Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/)
-   -   What was your first car? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/off-topic-7/what-your-first-car-38729/)

arnoldclab 02-03-2010 01:55 AM

What was your first car?

The first car I ever owned was a green 1970 Chevy Nova. I was 18 and I bought it for $3,000 and owned it for about 15 years. The car I traded it for was carp.

rspi 02-03-2010 02:43 AM

Mine was a brand new 1983 Honda Accord. Looked like this when I got it.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/pictur...pictureid=2011

I was in the Air Force and was stationed at Pope AFB, Fayetteville, NC. I tried to purchase a 2 year old Toyota Cressida and the deal just did not work out. The brakes were squeeling and they said it was fine. Took them about a week to work out the financing and by then I was already turned off by how long they were taking so I took the Cressida back. I went to the Honda dealer and they had a 3 day wait for cars but was able to get me one the next day. I kept the car until I went overseas, let my sister take over payment (that did not go well).

Come to think of it, I don't think that I have ever owned a primary daily driver that wasn't a 4 door other than a Volvo 262C Bertone that I had for a few years. Drove it along with my 740 GLE.

supernicguy 02-03-2010 03:26 AM

my first car was a 1987 Honda CRX Si. I had the thing for maybe 4 days then i got arrested doing 117 in a 55. I got off lucky with a reckless driving charge and a $500 ticket. no loss of license or probation. needless to say though my dad sold the car a week later for $650 the cost of the ticket and getting it out of impound. i was 17 at the time. come to think of it, that charge drops off my record in about a month or so, lol

JimKW 02-03-2010 08:19 AM

First car I ever drove legally was my Mom's 56 Chevy 4DR hardtop. Traded that on a 61 Plymouth Fury when the engine and body went on the Chevy. First car I ever bought for myslef was a 69 Chevelle Malibu with a 350, 2 barrell carb and single exhaust. For some reason that car would run right with the same car in a SS 396 and nobody could figure out why. I blew the doors off one of those 340 Plymouth Gold Duster's one day and the guy more or less called me a liar when I told him what I had in it. Pulled over into a parking lot and showed it to him. A week after I traded it in on a brand new 73 Cutlass I was mad at myself for getting rid of it. I'm still mad at myself.

GeoffoV50 02-03-2010 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The first car I ever bought , was a 1974 Volkswagen Polo. It was 10 years old when I got It.

Had the Polo for about a year before moving on to a VW Golf..My Polo was similar to the pic below, differences being color..Mine was dark green..

Attachment 2137

Put thumbnail over pic for larger version..

Greasy 02-03-2010 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first car was an 04 Accord EX. It was more like a family car... but it was basically mine to drive.

A few months after getting my license ('05) I bought my 02 Camaro. Used it as a DD when I was in high school. After I went to college I was driving it ~3,000 miles a year, bringing the Accord out from October-April.

Attachment 21866

robyne00 02-03-2010 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first car was a 1965 Rambler Classic ... which I still have!!!

My Dad got it free, as one of his customers could not pay their bill. Years later I found out it was driven through the brick wall of a post office approximately 250 miles northwest of where I currently live. It was in the newspapers and all. And yes, it was driven by the same customer (old lady) who could not pay my father in cash at the time.

It was old when I got it. Now it's really old. I love it!

matt01 02-03-2010 06:55 PM

1984 cougar, its in my signature, and i still have it.
the volvo is my second car.

MN2.5T 02-03-2010 08:26 PM

1948 Plymouth 2dr coupe - bought in 1954. Don't remember the exact cost any more, but I do recall the payment was $19 per month. I paid for it by working weekends packing and carrying out groceries, and during the week I worked in dad's TV shop.

rspi 02-04-2010 12:01 PM

Why So Fast???

Originally Posted by supernicguy (Post 203969)
my first car was a 1987 Honda CRX Si. I had the thing for maybe 4 days then i got arrested doing 117 in a 55. I got off lucky with a reckless driving charge and a $500 ticket. no loss of license or probation. needless to say though my dad sold the car a week later for $650 the cost of the ticket and getting it out of impound. i was 17 at the time. come to think of it, that charge drops off my record in about a month or so, lol

Man, you have paid for that ticket several times over with higher insurance premiums. A lot of people don't know it but Garmin GPS units keep track of a lot of things like TOP SPEED, average speed, etc. About 2 months after my daughter got her S70 GLT I checked the thing and it said that the top speed was 118 mph. :eek: WTF! Why would she need to be driving that fast. I think I have driven that fast only once, to see what my wife's Honda Prelude would do on a long straight country road. And definately on my own insurance policy.

