Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Penta (https://volvoforums.com/forum/penta-37/)
-   -   volvo penta ips 500 problems (https://volvoforums.com/forum/penta-37/volvo-penta-ips-500-problems-95909/)

suki01 03-23-2018 07:55 PM

volvo penta ips 500 problems

Hi all, newbie here.

Just bought my first boat with twin Volvo IPS 500, 250 hours on them, hull 2005.

Itīs been an absolute disaster, on the first journey, 30 mins after leaving the marina, the starboard IPS failed, heard a grinding noise come from the starboard engine so cut it and came in. There was no pressure holding in the gearbox, the engineer came out and took the IPS away to his workshop, a tooth had come off the gear set, run through the gears and cracked the case - full rebuild cost me 35,000.

On the second attempt to get her home, all was going well for two hours until the port engine needed to be shut down, apparently the top box has failed and the whole thing needs a rebuild again, sorry canīt be more specific!
I wish I had never ever bought Volvo, as a newcomer to the boating world this has become a complete disaster.

Bought from a broker, full surveys and engine serviced and checked, they say no warranty, not their problem. Just stuck with massive bills, is it worth it?
Has anyone experienced the same, Iīm gutted :(

Chazz1315 05-05-2019 11:26 AM

Volvo Penta Nightmare

I read read your post and we have a lot in common. I just purchased. 2009 Cruisers yachts 520 Sports Coupe. Triple D6 370 KA marine engines with 750 hours on each engine. I had a full marine survey done on the engine as well as the entire boat. I had all oil samples for the engines as well as the drives independently checked by a lab of which all came back favorably. The boat was a $475,000 purchase. About two hours into the trip of bringing it back to my home and overheat indicator went off on the starboard engine causing the engine is shut down. To make a long story short the engine had a catastrophic failure and completely seized causing $48,000 worth of damage to the engine without any insurance coverage. This was a failure that was caused by an internal problem and the engine had nothing to do with poor service or running the vessel in an improper manner. I have extensive service documents that show that all required services were done on this engine either on or before the scheduled required date. I wrote to Volvo in hopes that I can get them to work with me at giving me the cost price for the parts since insurance would not cover such extensive damage caused by an internal engine failure. To complicate the problem even worse I received a call several days later from the Volvo Penta dealer telling me that the starboard IE S Dr. had water in the gear fluid compartment indicating that one of the main seals had failed causing water to enter the drive Which now meant the drive needed a complete replacement edit additional cost of $27,000. Further investigation has shown that these IPS drives are not built well and in fact built to fail. This is an $80,000 repair in total which I cannot afford to pay out of pocket. This is a very serious issue and something I am considering on commencing litigation. I am looking for potential people that have had the same incidence as I have. Even though this vessel is 10 years old marine engines are suppose to last far past 750 hours. I would like to exchange information with you.

Originally Posted by suki01 (Post 458002)
Hi all, newbie here.

Just bought my first boat with twin Volvo IPS 500, 250 hours on them, hull 2005.

Itīs been an absolute disaster, on the first journey, 30 mins after leaving the marina, the starboard IPS failed, heard a grinding noise come from the starboard engine so cut it and came in. There was no pressure holding in the gearbox, the engineer came out and took the IPS away to his workshop, a tooth had come off the gear set, run through the gears and cracked the case - full rebuild cost me 35,000.

On the second attempt to get her home, all was going well for two hours until the port engine needed to be shut down, apparently the top box has failed and the whole thing needs a rebuild again, sorry canīt be more specific!
I wish I had never ever bought Volvo, as a newcomer to the boating world this has become a complete disaster.

Bought from a broker, full surveys and engine serviced and checked, they say no warranty, not their problem. Just stuck with massive bills, is it worth it?
Has anyone experienced the same, Iīm gutted :(