South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV, VA, DE, DC, MD

2001 S40 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S40 sedan

Okay guys hopefully yall can help me figure this out being I know nothing about a volvo.. first off this is my fiance car.. it sat up for 1 1/2 due to weather was told it had jumped timing.. well come to find out, it was the tensioner pull your for the timing belt that broke.. well as guy I know changed the tension pulling an said that the timing and all was in perfect line and all lined up right.. well I drove the car from his house to mines which is about 5 miles.. well the car was very sluggish on take of an would wind out high rims and would gradually get up to speed.. once up to speed the car ran fine.. if I would let off the gas and get back on the gas, it would wind out an slowly get back up to speed.. ( FIRST THING I THOUGHT, TRANSMISSION) but the car was running rough and when I pulled in the driveway, it killed on me.. I started it back up an it ran rough so I stopped it an haven't started it sense.. I have dropped the tank today to clean out any bad gas that was in it from being sitting up so long.. next I'm gonna clean out all the fuel lines just to get to old gas out of there lines and change fuel filter..

So here my question which I'm sure is a big one.. what do yall think might be wrong with the car from what I described ? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

The 2001s have a VVT gear (variable valve timing) on the exhaust cam which changes the valve timing at higher RPMs - did your buddy account for aligning that? Has the car thrown any check engine light codes (yet)? changing out the old fuel won't hurt so after that I'd look at the plugs, wires (use OEM copper core plugs, and there's only two plug wires...) so this will cost you less than $50. Also look at the connectors for the coil packs for any cracks. Next I'd inspect the intake - how clean is the MAF and throttle body? Then I'd check the fuel pressure on the schrader valve on the rail. Last is I'd check the color of the transmission fluid by wiping the tranny dipstick on a white paper towel. Reddish brown is good, brown could use a flush or a few drain/fills, black is... drain/fill and pray. Finally do an oil change - some 5-30 synthetic will help keep the VVT gear clean and happy.