Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://volvoforums.com/forum/suspension-24/)
-   -   lowering xc70, sway bars worth the cash? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/suspension-24/lowering-xc70-sway-bars-worth-cash-9543/)

tommy_a 01-11-2007 11:35 AM

lowering xc70, sway bars worth the cash?

hey guys

lowering my 2000 xc70 with Eibach progressive springs. I already have Bilstein shocks on the front as the stock Volvo ones crapped out and needed replacing. The car will also be receiving some 19 or 20" wheels with lower profile tyres.

Would it be worth the 600 odd dollars for sway bars too? Looking at IPD ones.

It's not exactly a race car, but I HATE the body roll when the car corners at even a low speed. Obviously springs and lower profile tyres will drastically decrease this, but I want to know if the sway bars will make a huge difference on top of what I'll already have.

Remember, I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so if I can save money there it would be great!

thanks!

S70driver 01-11-2007 12:22 PM

RE: lowering xc70, sway bars worth the cash?

1. IPD is the only company to make bigger sway bars for Volvo's. Just a little FYI.

2. IPD sway bars are the best suspension mod you can do to your Volvo period.

tommy_a 01-12-2007 05:11 AM

Thanks for the info.

So which would reduce body roll more, springs or sway bars?

Before i get wheels should the car be lowered first (if i'm going to) to make sure there will not be a rubbing issue?

S70driver 01-12-2007 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: tommy_a

Thanks for the info.

So which would reduce body roll more, springs or sway bars?

Before i get wheels should the car be lowered first (if i'm going to) to make sure there will not be a rubbing issue?
IPD sways will reduce the body roll the most.

blackstarpower 01-12-2007 03:03 PM

Directly from ipd's website:

"Sport springs also increase firmness more than any other component, so keep these attributes in mind when considering this upgrade."

S70driver 01-12-2007 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: blackstarpower

Directly from ipd's website:

"Sport springs also increase firmness more than any other component, so keep these attributes in mind when considering this upgrade."
Sway bars are the best suspension upgrade you can do. Sway Bars are also called Anti-Roll bars. That means body roll.

cbevis 01-16-2007 05:44 PM

To each there own...One would argue that without the sport suspention an upgrade to the sway bars would put more strain on the stock shocks, bushings and mounts causing them to wear out faster. On the other hand the same can be said for an upgrade to the suspention without attention to the sway bars. IMO, if you want the full effect, you gotta do both.

I would suggest buying the wheels first and lowering the car accordingly.

S70driver 01-16-2007 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: cbevis

To each there own...One would argue that without the sport suspention an upgrade to the sway bars would put more strain on the stock shocks, bushings and mounts causing them to wear out faster. On the other hand the same can be said for an upgrade to the suspention without attention to the sway bars. IMO, if you want the full effect, you gotta do both.

I would suggest buying the wheels first and lowering the car accordingly.
True

Another item you must and or should buy is QBM's Extreme sway bar endlinks. These will help out a lot. They are adjustable too, which is great.