Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://volvoforums.com/forum/suspension-24/)
-   -   IDP Sway Bars Installed (https://volvoforums.com/forum/suspension-24/idp-sway-bars-installed-33276/)

twowheelin 08-09-2009 11:37 PM

IPD Sway Bars Installed

My rear bar was installed a few months ago with about an hour of labor with jack-stands in the garage. The front was more involved and I decided to have it done at a local shop. A GoodYear shop near where I work did the job for $250 and I couldn't be happier. The car is much more controlled in harder cornering and feels even more firmly planted than before. There are no noises, squeeks, or clunks in the suspension which feels firmer in corners but tames bumps and potholes just as well as before.

TIPSP 08-10-2009 03:26 PM

sweet.

IPD bars FTW!

twowheelin 08-12-2009 03:12 PM

Just replaced the stock end links with the IPD heavy duty links and there is a subtle improvement but hardly noticable during normal driving. The links look visibly stronger but my stockers were still in decent shape after 56K+ miles.

gilber33 09-10-2009 09:53 PM

I can't wait to do the suspension on my wagon, and to actually feel what performance suspension feels like...ahhh, but that is a long ways away, an engine comes before ride quality.

ntvinh986 10-09-2009 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by twowheelin (Post 175419)
My rear bar was installed a few months ago with about an hour of labor with jack-stands in the garage. The front was more involved and I decided to have it done at a local shop. A GoodYear shop near where I work did the job for $250 and I couldn't be happier. The car is much more controlled in harder cornering and feels even more firmly planted than before. There are no noises, squeeks, or clunks in the suspension which feels firmer in corners but tames bumps and potholes just as well as before.

Thanks you for the post.

drenman 08-31-2015 09:24 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading my '01XC70 with IPDs too. I'm coming from owning 6 redblock RWD wagons, so the ride height and yacht like handling are a little hard to get used to.

It's a different animal for sure even from your S60, but I'm hoping this can improve handling on a wagon that drives like a truck.

mt6127 09-06-2015 04:37 PM

Did the IPD bars on my 850T about 7-8 years ago (right when they came out with their "improved" version). Single best investment I've made. I also wound up replacing the stock end links with the IPD HDs and would recommend doing so on the initial install. I also had a shop install the front since it required loosening the subframe to make some room to install. Still after 100K or so miles no issues (can't say the same for the Bilstein struts I installed, but that's another story...)

Cdubbs 09-18-2015 01:39 PM

This sounds like my first suspension modification once I have the transmission issues sorted, I don't want to go too overboard with the suspension but I'd like to firm things up and reduce some body roll.

Georgeandkira 04-28-2018 08:12 AM

Rear Bilstein H6's go in this week.

This appears to be a near dead thread given the dates.

Just for fun I'm telling you that I'm installing my rears first because:
A) I installed rears first before in my 2002 V70 and it felt just fine,
B) I stumbled upon a sale on rears
C) The fronts were replaced by the PO so they're in good shape.

Let's see how many years go by before someone answers. G&K