Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Sights N Sounds (https://volvoforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-38/)
-   -   Volvo XC70 V Subaru Awd. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-38/volvo-xc70-v-subaru-awd-8214/)

v70 2.4t 10-16-2006 07:27 AM

Volvo XC70 V Subaru Awd.

Not much to say other than.
Why cant the Volvo do it.
Maybe because it's not a true AWD ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyLgYskj-oc

V70 2.4T

white out 12-02-2006 06:26 PM

RE: Volvo XC70 V Subaru Awd.

Subaru's all wheel drive > everyone else' s awd.

Nick

white out 12-02-2006 06:42 PM

I found this video tooling around on youtube. Boreing but shows the different awd systems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dVFY5CxT0

Nick

JPN 02-07-2007 02:04 PM

I never paid much attention to Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries) until I watched these videos. Subaru is very minor in its home country, except for some hot-rod models. Now I pay them more respect. I only wish they made the interior more attractive.

JPN

S70driver 02-07-2007 04:47 PM

I didn't watch the videos but.

Volvo's AWD goes to FWD after 30MPH.

Scoobies are full-time awd.

JPN 02-08-2007 05:02 AM

RE: Volvo XC70 V Subaru AWD.

"Torque-Split" systems don't seem to work as they were designed to. The same goes for some ABS & TRC. Considering the price difference between Volvo & Subaru, I wish Volvo outperformed Subaru but it didn't.

Engineers in Sweden should test their AWD system on icy inclines next time they design AWD or related systems.

Toyota & Nissan SUVs have miserably been defeated by Subaru. After all, most SUVs are not meant for All-Terrain or All-Weather, let alone off-road use. They are only meant for "Show-off" or gas-guzzling purposes.

I expect to see improvements in newer Volvos. With Sweden's harsh winter, they should be able to do it.

JPN

hbombhondacrew 03-01-2007 06:06 PM

RE: Volvo XC70 V Subaru AWD.

ive got a 2000 s80 n/a i beat my friends 2.5rs with intake/ skunk2 cat back lol and my other friends 350 caprice, i cant keep up with the 2.5 now because we put a avo turbo kit on so its a lil faster now :(

Rickc10ny 03-02-2007 02:46 AM

I guess if you drive up muddy hills on a daily basis this might be important to you. If you want to impress me drive the Subie and XC70 into a barrier at 60 mph and see who walks away. I have owned 2 two subie Legacys, a 1996 and a 1998 great little cars but they don't take a punch like a Volvo can

98v70 03-02-2007 09:27 PM

Why wasn't the rear wheels of the Volvo spinning? If surely isn't going over30mph so the "awd" systemshouldbe on. I don't know what the gentlemen is saying but it looks like a commercial for Subaru.

white out 04-15-2007 07:32 PM

Rick, I rolled an '04 STi at 80mph and drove it three hours home. So they take a pretty good beating.

98V70, the volvo's center diff was not sending any of the power to the rear wheels for some reason. Volvo should proably completely change their awd system and look at subaru, mitsu, or the skyline gtr's systems. All of those are renowned and offer many different control from the driver of how to adjust power displacement.

Nick

cbevis 05-08-2007 04:29 PM

Has anyone checked out the new EVO? I love the XC but man....my left pinky for an EVO....ugly as hell but in a road race test against the new Lambo it smoled it.

I'll try to find it

s6025t 06-10-2007 07:29 AM

if that video was done properly the subaru would have broken its center diff probably, i used to work at a subey dealership and I can say atleast the volvo would be in one piece after 4wding and it would have killed the subaru, subarus are a veryweak car that purely rely on PERCIEVED quality and marketing, the hopeless truth subaru owners have to deal with is no road going subaru uses anything even slightly relevant to rally technology!.

white out 10-01-2007 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: s6025t

if that video was done properly the subaru would have broken its center diff probably, i used to work at a subey dealership and I can say atleast the volvo would be in one piece after 4wding and it would have killed the subaru, subarus are a veryweak car that purely rely on PERCIEVED quality and marketing, the hopeless truth subaru owners have to deal with is no road going subaru uses anything even slightly relevant to rally technology!.
hahahaha, that is classic. You should proably pull your head out of your ass before making any more false statements. ;)

Nick

v70 2.4t 10-03-2007 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: s6025t

I must agree, i think you have the wrong info, i owned a 98 forester
it was one tuff car, i put that car through hell, i did although maintain it very well, i would put Subaru ahead of Volvo for reliability, i would also say that they have a excellent build quality, most Subaru's now have 5 star encap ratings, they are far from a weak car...

v70 2,4t

TheSteelKnight 10-03-2007 08:39 AM

sad to say, but volvo could take a few lessons from them.

JPN 10-03-2007 08:48 PM

Gentlemen,

Please keep the thread free of sarcasm and rudeness, or I will have to lock it[8D].

JPN

mncx 10-31-2007 11:05 PM

First that video was filmed in either 2001 or 2002 (look carefully onthe steering wheel it'sstill"Volvo" in letter in 03 and up use the new volvo iron logo) in which volvo still using the same AWD setup as when 850 AWD (viscous coupling) all mechanical AWD and no STC or DSTC to lock spinning wheel to transfer power to the other wheel. Second back then (I used to own a 2000 Legacy GT) it have rear LSD and full time all wheel drive) all wheel turns full time when it's on the hoist. (back then subaru only dump money on their drivetrainso interior is pretty low tech and material used was marginal in order offset the cost of drivetrain). Volvo on the other hand back then was target at customer who wants luxury and comfort. so it have to cut on drivetrain design back then. also not to mention even haldex AWD 03-05 will not kick in rear wheel until front spinning almost 1/10 or a turn (06-up will have instant traction in which it is precharge with pressure to create an "almost" instant feel of AWD)

TheSteelKnight 11-03-2007 10:56 AM

okay soooooooo for us that dont speak tech 100%. your saying volvo is not full time but should kick in after a bit. or what im just not quite gettting it. but i want too. ;)