South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV, VA, DE, DC, MD

2015 Volvo V60 CEL code P018C (fuel pressure sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Volvo V60 CEL code P018C (fuel pressure sensor)

Hi,

I am new to these forums. Does anyone know if I really have to replace fuel pressure sensor? I was given a quote of $570 to replace the sensor, but I would hate to waste the money if the issue is much simpler than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew K

Old 04-28-2022, 05:13 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by akostenko
Does anyone know if I really have to replace fuel pressure sensor?
Do you have to replace it? Does the car run bad? Any symptoms? Just a code? Don't replace parts (or let someone else replace parts) by code. Diagnose why that code is there. For fuel pressure you can measure fuel pressure on the scan tool (what the sensor is saying) and you can double check with a fuel pressure gauge. Don't replace by code - it gets expensive and frustrating.

5 or 4 cyl engine?
The 5 cyl fuel pressure sensor is a common $40-$100 part depending on brand, and is simple to replace.

The 4 cyl pressure sensor is not sold by itself from Volvo (unless that has changed) The parts catalog shows it as part of the injector rail that would take some time to replace. Looks like that part is several hundred dollars. There may be an aftermarket solution for the pressure sensor on the 4cyl - some manufacturer makes that sensor and might sell it by itself.

Last edited by hoonk; 04-28-2022 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Do you have to replace it? Does the car run bad? Any symptoms? Just a code? Don't replace parts (or let someone else replace parts) by code. Diagnose why that code is there. For fuel pressure you can measure fuel pressure on the scan tool (what the sensor is saying) and you can double check with a fuel pressure gauge. Don't replace by code - it gets expensive and frustrating.

5 or 4 cyl engine?
The 5 cyl fuel pressure sensor is a common $40-$100 part depending on brand, and is simple to replace.

The 4 cyl pressure sensor is not sold by itself from Volvo (unless that has changed) The parts catalog shows it as part of the injector rail that would take some time to replace. Looks like that part is several hundred dollars. There may be an aftermarket solution for the pressure sensor on the 4cyl - some manufacturer makes that sensor and might sell it by itself.

I don't think I need to replace it because car runs good and no symptoms, just a code, but I don't like having that CEL on. Thankfully, it's a 5 cyl. I am also wondering if code P018C necessarily means I need to change the sensor and if it could be related to something else. I appreciate the response and will check the fuel pressure. Thank you.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:03 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by akostenko
I am also wondering if code P018C necessarily means I need to change the sensor and if it could be related to something else.
The code means a control unit does not like the signal from a sensor. Could that mean a sensor is bad, sure. Could that mean the sensor is reporting the truth and something else is creating the incorrect signal - YES, usually. That said fuel pressure sensors have been known to fail. I have sold and replaced a bunch of them that have solved a check engine light. On the other hand many times I have had a fuel pressure sensor code and the fuel pump is not delivering the correct fuel pressure - a sensor code appears and the solution is something else.

Sometimes a customer comes in after replacing the fuel pressure sensor frustrated - "the part I bought did not fix my problem". The solution - Diagnose the real problem before you replace any parts. I agree - sometimes that's hard!

The following users liked this post:
akostenko (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:32 AM

Hoonk,

Thank you so much for your advice. Now I know how to approach a mechanic to make sure I don't get misdiagnosed.

Andrew