Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   "New" '94 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/%22new%22-94-940-a-15356/)

Frontovik 11-24-2007 03:28 PM

"New" '94 940

I just bought a '94 940 with 85,00 original miles for my son's first car. The 940 is immaculate with only a few age-related problems. Are there resources for some of the small parts, mainly interior, that I can use to pick up some of the missing pieces; ie. courtesy dome light (missing the lenses), and the plastic blanking pates for the driver's side hand-hold (above the door)? The passenger side has the handhold, but the driver's side has one of the blanking plates missing. The radio is also shot as are the two rear deck speakers. How hard is it to replace the radio with a current aftermarket one? I have restored two MGB Roadsters in the past and look at this as a restoration project......Thanks in advance for any help....Bill G

blue goose 11-24-2007 04:10 PM

RE: "New" '94 940

Best bet is a junkyard. We're fortunate to have 5 or 6 in San Diego County. They usually have a few Volvos lying around in various states of disrepair. I picked up a gauge cluster for a 240 a couple days ago.
Courtesy dome lights may be available from FCP Groton.
Radios are a snap if you buy from Crutchfield. It will fit and they provide all the hand-holding you need.

940turbo94 11-30-2007 11:14 AM

RE: "New" '94 940

The radio could be ahastle to wire around if your particular model of car has a internal amplifier, mine did and I had it done and it took a couple of hours.

pierce 04-29-2012 08:48 PM

(I know this is an old thread, I just stumbled on it, and wanted to correct the last statement)

its not hard at all to wire around the factory amplifier on a 740/940... said amp is under the drivers dashboard, just left of the steering column... remove the kick panel above the pedals, and hte lower dash bumper and the metal plate behind it and unplug the amp, and snip the speaker wires at the amp connector. you'll probably need some extra wire to reach from the amp connector to the speaker leads of your new stereo, so thats an extra set of splices.

I just added front component speakers with external crossovers to my 1992 745T... I put the woofers in the front door and the tweeters in the dash positions.... my speaker wiring went like this...
color - standard stereo wires
(color) - volvo wiring
Left front crossover:
  • 1 front left stereo + white
  • 2 front left stereo - white-black
  • 3 front left door + (blue-yellow)
  • 4 front left door - (white)
  • 5 front left dash + (brown-white)
  • 6 front left dash - (brown)

Right front crossover:
  • 1 front right stereo + grey
  • 2 front right stereo - grey-black