Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and talk about it here.

TRQ brand for struts/suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRQ brand for struts/suspension ?

Can I get input and any info folks have on reliability or quality of 1A auto's selling maker - TRQ for suspension parts ?

Old 09-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

There are three "classes" of auto parts - Genuine Volvo, OEM and after market. Dealers sell Genuine Volvo - which means the part is in a Volvo badged box and has the exact Volvo part number on it - but these are purchased by Volvo from the OEM suppliers. That says OEM is for the most part the exact same part as from Volvo in a generic box - but you need to make sure that you are getting the correct part number since the OEMs make similar parts for other applications. This is a typical issue with devices like MAFs where two OEM parts look the same but only one is the Volvo equivalent. Finally you have aftermarket. These can be of any quality - some are actually designed to be better than OEM, others are mass produced to go to market at a lower price.

TRQ falls in the after-market category - which says they may not be a perfect fit, they may not be to the same detailed specs as OEM or genuine.

My two cents is for long wear suspension parts (ie parts with rubber etc), I stick with OEM or genuine since the cost of the replacement is mostly labor. For shocks/struts Boge Sachs are most often the OEM supplier to Volvo (I believe Monroe is for the 4C electronic dampers). For rubber bushings/control arms etc, Lemforder is OEM.

Check out sites like FCP and IPD USA and they typically will provide info on which of their parts are from the OEM suppliers, which are genuine and which are after market to help you decide.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mt6127
There are three "classes" of auto parts - Genuine Volvo, OEM and after market. Dealers sell Genuine Volvo - which means the part is in a Volvo badged box and has the exact Volvo part number on it - but these are purchased by Volvo from the OEM suppliers. That says OEM is for the most part the exact same part as from Volvo in a generic box - but you need to make sure that you are getting the correct part number since the OEMs make similar parts for other applications. This is a typical issue with devices like MAFs where two OEM parts look the same but only one is the Volvo equivalent. Finally you have aftermarket. These can be of any quality - some are actually designed to be better than OEM, others are mass produced to go to market at a lower price.

TRQ falls in the after-market category - which says they may not be a perfect fit, they may not be to the same detailed specs as OEM or genuine.

My two cents is for long wear suspension parts (ie parts with rubber etc), I stick with OEM or genuine since the cost of the replacement is mostly labor. For shocks/struts Boge Sachs are most often the OEM supplier to Volvo (I believe Monroe is for the 4C electronic dampers). For rubber bushings/control arms etc, Lemforder is OEM.

Check out sites like FCP and IPD USA and they typically will provide info on which of their parts are from the OEM suppliers, which are genuine and which are after market to help you decide.
Second this, FCP is my go to because of the lifetime warranty, so replacement parts are free. I got BC Racing coilovers from them and I love them.