Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/)
-   -   Official Volvo Automotive Tip of The Day (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/official-volvo-automotive-tip-day-79857/)

Robert Carter 08-27-2014 09:20 AM

Official Volvo Automotive Tip of The Day

Your Volvo Branded Air Conditioning System will always blow cold in the winter time.

This has been your Official Volvo Automotive Tip of The Day. :D

Joshinator99 09-05-2014 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Carter (Post 395049)
Your Volvo Branded Air Conditioning System will always blow cold in the winter time.

This has been your Official Volvo Automotive Tip of The Day. :D

LOL, nice...

Here is another one: be sure to check your tire pressure after taking delivery of your Volvo. They are shipped overseas with about 45 PSI, and the dealerships have been neglecting to reset them to 35 PSI or so... You pay nearly $50K for a vehicle and the pre-delivery gets rushed or skipped... Love the XC60 but that is really crazy.

waadman 09-06-2014 04:28 AM

ONe More:)

Many are cold but few are frozen:):):)

ES6T 09-06-2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 395587)
LOL, nice...

Here is another one: be sure to check your tire pressure after taking delivery of your Volvo. They are shipped overseas with about 45 PSI, and the dealerships have been neglecting to reset them to 35 PSI or so... You pay nearly $50K for a vehicle and the pre-delivery gets rushed or skipped... Love the XC60 but that is really crazy.

The pre-delivery does not get skipped. If it was skipped, you would know it.

While setting the tire pressure to the correct amount is part of the pre-delivery inspection the tech does, most dealerships have the techs leave the higher pressure in the tires because they do not know how long the car will sit. The sales person should adjust the pressure prior to sale.

Joshinator99 09-06-2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 395608)
The pre-delivery does not get skipped. If it was skipped, you would know it.

While setting the tire pressure to the correct amount is part of the pre-delivery inspection the tech does, most dealerships have the techs leave the higher pressure in the tires because they do not know how long the car will sit. The sales person should adjust the pressure prior to sale.

Not true, since my dealership actually went to another dealer to pick ours up specifically for my deal. It was specifically given to the their service department for pre-delivery immediately before we took were scheduled to take delivery. They obviously knew it wasn't sitting, as they drove an hour and a half one way to get it for us AFTER we made the deal and signed the paperwork. Leaving any vehicle adjustments to a sales person is a horrible idea. Ask any Ford Explorer owner if tire pressure is important...

Love the XC totally, but that really made me suspicious. What else was skipped?

damien360 09-06-2014 06:28 PM

Joshinator99 no offense but you obviously don't know what you are talking about. If they did a dealer trade, then the service department you got the car from did not do the PDI the one they got it from did. The vehicle has a restricted vehicle speed before the PDI is done and the rotor covers need to be removed if they would drive it an hour and a half to another dealer. Do you really think a tech is really going to do pretty much half of the PDI and not get paid for it? No. Est6 and I are dealership techs so we know what goes on because we are the ones doing the PDIs on these cars. Like he said, we don't know how long the vehicle sits unsold on the lot so most of us just leave the pressure alone since we don't want the car coming back with a low tire pressure light and a pissed off customer.

In order to be suspicious you would actually have to know what happens with a PDI. Other than the tire pressure we top off the washer fluid(you would've have a message come back on by now if it wasn't done), take the car out of transport mode (once again restricted vehicle speed), and software download (you would've had electrical problems by now). Those are pretty much the main things in a PDI so like it was stated before if it wasn't done you would've known by now.

Joshinator99 09-06-2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by damien360 (Post 395619)
Joshinator99 no offense but you obviously don't know what you are talking about. If they did a dealer trade, then the service department you got the car from did not do the PDI the one they got it from did. The vehicle has a restricted vehicle speed before the PDI is done and the rotor covers need to be removed if they would drive it an hour and a half to another dealer. Do you really think a tech is really going to do pretty much half of the PDI and not get paid for it? No. Est6 and I are dealership techs so we know what goes on because we are the ones doing the PDIs on these cars. Like he said, we don't know how long the vehicle sits unsold on the lot so most of us just leave the pressure alone since we don't want the car coming back with a low tire pressure light and a pissed off customer.

In order to be suspicious you would actually have to know what happens with a PDI. Other than the tire pressure we top off the washer fluid(you would've have a message come back on by now if it wasn't done), take the car out of transport mode (once again restricted vehicle speed), and software download (you would've had electrical problems by now). Those are pretty much the main things in a PDI so like it was stated before if it wasn't done you would've known by now.

So the time it spent with the dealership techs before I picked it up was for...??? Since you guys are "techs" you're obviously biased toward protecting your own, but let me state what you are missing: IT IS 100% UNACCEPTABLE TO SEND A VEHICLE OUT WITH INCORRECT TIRE PRESSURES. 20% off is a significant amount and leads to abnormal tire wear, but since you're a "tech" I'm sure you already knew that. I'm sure if Volvo itself knew that you let vehicles go out with that, they would be pissed. Its easy to say "its someone else's problem", and pass it off because you MIGHT be inconvenienced somewhere down the road... Again, I didn't think the Ford Explorer disaster was that long ago, but it seems that most people have already forgotten that tire pressure is actually kind of important.

