For Sale / Trade - Archive Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Private and commercial posts are also welcome!

1989 780 Bertone Turbo - Parting Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's just the ignition wiring for the ICU and crap. Everything else should be good to go in terms of my harness. I'll read those and make an updated list after I go do my starter right now.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:29 PM

I working on a plus T for my 240 as well(saving my pennies) and for the money of buying a pre fabricated wiring harness setup for LH 2.2 turbo ECU and EZK, you really can't beat it. All you have to do is have the correct ecu and ezk and everything is pretty much plug and play as long as you have the correct distributor and IAC valve.

Dave's Volvo Engine Wire Harness Page

Stock 700/900 series turbo injectors flow 310 cc. 5 cylinder fuel injectors flow at 350 cc but for anyone who is doing a plus T and wants to minimize wiring issues, getting the high impedance injectors is the way to go.

There's no way around upgrading the ignition system unless you want to blow the engine up. You can hack up LH 2.2 turbo ignition harness and make it work(hundreds of people have done it). I would just buy the conversion harness because it will make everything a lot easier in the long run. Once that is done, that you can add on the turbo components and ran the car with no issues.

You don't have to swap the cam right away because if you do swap for the turbo cam, it will have to be shim properly because the car won't run great(will still run and drive but not optimal).

Old 08-26-2016, 10:39 PM

Yeah, looks like I'll be needing the engine harness as well to use the EZK ignition. This just keeps getting more and more complicated.. New list:

Turbo
Intercooler + int/rad mounts
ducting
ECU/ICU
exhaust manifold + downpipe
MAF/airbox
ballast resistor for injectors - wont need if I get high impedence injectors from a junkyard
injectors - also wont need if I find junkyard ones
oil lines for the turbo
camshaft

wiring harness
bracket and stuff for ICU - ICU should be next to the column above the pedals

Old 08-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Looks like 70% of the harness on the 780 is already disconnected. I though it was ALL of the wiring back to the fuel pump. Not so bad from the looks of it.

The rest is on it's way out of the car. Went to borrow jackstands today and they are RUSTED. I do not trust my life to them. The floor jack, however, is accessible anytime.

In the process of looking for other jack stands. Getting the ECU/ICU and resistor today. The Turbo, Manifold, and downpipe are all thats left at that point. The oil lines will come out with the turbo/manifold/donwpipe same time, same job.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 AM

HFT has decent jackstands for $25 then you can use a 20% coupon.

http://images.harborfreight.com/hftw...savings_bw.png

And you can get one of those free multimeters that only lasts until your next trip to HFT.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM

Hey, if you haven't gotten jackstands yet I just got an HFT ad with them for $18.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:56 PM

I'm thinking of just buying this: Turbobricks Forums

Old 08-29-2016, 10:06 PM

It'd be less work to just get the harness, knock sensor, powerstage, etc from the Bertone than to buy that and splice it into my existing crappy harness.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 AM

So, bought a $20 U-JOINT/EXTENSION SET from home depot yesterday. FINALLY got the last bolt on the exhaust manifold, that faces/sits behind the turbo housing off. The manifold is free. Having a tough time with the 3rd bottom bolt on the flange between the turbo and downpipe. 2 are off already.

Got under the car yesterday and got all 3 nuts loose that hold the downpipe to the cat. The flange there is NOT welded lol and just spins. Got a neighbor to come help today. Once thats disconnected, the manifold, turbo and downpipe will all slide out through the engine bay. At that point its easy to get all 3 parts seperated.

I'll pull the knock sensor and the rest of the harness. It's on its way to completion so dont worry lol. It's just time consuming. What's the powerstage? Oh, I'll snap pics today too.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 AM

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8149/2...1670b225_c.jpg
It's the little thing with the big connector between the ECU and ICU. I'll try to find where it's located.

EDIT: Looks like it's near the battery/wheel well.

Last edited by Cwazywazy; 08-30-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Oh yeah, that's mounted on the inside wall of the engine bay near the battery. Was looking at it yesterday thinking it was the ballast resistor lol.

That's a nice kit btw. The engine harness is the LAST thing afte the sensors and pulling the manifold/turbo/pipe. Have you decided on low vs high impedence injectors?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:33 AM

When I go to the junkyard I'll look for high impedance injectors along with an efan and some other stuff.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:44 AM

I have the efan and will include it. Any other stuff just add it to the list.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:36 AM

I think that's it.

Turbo
Intercooler + int/rad mounts
ducting
ECU/ICU + mounting brackets
exhaust manifold + downpipe
MAF/airbox
ballast resistor for injectors - wont need if I get high impedence injectors from a junkyard
injectors - also wont need if I find junkyard ones
oil lines for the turbo
camshaft
wiring harness
efan
powerstage
knock sensor

Old 08-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Got the downpipe off, as well as the knock sensor, AND the exhaust manifold is free with the turbo still attached. There is an oil line attached at the bottom fo the turbo thats giving me fits; as well as a line on top of the turbo thats metal and not flexible, but should have ALL o it off tomorrow if it doesn;t pour.

So, all that's left is the manifold/turbo package, harness (which is mostly disconnected and ready to go, the efan and powerstage. THe oil lines will be EASY once the manifold/turbo is out.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:05 PM

As of right now I could send you:

Cam
Intercooler + Mounts
Ducting
MAF/Airbox
Downpipe
Injectors + Resistor
Knock Sensor
Power Stage

NOT YET OFF:

ECU/ICU (Quick Pull)
Manifold + Turbo (Disonnected but with oil lines in the way still)
Oil Lines (Easy Pull once manifold is off)
eFan (Easy Pull)
Wiring Harness (Mostly done)

Old 08-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Don't bother with the pusher efan, I'm looking for one to replace the mechanical fan. Glad to hear the progress.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Ah, this eFan is in font of the condensor near the grille. There was also the mech fan that I took off. You're looking for a bigger eFan near the frille or 2 as one to replace mech and the efan in front?

MAN, the manifold is right there but I can;t bend the oil lines so it's going to take some fenagaling to get it off. Even with the extensions and u-joints the oil line on the bottom of the turbo is in such an awkward place without a lift. Pulling the oil filter will clear some space. Still haven't drained the oil after all of this lmao. I'll snap pics tomorow. Flat out didn;t today.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 PM

BTW, I'll look for the cheapest shipping available but it's probably going to cost over $100 to ship all of this based on my last shipment of 23lbs at 24"x23"x12" box. Breaking it up into 2 or 3 boxes may be the best option. Remains to be seen.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM

I'll find an efan at a junkyard to convert. Chances are I won't be able to use the stock turbo oil lines anyway, so if you have to cut them it's no biggie.

Quick Reply: 1989 780 Bertone Turbo - Parting Out