were out riding some roads near Center Hill lake in Tennessee. If the picture is clear enough, you'll see that the tires are worn well off the center.
Disclaimer:
This location was secluded. No traffic, and no residential areas within miles. No I do not do this sort of thing when other traffic is present, or near any residential areas.
The gallery picture is the better one.
https://volvoforums.com/photo.asp?ph...Type=6&apage=1

[IMG]local://upfiles/2487/B7C57BA339514C66853E21E5825E7EE9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-14-2006, 07:10 AM

> 167.32 MPH at a Rally in Canada with my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII.

> 145.2 MPH in my '84 240 DL Wagon!! now thats with a custom long block mopar engine running 230hp. It lasted till the tranny blew 2 days later, so back in went the orignal engine w/new tranny.

NOTE: I have gone thru 2 driving schools other than what is required by law, I have training in Rally Races and Persuit Driving. I cannot stress enough that if you deside to push limits and find out what your car can do, think about what YOU can do. I have had too many friends killed by screwing off thinking they know what they are doing, so be careful what ever you do and choose wisely where you deside to drive 'above' the law.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

135mph in my 1995 850 n/a. It was awsome!!!

Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 PM

I got my Torino up to at least 120 a few times. Four thousand pounds of car is pretty smooth at 90, anything more is frightening. The Chevelle, no idea. I pegged the spedo a few times, just like the Torino and backed off even though there was more than enough gas to give. Too much shake and rattle on those old cars. Those big V8s really handled it well. The Grand National topped at 124 many a time. Stupid thing had a chip to keep it at 124. I guess that was the safe limit so the front end wouldn't lift. I beat that car like a red headed step child. I haven'thad the Volvo past 95. Just keeping up with traffic on those occasions. I am a chronic speeder, I just lost my will to hit triple digits anymore. Really not the smartest thing to do. It was fun though.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:34 AM

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...ad607.shtmlFor those of us who need a reality check once in a while.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:23 AM

i rarely speed on public roads but on the track i've hit 150 in my wrx.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:24 AM

ORIGINAL: satchmodog

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newpho...ad607.shtmlFor those of us who need a reality check once in a while.

I think this is what u wanted;
http://www.wreckedexotics.com

It'll make u think

Old 01-31-2006, 12:25 PM

I beleive speed is relative. The fastest I ever went is when I was testing a 88 Kawasaki Tecate for a friend. I was at a bike shop in Mo that was right by an overpass next to a highway. He was complaining it didn't have much power, but I knew 1) he didn't know how to ride 2) he was running both oil and gas rich and 3) he didn't know how to turn the throttle all the way open. After I fixed the rich situation, new gas mix, smaller main and down on the neddle jet, I ran it around the parking lot to warn it up. Then I proceeded to show my friend, most of the bike shop crew and some customers how fast this machine was. On one of my passes, going towards the highway of course, the throttle cable, which has a section that slips together and is supposed to be held in place by a rubber sleeve, seperated. Evidently the genius that owned the machine before had ditched the rubber sleeve and used duct tape over this area. This had the effect of holding the throttle wide open quite a bit longer than I had expected, in fifth gear. When you are on the pipe on some of these machines, its an effert to just hold on, much less made timely, intelligent decisions, such as jump the hell off. While I didn't launch myself and the bike over the highway, I did run through the parking lot, the overpass access road and down a 30 foot embankment where I wound up in the ditch right next to the highway. Of course I had on jeans and tennis shoes with no helmet because I'm just going to test it real quick. The end result for the four-wheeler- a broken ball joint, bent handle bars, bent front rim, broken front fender, for the rider- two cracked ribs, a broken wrist, a strained sphinctar(from being clinched so tight), numerous bumps and bruises, not to memtion my pride, but at the time I was just happy to be breathing. It does't sound too bad on paper, but if you stood on the side of that overpass, it looked like where Evil Keneval tried to jump the Snake River Canyon. So I'm to say about 65 MPH. Thats my story and I sticking to it.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:21 AM

i done 115 mph in s40 2.0 t but a mate of mine did did 120mph in a 1ltr 83 polo. standard edition

Old 02-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: S60 R

ORIGINAL: satchmodog

I think this is what u wanted;
http://www.wreckedexotics.com

It'll make u think
that page has some amazing wrecks...

Old 02-03-2006, 07:57 PM

Being new to this site and from a different country I thought long and hard about replying to this post.
How fast have I gone? Clocked 158mph on a calibrated speedometer in a Police pursuit vehicle chasing a 'Boy Racer' in the Porsche his parents bought him for passing his driving test. This was two days after he passed. He thought he was the best driver in the world. His driving experience - minimal. Mine at the time was 30 years, including 22 years as a highly trained Police driver and I was scared, not for me but for him and other road users.
I later went on to head my Force Driving School. Whilst there I repeated the advice given to me when I first qualified as a Police driver - Any fool can drive fast but it takes a highly trained driver to drive fast safely.
To all of you out there who think that it is great to floor the pedal and take risks I would point out that there is only one thing more distressing for Police Officers than separating the remains of a 'Boy Racer@ from his mangled vehicle and that is telling his loved ones that they can visit him in the morgue.
Speed does not necessarily kill. Inappropriate use of speed often does.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:14 AM

Well I've had the V40 up to about 130mph and we have V70 T5's that do well over 150mph (calibrated not indicated).

Fastest I've been in a car though was 170mph in a GT40, which I would easly have topped in an Ultima but backed off at 165mph as the track was wet. I wouldn't consider doing those speeds on the public hghway.... it's a sure route to prison here.

I leave to fast stuff for when I'm on my bikes as acceleration and braking is far better than any affordable car.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:42 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Precisely my point Bill! I was making that point in an earlier post. A driver's school is the only place to attempt high speeds. At those times a safety team will assess your tyres for not only the amount of rubber but if they are speed rated to the capability of your auto. Helmets and other safety equipment are mandatory and you are not allowed to travel "***** to the walls" untill you have accomplished several schools. Both BMW and Porche clubs hold these schools and every parent with a child should enroll their 'student driver' in these schools once they have received their license.
Reg

ORIGINAL: billofdurham

Being new to this site and from a different country I thought long and hard about replying to this post.
How fast have I gone? Clocked 158mph on a calibrated speedometer in a Police pursuit vehicle chasing a 'Boy Racer' in the Porsche his parents bought him for passing his driving test. This was two days after he passed. He thought he was the best driver in the world. His driving experience - minimal. Mine at the time was 30 years, including 22 years as a highly trained Police driver and I was scared, not for me but for him and other road users.
I later went on to head my Force Driving School. Whilst there I repeated the advice given to me when I first qualified as a Police driver - Any fool can drive fast but it takes a highly trained driver to drive fast safely.
To all of you out there who think that it is great to floor the pedal and take risks I would point out that there is only one thing more distressing for Police Officers than separating the remains of a 'Boy Racer@ from his mangled vehicle and that is telling his loved ones that they can visit him in the morgue.
Speed does not necessarily kill. Inappropriate use of speed often does.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly 110 at the most in my current car.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 PM

in my past i was a hotfoot, without a doubt. today when i think back at what i've done, i think it's a wonder that i'm still here to talk about it.

fastest i've gone in my porsche 944 is 140mph and the fastest on my bike is 160+
now the scary part is that i've got a turbo kit ready for my bike. ready to bolt on. but do i dare?

my bike

billofdurham: are you with the county durham police by the way?

Quick Reply: How Fast Have You Gone?