Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   $1200 speedometer fix? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/%241200-speedometer-fix-2078/)

940turbotex 07-22-2005 07:53 PM

$1200 speedometer fix?

I have a '92 940 turbo and my speedometer has been working intermittently for the past year. My sister drove the car in Boston before I got it and thats when the problem started. The roads in the city are horrible and she drove the car like it was a truck. I am not sure about the mechanics of the speedo sensor (is it gears or a sensor that counts the rotation of the wheels?) The speedo usually works up to about 40-70 mph but then it starts falling off until it just reads 0mph. I need to know if its just an alignment problem or if I need to replace the entire sensor (mechanic says $1200!!!). I've already got 3 speeding tickets in one month. Also it seems to work more often when the weather is dry and hot. Any information would help, thanks!

Ignavus 07-22-2005 08:27 PM

RE: $1200 speedometer fix?

Does the odometer work? The sensor for the speedo is on the back of the differential, and the connections often corrode ( do they salt the roads in Boston?). Check the connections and the condition of the wires.

tech 07-22-2005 10:11 PM

RE: $1200 speedometer fix?

I agree check the connections first then try a new sensor if not.

91-740Turbo 05-03-2012 10:17 PM

On my 91' 740 I replaced about 6 capacitors on the circuit panel. Volvo bought some crappy parts then and they corroded. Pull out the instrument culster and then take out the speedometer. Take a look at the capacitors (they look like cylinders). The little wires going from them should look shiny. If they are corroded, then they will need to be replaced. You would need a soldering iron if you do this. First, pop off the needle. DON'T TOUCH THE METAL PART THAT THE NEEDLE WAS CONNECTED TO!!! Touching the metal part after removing the needle will most likely give you a false reading.Remove the face plate. Be careful of the peg on the face plate, it is very fragile. Take the soldering iorn to the base of the capacitors to take away the solder. Replacement capacitors will cost a small fortune of $2.50 at Radio Shack. Place the parts back together and put the instrument cluseter back in the car to test it. Get someone else in another car to drive behind you while communicating with either cell phones or two way radios calling off your speed. Adjust at will after.

Joseph/TX 05-06-2012 03:11 PM

Me, I'm not that great with a soldering iron. My '91 740 speedo crapped out as did the wreck yard replacements that I got, so I finally bit the bullet and sent it off to a place in CA that is able and willing to fix these old units. It was, I think, $260 and they have an exchange program where they send one that's already fixed, for a deposit, and you send your old one in after you get the rebuilt. This involves pulling the cluster yourself, which is not that big a deal, as long as you disconnect the battery first. If you fail to do this you can (and probably will) blow the fuse which is built into the circuit board of the cluster. You can guess how I learned this...

Joseph/TX 05-06-2012 03:14 PM

Damn! Got me again! This post originated in 2005. Whoever is administering this forum is out of control. I want it back like it used to be! Anybody else with me on that?

curryman 05-06-2012 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Joseph/TX (Post 315025)
Me, I'm not that great with a soldering iron. My '91 740 speedo crapped out as did the wreck yard replacements that I got, so I finally bit the bullet and sent it off to a place in CA that is able and willing to fix these old units. It was, I think, $260 and they have an exchange program where they send one that's already fixed, for a deposit, and you send your old one in after you get the rebuilt. This involves pulling the cluster yourself, which is not that big a deal, as long as you disconnect the battery first. If you fail to do this you can (and probably will) blow the fuse which is built into the circuit board of the cluster. You can guess how I learned this...

Can you post the info on the place you sent it to?

Thanks

Curryman

Joseph/TX 05-09-2012 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by curryman (Post 315037)
Can you post the info on the place you sent it to?

Can't find the invoice just now, but I did save the number in my phone:
310 838 7350. This guy is in CA, but he ships the same day.
An alternate shop in FL is also supposed to be good; their number is
888 495 2777. I went with the CA guy. The first speedo he sent me worked perfectly (odometer, too) for about 1000 miles, then it started doing the same bad tricks my old one had done. When I called him about it, he expressed a replacement to me the same day, which has worked fine for about 20,000 mi. now. I'm happy that I found a guy that stands behind his work w/ no BS. Give him a call. And don't forget what I said about disconnecting the battery. Otherwise, pulling the cluster is not that big a deal; seven plugs( and a hose if you've got a turbo) and a bunch of screws. Pretty straightforward..

light8008 05-09-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by 940turbotex (Post 8408)
I have a '92 940 turbo and my speedometer has been working intermittently for the past year. My sister drove the car in Boston before I got it and thats when the problem started. The roads in the city are horrible and she drove the car like it was a truck. I am not sure about the mechanics of the speedo sensor (is it gears or a sensor that counts the rotation of the wheels?) The speedo usually works up to about 40-70 mph but then it starts falling off until it just reads 0mph. I need to know if its just an alignment problem or if I need to replace the entire sensor (mechanic says $1200!!!). I've already got 3 speeding tickets in one month. Also it seems to work more often when the weather is dry and hot. Any information would help, thanks!

do you try to adjust the speedometer???

Joseph/TX 05-09-2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by light8008 (Post 315261)
do you try to adjust the speedometer?

There isn't really any adjustment on these speedos that I know of and the problem was not an adjustment; it was bad capacitors, which leak whatever is in them onto the circuit board. Rick at Overseas Speedometer in Austin, TX showed me exactly what goes wrong with them. Unfortunately, he no longer finds it cost effective to fix them. However, he did refer me to the guys mentioned above. I understand that he now specializes in GM clusters, which are also problematic.
Anyhow, when these speedos are working as they should, they are dead accurate, according to my GPS.

curryman 05-10-2012 09:15 AM

My speedo is just goofy. It'll read one of three things: actual speed, zero or it jumps up and sticks at 45. Any ideas?

Curryman

ETA I'm able to solder and all.

Joseph/TX 05-12-2012 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by curryman (Post 315305)
My speedo is just goofy. It'll read one of three things: actual speed, zero or it jumps up and sticks at 45. Any ideas?

Curryman

ETA I'm able to solder and all.

Check this out..
Volvo 700/900 Speedometer Repair

2002VolvoS60 07-07-2012 10:23 PM

This New England Company also does them...

Our 2002 S60's Instrument Panel died at 135,000 miles. After much research (see forum for DIY soldering http://www.volvo-forums.com/t13321-d...d-problems.htm ) thought it could be the DIM's (Driver Information Module) mircochip/capacitor soldering. We found BBA Remanufacturing Inc. out of Taunton, MA 866 573.2740 http://stores.ebay.com/BBA-Remanufacturing-Inc (For overseas locations see www.bba-Reman.com) They sometimes have specials on Ebay. They fixed it for $339 and we had it back in 48hrs using the included overnight shipping. The dealer cleared the codes for $47 in labor. BBA gives detailed instructions on how to get the codes cleared. Taking out the cluster was an easy DIY. They should be able to fix this as well.