For Sale / Trade - Archive Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Private and commercial posts are also welcome!

For Sale: 1998 V70 T5 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Sale: 1998 V70 T5 5-speed

SOLD.

All -

I'm selling my car. It has 198,500 miles. Black over tan leather. No rust, no accident damage. Very clean car. I can provide an AutoCheck certificate for it's clean title.

I've done a lot of work to the car, and it's in great condition. It pulls strong, the engine runs great. No warning lights, good maintenance.

I've been trying to sell locally for a month, and I'm not happy with the results. Too many people who don't know what they're looking at. I'm not saying it's a collectible, but it's a neat car.

Email if you're interested. I'm asking $4999 elsewhere, but make me a decent offer...

borden.matt at gmail.com

The good (within past 24 months):

Powertrain
- New spark plugs, wires, air filter, distributor cap and rotor
- New Die Hard Gold Group 48 battery
- New Bosch AFM
- New Secondary Air check valve and solenoid valve
- New coolant temp sensor and thermostat
- New coolant hoses and coolant flush
- New AC Accumulator and refrigerant
- IPD upper engine mount
- IPD lower transmission mount
- OEM lower engine mount
- IPD Reverse Intercooler Piping kit with Silicone elbows
- IPD Compressor Bypass Valve
- IPD HD Turbo Control Valve
- Timing belt ~40k remaining
- Even compression +/- 2% all 5 cylinders
- Mobil One 5W-30 synthetic oil changes every 5,000mi or less.
- Transmission fluid changed at 195k
- No check engine or warning lights
- No clutch slippage
- Smooth gear changes with no grinding or popping out of gear.

Suspension
- New rear shocks
- New rear shock mounts
- New front Strut seats
- IPD front strut brace
- New ball joint

Tires & Brakes
- IPD braided stainless brake lines
- New Brembo stock-size rotors and new pads front and rear
- New parking brake cables and brake shoes
- Full-size spare tire

Body / Interior
- IPD variable intermittent wiper delay
- IPD Wheelskin
- IPD tailgate clip kit
- Volvo arm-rest cupholder (new)
- New tailgate struts
- All-weather rubber floor mats (front)
- Volvo carpeted floor mats (rear)
- Volvo retractable cargo cover
- Volvo removable roof rack
- Hitch mounted bicycle rack (and 1” hitch)

The bad:
- Turn signals don't automatically cancel
- Cruise control stopped working ~2mos ago
- Going to need new struts fairly soon.

Attached Thumbnails For Sale: 1998 V70 T5 5-speed-p1000416.jpg  

Last edited by sohcfour; 05-16-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: SOLD.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Forgot to mention, the car is located in Milwaukee, WI (airport MKE). I've travelled to buy cars in the past and I'm willing to work with you on that. I'm happy to take more photos and describe it in more detail. Don't want any disappointments.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 PM

All -

Just had the car to my mechanic, Auto Werkes in Milwaukee. Looks like the noise I was hearing (thought it was a bearing or tie rod) is actually a strut. I changed the post to reflect this.

- Matt

Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gorgeous car. I'm in Milwaukee too. Nice to see there's more than a couple of us here. Sad to see you're selling it. lol.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Thanks, I've really enjoyed it. Love the drivetrain especially. If you have any like-minded friends, pass along my info.

Unfortunately, marketing this V70 has been tough. Nothing against the locals, but I get a lot of price-point shoppers. The whole turbo/manual thing seems to be lost...

I'm picking up an Outback XT (H4 turbo, manual) soon. It's a rare chance for me to buy a car I like! Volvo dropped manuals, then wagons altogether. The new Outback is ugly and lacks a turbo, Saab is dying, and I'm not a huge VW/Audi fan...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by sohcfour
Thanks, I've really enjoyed it. Love the drivetrain especially. If you have any like-minded friends, pass along my info.

Unfortunately, marketing this V70 has been tough. Nothing against the locals, but I get a lot of price-point shoppers. The whole turbo/manual thing seems to be lost...

I'm picking up an Outback XT (H4 turbo, manual) soon. It's a rare chance for me to buy a car I like! Volvo dropped manuals, then wagons altogether. The new Outback is ugly and lacks a turbo, Saab is dying, and I'm not a huge VW/Audi fan...
Good to hear. If you're looking for newer, have you considered an 04-07 V70R with an M66?

I'm not trying to be one of those price-point shoppers, but 5k is overpriced for the car that is 13 years old and has 200k miles on it. You have to keep in mind that the VAST majority of car shoppers do not care about performance upgrades, and generally to an enthusiast, it won't either. In the end, the engine and body still has 200k miles on it and is 13 yo.

You would probably make more money taking off all of the performance options, returning the car to stock, selling the car for approx 3k and selling the performance parts separately. I will never buy a car that has performance extras on it, because I know that there was a chance that it was driven roughly compared to the average driver. Some people may not like that.

Not trying to sound mean, just trying to help out your sale. If you would like me to, I can edit this stuff out, but it will help your sale.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Point taken, and I understand. My price is by no means firm. And I know I won't get most of my money back on those parts. I installed them because they make the car feel tighter and more modern, but I can see where someone might extrapolate abuse.

For the record, I am an engine calibration engineer. I did so at Honda, and now at a motorcycle company (guess which). I've enjoyed incrementally improving the powertrain. No major HP adds, but the overall drivability is much better than when I bought it.

I guess if I have trouble selling it I'll consider taking back my parts and letting the local tire kickers have it. I just know how hard it was for me to find this car, and how much nicer it is now...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by sohcfour
I just know how hard it was for me to find this car, and how much nicer it is now...
Oh. I fully understand. I also have the IPD strut bar (same as yours), rear Bilstein HDs with IPD springs and front coilovers on my 850 (as well as a few go-fast parts under the hood). I would never have imagined this car to ride and perform the way it does today.

It's a shame that the average buyer does so not see that in it. If you are willing to, I would love to come by and check it it out, unfortunately I'm not in the car market at all, but would like to see it and meet a fellow Volvo enthusiast that lives in Milwaukee. Currently I'm tied up with finishing a research project for my Capstone class and then finals, but if it's around in a couple weeks, let me know.

Also, if you haven't done so, post this up on Volvospeed (which is where I frequent most and you'll have the best luck selling it to an enthusiast that will appreciate the parts you have added) or Swedespeed.

Last edited by gilber33; 05-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fewer than 200 V70 T5Ms were imported into the USA. Of course, it's always possible to swap an M56h into an automatic, but the OEM manuals are very cool. Seems like Volvo enthusiasts have a tendency to migrate to Subies.