Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://volvoforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-38/)
-   -   Radio problems (https://volvoforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-38/radio-problems-59219/)

jbuck 11-17-2011 09:01 AM

Radio problems

1997 850 R Just purchased and radio was displaying code error. Easy fix got 4 digit code from dealer and entered code. Code message is gone but now head unit dilplays "off" and does not seem to power up. Any thoughts?

Kiss4aFrog 11-17-2011 11:16 AM

Sorry to even say this but have you checked the fuse? It's going to have two. They will be on different circuits as the memory and clock function are always hot or on and the main radio fuse will be switched. It's the main one that might be blown. It would be in the box under the hood.

You can always remove the radio and disconnect the two leads on the back and plug them back in just to make sure they are seated but otherwise for a radio that is getting power and will not turn on it's internal and gets replaced.

Maybe someone else has a clue?

It wouldn't hurt to call the dealer. Worst they can say is you'd need to bring it in :(

rspi 11-17-2011 01:49 PM

OFF means you entered the wrong code. It is hard to get the code from a radio inplant. They have to call Volvo Cars of North America. My guess is that the radio you have is NOT the one that came with the car. If it is, try the code again when the radio resets to CODE. It should NEVER read ERROR, unless there is a problem with the CD changer or there is a CD stuck in the machine.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...battery-52074/

Let me back up a little. If you have a CD changer, unplug it from the back of the radio, let the radio reset it self to CODE and enter the code you have. If it doesn't work the 1st time, my bet would be that you do not have the original radio that come with the car. Pull the radio out of the dash, get the SN off of it, and verify that you have the original radio, if not, have them get the code for that radio. Once you enter the right code, the display will read ON for about 3 seconds and it will work after that.

rspi 11-17-2011 01:55 PM

Another thing... most people and the manual says to leave the car in ON position for 2 hours to reset the radio, that is not necessary. You can drive around with the radio on (OFF will be displayed) and the radio will reset after you have driven around for 2 hours. So, if you sit for 30 minutes in the run position, then drive around for 1-1/2 hours, your 2 hours will be up and the display will show CODE.

Kiss4aFrog 11-17-2011 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or, you can trash can the thing and get something you like.

I had the tape player radio and couldn't find a CD player in a reasonable time so I went aftermarket. If just seems so much easier.

Thanks for the info on the "off" rspi.:)

rspi 11-17-2011 07:28 PM

What did you get... Stereo

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog (Post 296403)
I had the tape player radio and couldn't find a CD player in a reasonable time so I went aftermarket. If just seems so much easier. :)

What did you get? Looks single dim. I'd like to get something nice that would plug and play. My current stereo only has a CD player and no aux ports on the front. It would be nice to plug my phone into it and listed to internet music. I miss that not having a cassette.

My big fear is that they hacked up the stereo wires on the back of the thing. When I turn the lights on the radio lights do NOT dim. It's a single dim and they put a trey under it.

Kiss4aFrog 11-17-2011 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought two AM/FM/CD's with USB front input from Checker auto parts when they were on clearance. They were dirt cheap (30?) and I'm not sure what brand they are. The one in the picture is something I pulled off Crutchfield with a slide out DVD screen and GPS. I don't have $550 for a radio.

I do have the single DIN style and I spliced the wiring in. I have two base boxes (2X2-12"), four mid and four tweeters run buy three amps. Nothing fancy, just clearance stuff Checker was getting rid of when they quit carrying car audio. I don't need to rock the neighborhood but between AC/DC highway to hell and Andy Williams Moon River it does a wonderful job and fills the wagon. In a pinch I can wake up the neighborhood. Now I'm working on replacing the stock speakers as I presently have them disconnected and then I'll wire them in too. Still have two more amps from the sale. Had to do the LED courtesy light conversion first. What a difference. I have bifocals and it's nice to be able to read a street map. With the stock yellowish dome lights I was getting to the point I just couldn't read anything in print much smaller than this. Those LED's really make a difference;)

jbuck 11-17-2011 08:30 PM

Hey thanks guys for the great input. My dealer has been great i only showed them the title so then obtained the info from it. I think i will pull the radio and take it in tomorrow. The weird thing was that the code was 00XXXX, the zeros threw me off since there is no 0 on the radio buttons. I had just got a code for the 850 Turbo wagon the day before.

jbuck 11-17-2011 08:35 PM

Just by chance where would the second fuse be? I checked the one in the box.

Kiss4aFrog 11-17-2011 08:59 PM

I'd have to dig on that one but it's for the memory only and it's hot all the time, key on, key off, key in your pocket. My guess would be it's on the circuit with the courtesy lights but that's a guess. The fuse for the power should be

You made me look !
#7 in the fuse box under the hood - 15 Amp - Audio System

#15 - 10 Amp (1993-95) Audio System, Courtesy Lights, Door Open Light, Trunk Light, Glove Box Light, Remote Control Central Locking System, Oil Level Sensor, Seat Belt Reminder

#7 should be the one that is only hot key on
#15 would be memory and is hot all the time

These would be stock radio fuses. If you or someone installs an aftermarket radio a lot of the time it has a separate inline fuse in the line behind the radio. It can fool you as you don't think to look there.

jbuck 11-30-2011 04:16 PM

RSPI was right, my radio was a factory reconditioned one. Took it to the dealer and they looked the serial number up on the radio and it turned on and works great. Thanks

rspi 11-30-2011 09:27 PM

Another note about these factory radios... If you do not see the words Premium Sound System on your current radio, you have a average sounding system in your car. Go get a system that has those gold letters on it and you will be SHOCKED of how great the sound system is, providing that you have speakers that are not dry rotten or damaged by some sound hungry person that blasted them until the blew up.

I got a system that was in a 960 and tossed it in my daughters S70 and she thought it was her birthday all over again. Now I actually hear her coming before she gets here. Really nice deep sound.