For Sale / Trade - Archive Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Private and commercial posts are also welcome!

For sale: 1989 240 DL (northern NJ)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For sale: 1989 240 DL (northern NJ)

Hi folks,

My significant other is more familiar with the car than me. Here's an email she wrote to me, summarizing the condition of the car.

The catalytic converter problem mentioned (and the need to replace the exhaust system sooner rather than later) is currently resulting, frequently, in a distracting and alarming clacking/rattling sound from the undercarriage when its driven. (Something relating to the cc being clogged, I gather at third hand.)

That said:

--------------------------

The odometer is not working. It's stuck on 149,130 and I estimate the real mileage to be around 153,000-155,000.

The front tires are a little thin and would ideally need replacing for anyone wanting to drive in the snow. The back tail lights need 2 new sockets (one on each side) for them to operate maximally. The tail lights do work, but it's only 1 out of 2 lights on each side that work. Enough to not get stopped by cops.

The temperature gauge doesn't appear to be working correctly. It ranges wildly up and down the whole range of temperatures, sometimes going all the way up to the red (though the engine doesn't seem especially hot at those times), and then plunging down to the lowest level. I have no idea if any of the readings are ever accurate.

The whole exhaust system needs replacing because of the catalytic convertor, including muffler, pipes, etc. He estimates that at $1100. I don't know if some do-it-yourselfer could do it cheaper or if a more rinky-dink mechanic would skimp on stuff.

The door locks don't work consistently with the key. The interior overhead light bulb needs replacing.

The gas level indicator is broken. To fix it, the fuel pump would need to be replaced (estimate is $700).

However, the back tires are newish, the back wheels are new, I have all the maintenance records if anyone was interested. The brakes are in good shape.

------------------------

[Me again.] I'd add that there's a dent, probably about 18-24" (but shallow), on one side of the car. Not sure how to characterize the body. Pretty good, I'd say -- definitely not a rust bucket. We can take photos for someone with a serious interest.

We have no idea what price to ask. Basically, we're kind of depressed about getting rid of it, because we love it (but are tired of putting so much money into it every year), and rather than just junk it we'd like to hand it over to someone who'll fix it or will at least use the parts.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Oss