Regardless of the excuses being passed around, my "tip" of the day is true: check your tire pressures because they are likely not set correctly by the dealership. And its not just me saying it based on the other message boards out there.

damien360 09-07-2014 12:20 AM

Were you there when the techs were "working" on it? Like I said it sounds like the other dealer has to have done the PDI not the one you got the car from. I see dealer trades happen all of the time and when they get to our dealership they don't go to the techs, they go to the detail department. This isn't about "protecting our own" I can tell the names of dealerships that you might want to stay away from because the techs there don't know what they are doing. I've had cars come in with 70+ psi in the tires and I've never seen over inflation wear. Put your tires at 45 psi and drive around and I can tell you this, your rear tires will cup before you notice abnormal wear from the over inflation. So that's not wear you should worried about. You keep bringing up the Ford explorers and that's ok but you're driving a Volvo. So to try to eliminate the thought of rolling over I'll use a bigger car, the XC90. I have purposely tried to roll a XC90 and it is dam near impossible. And yes I understand you're driving a SUV so the thought of rolling over is always going to be in your head but it is harder to roll a Volvo than a ford.

Joshinator99 09-07-2014 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by damien360 (Post 395628)
Were you there when the techs were "working" on it? Like I said it sounds like the other dealer has to have done the PDI not the one you got the car from. I see dealer trades happen all of the time and when they get to our dealership they don't go to the techs, they go to the detail department. This isn't about "protecting our own" I can tell the names of dealerships that you might want to stay away from because the techs there don't know what they are doing. I've had cars come in with 70+ psi in the tires and I've never seen over inflation wear. Put your tires at 45 psi and drive around and I can tell you this, your rear tires will cup before you notice abnormal wear from the over inflation. So that's not wear you should worried about. You keep bringing up the Ford explorers and that's ok but you're driving a Volvo. So to try to eliminate the thought of rolling over I'll use a bigger car, the XC90. I have purposely tried to roll a XC90 and it is dam near impossible. And yes I understand you're driving a SUV so the thought of rolling over is always going to be in your head but it is harder to roll a Volvo than a ford.

I understand what you're saying, and you could very well be right that my dealerships techs did not see the car regardless of what I was told. Hopefully you understand my point that as the guy who just bought the car, its very reasonable to expect things like this to have been checked, thats all. While a Volvo maybe harder to roll than a Ford (agreed!), if a tire was improperly inflated and blew out like those did (more likely with underinflation), it wouldn't matter what brand you drove as it would definitely flip regardless... Tire pressure became a huge safety blow up back then and for one of the safest brands in the world to be delivered with unchecked tire pressure so frequently (if what I've read is true) is surprising.

nibroc 09-07-2014 09:58 AM

ck your own tire pressure and all oil levels!!!

Robert Carter 09-08-2014 07:40 PM

Official Volvo Automotive Tip of the Day.

If you look about 10 inches under the dash on the drivers side of the VolvoŽ,
you will see that VolvoŽ has provided a pedal to slow down and even stop your VolvoŽ. :D

Stewarta 09-09-2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 395587)
LOL, nice...

Tyre Pressures, for this vehicle, are as follows:
Tyre Size Front Tyres 225/50R17 V 94 2.7 BAR / 40 PSI

Stewarta 09-09-2014 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Carter (Post 395734)
Official Volvo Automotive Tip of the Day.

If you look about 10 inches under the dash on the drivers side of the VolvoŽ,
you will see that VolvoŽ has provided a pedal to slow down and even stop your VolvoŽ. :D

What would you want that for? I want mine to go ;):);):D:o

ES6T 09-09-2014 10:44 PM

Even at 44psi, you'll be just fine. Maybe a rougher ride, but that's it.

And yes, I stand up for my own when someone who doesn't know anything about the process goes around saying the PDI gets skipped as if we are all a bunch of lazy idiots.

Joshinator99 09-10-2014 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stewarta (Post 395820)
Tyre Pressures, for this vehicle, are as follows:
Tyre Size Front Tyres 225/50R17 V 94 2.7 BAR / 40 PSI

235/60R18, cold tire pressure is 35 psi per factory specs (at least for my T6).

Joshinator99 09-10-2014 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 395823)
Even at 44psi, you'll be just fine. Maybe a rougher ride, but that's it.

And yes, I stand up for my own when someone who doesn't know anything about the process goes around saying the PDI gets skipped as if we are all a bunch of lazy idiots.

So you're ok with cars being delivered with the wrong pressure? 44 psi is not fine, as overinflation as little as 6 psi will leave a tire much more susceptible to damage from poor road conditions like potholes since the tire will be much more unyielding. That is at 6 psi over, never mind 9 psi over. It also reduces the size of the contact patch hitting the road, accelerating wear in the center of the tread.

It also sounds like you are saying that setting the tire pressure is NOT part of the PDI... Whether it is part of the PDI or not, it should be correct before delivery of a brand new car. Period.

Don't recall ONE post in this thread accusing anyone of being a "lazy idiot"...

ES6T 09-11-2014 05:21 AM

It would take more than 44 psi to see center tire wear.

And some Volvos had a recommended pressure of 41 psi.

I've seen cars come in with 75 or 80 psi. That's when it's dangerous.

Joshinator99 09-11-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 395932)
I've seen cars come in with 75 or 80 psi. That's when it's dangerous.

Ok, I'm in agreement on that one! That's crazy! :eek:

Stewarta 09-14-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 395920)
235/60R18, cold tire pressure is 35 psi per factory specs (at least for my T6).

That is for a larger tyre with a bigger profile it will be softer, mine is what I got from the tyre manufacturer for 225 50r17. the smaller the profile the higher the required pressure. My Audi likes 36 psi but it is 215 70r15s. 44psi is a bit hard but i don't think it would do any harm with my tyres but with your size it could be different;)

Have fun:eek:

Robert Carter 09-15-2014 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Stewarta (Post 395821)
What would you want that for? I want mine to go ;):);):D:o

That's the spirit my friend :D