Greasy 02-04-2010 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 204152)
Man, you have paid for that ticket several times over with higher insurance premiums. A lot of people don't know it but Garmin GPS units keep track of a lot of things like TOP SPEED, average speed, etc. About 2 months after my daughter got her S70 GLT I checked the thing and it said that the top speed was 118 mph. :eek: WTF! Why would she need to be driving that fast. I think I have driven that fast only once, to see what my wife's Honda Prelude would do on a long straight country road. And definately on my own insurance policy.

I have to admit that I may have driven faster than that in the Accord shortly after getting my license... I remember possibly going 125+ with 4 people in my car on a back road. I'm kicking myself for being that reckless.

When you are young you just do dumb stuff. Driving was so new and intriguing to me that I always had to push it to the limit. Now I rarely even speed, and I'm only 22. It is just no longer that exciting for me to go that fast off of the track.

awise1961 02-04-2010 08:55 PM

1972 Ford Pinto hatchback.
I bought it for $ 300.00 in 1977 when I first got my drivers liscence.
The only cool thing about it was that the back seats folded down flat similar to that of our Volvo wagons of today.
That came in very handy for taking dates to drive in movies.:D

Al. Wise

blackbrick 02-04-2010 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first car was 1974 Renault 4 and looked like this one.

supernicguy 02-05-2010 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 204152)

yeah I defiantly have, learned my lesson on that one. i rarely speed at all anymore, I'm paying ~$100 a month for the most basic insurance i can get, next month when i renew my policy my insurance guy said he wouldn't be surprised if it dropped $30 bucks a month seeing as other than that my record is clean.:D

Somthngfrce 02-09-2010 01:55 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/28hn0pd.jpg

shadowfist 02-24-2010 01:06 PM

First car i drove at all was my sisters honda civic (1987 i think) when i got my learners permit.

First car I drove as mine was a old tiny pickup (i don't even remember what it was now, i think it was a datsun or something like that)

but the first car i spent a considerable amount of time driving was the family station wagon, 1982 volvo, which was great fun.

first car that was titled as mine was the 1988 accord that I just abandoned, my parents gave it to me as a graduation present (i had already been driving it for several years at that point)

first car I bought was my wifes honda CR-V 1999 i believe. and finally

First car i bought for ME was my 1998 volvo s70 T5 that i bought a little over a week ago.

so it depends on the exact wording of the question i guess.

oh and just for the record i have never bought a car "NEW" so that one is still waiting for a "first" (if i ever do)

rrochell8 03-07-2010 02:34 PM

My first car was a 1966 Mustang. My father was the parts manager at the local Ford Dealership and I had been bugging him for a Mustang since I was 12. He bought me this car when I was 14. It was an $800 farm car. It had knobby tires on the back and had quite a few dents in it. The car had been bought at the same dealership my father worked at in 1967 and the same had owned it since that time. The interior was almost perfect except for the drivers seat. Once I cleaned the inch of dirt off the back seat it looked brand new. Time capsule. Didn't look as thought anyone had ever even sat on it. My dad taught me how to shape metal and used bondo. I did all the work myself and learned quite a bit. Got to know my Dad better too. Since I couldn't drive until 15, I had a year to get the car ready. Once we were done, the car looked as though it had just been driven off the showroom. Bone stock and beautiful she was....still miss her.

During this same time, my Dad was also repairing the first Volvo. A 1976 264GL. I drove that car on dates and such...liked it almost as much as the Mustang.

The Volvo gave up it's life for mine when I was in college. I've driven nothing but Volvos every since...

flatbrick 03-17-2010 01:51 PM

My first love; a '79 Mustang. Picked it up for $300 right before the summer of my junior year of high school, and then proceeded to have one of the best summers a young lad could hope for. When driving my sister to soccer practice about 7 months later, some bonehead cut out in front of me, causing me to t-bone him. Not my fault, but the car was still totaled. His insurance co. gave me $1800 for it because it was too old to find a bluebook value for. I'd say that was a pretty decent return on investment. Looked just like the one in the middle, in burnt orange and with hubcaps instead of rims:
R.I.P. Tangerine- I'll always miss you

http://www.stangnet.nl/images/timeli...ustangAD3C.jpg

shadowfist 03-18-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by flatbrick (Post 210360)
My first love; a '79 Mustang. Picked it up for $300 right before the summer of my junior year of high school, and then proceeded to have one of the best summers a young lad could hope for. When driving my sister to soccer practice about 7 months later, some bonehead cut out in front of me, causing me to t-bone him. Not my fault, but the car was still totaled. His insurance co. gave me $1800 for it because it was too old to find a bluebook value for. I'd say that was a pretty decent return on investment. Looked just like the one in the middle, in burnt orange and with hubcaps instead of rims:
R.I.P. Tangerine- I'll always miss you

so, what did you get with the $1800?

flatbrick 03-18-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by shadowfist (Post 210470)
so, what did you get with the $1800?

a '93 Honda Accord......