Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   1995 volvo 940 base car stalls (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/1995-volvo-940-base-car-stalls-80422/)

HECTORPORTALUPPI 10-01-2014 11:34 PM

1995 volvo 940 base car stalls

Hi! I bough a 1995 volvo 940 base, it have heating problems, i fixed them.
Now i have a new problem.

I live in los angeles (the san fernando valley) and to get out of it in the morning
is a problem.
I take surface streets all the way to the on ramp on skirball.

When i got to the freeway, the car stalls.

I though it was the alternator belt.
But it wasn't.

I let the car rest for 5 minutes, and the car started again and i made to work in culver city.

On my way back, it stalled 6 time by the time i got home.

What cat it be?

I tough that it was the fuel pump relay, but it did not have one installed.
I found it in the glove compartment ???????? .

How can a volvo runs with out a fuel pump relay?

I am installing one tomorrow.

Could it be a crankcase positioning sensor?

Somebody told me about another relay in the engine compartment by the strut post???.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Hector.

act1292 10-02-2014 06:39 AM

Don't know how it could run without a fuel pump relay. Perhaps someone has changed up the wiring.

The stalling could be due to bad crank position sensor. Take a look at it. If the insulation is flaking off the wire then it should be replaced.

The relay near the strut is the radio suppression relay. It provides power to the fuel injection system and if is starting to fail could cause your symptoms.

HECTORPORTALUPPI 10-02-2014 10:40 AM

Hi act1292!
Do you have a picture of the radio suppression relay?
It would be much easier to find.
I bough the car wednesday of last week in craigh list.
I was told that the car have not been driven for some time.
Could it be a dirty fuel filter?
Everytime that the car stalls, i wait for 15 minutes and the car runs for about 10 miles.
The longer i wait, the further it runs.
I will look into all of these problems.
Thank you.
Any other sugestions?
Hector.

pierce 10-03-2014 02:06 AM

the 1995 940 non-turbos have different fuel pump relays than all earlier models.

the normal dual fuel system+pump relay in the leftmost slot of the middle row of relays is not used at all. instead, the radio suppression relay under the hood is used as the main fuel system relay, powering the ECU, injectors, etc, and there's a relay in a new position on the aft-most row (closest to the shifter) towards the right side, which is a ordinary single relay, that just runs the fuel pumps.

pierce 10-03-2014 02:17 AM

your radio suppression relay should be on the fender wall near the power steering reservoir. the Volvo part number is 1323592, Volvo Relays

if this 'radio' relay is working, one of the wires to each fuel injector should be 'hot' when the ignition is turned on (unplug a fuel injector, turn the ignition on, take a volt meter, black lead on the ground near the fuel rail, red lead on one or the other pin of the injector connector plug (not the jack ON the injector). one should be battery voltage, the other one might be something less than that,

[its a bit of a story why its called the radio suppression relay, you can probably find it on here]

pierce 10-03-2014 02:21 AM

also, late 1995 940's only have the in-tank fuel pump, they don't have a 'main pump' under the car... this is a updated Bosch system, even tho its the same as the Regina. these unified fuel pumps are shared with 850's and newer cars..

HECTORPORTALUPPI 10-04-2014 09:25 PM

Hi pierce!
I got changed the fuel filter under the driver seat today, i saw it myself, it was there .
But that is not the problem.
Because after the fuel filter change, the car stalled again.

It must be electrical.

I ordered the radio suppression relay from ebay.
It will be here next week.
I will let you know how it goes.
Thank you.
Hector.

brickrunner 10-06-2014 03:55 AM

It could be your crank positioning sensor or you ignition control module located on your drivers side fender by the air filter box. Either one will cause your engine to stall and like you say if you wait a while for it to cool, the engine will restart.

HECTORPORTALUPPI 10-19-2014 03:03 PM

hi!
I FOUND THE RADIO SUPPRESSION RELAY.
I THINK THAT IS WHAT IT WAS ANYWAY.
I REPLACE IT.
THEN, WHEN I WAS FLUSHING THE RADIATOR, IT STARTED TO LEAK.
I REPLACED THE RADIATOR.
I CONTINUE TODAY WITH THE RADIATOR FLUSHING.
I DROVE THE CAR FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES AND THE CAR STALLED AGAIN.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
THANK YOU.
HECTOR.

pierce 10-19-2014 10:19 PM

did you TEST that the injectors were getting voltage per what I said before? if they are, then the radio relay was fine. there's NO point in replacing good parts.

act1292 10-20-2014 07:30 AM

When the car stalls, check to see if the fuel pump is working. When the key is turned to the II position, the fuel pump should run for a second or two. I kind of make a habit of listening for this whenever I start my car in the morning. If you don't hear the pump run when you try to start it after a stall, then it might be the fuel pump relay.

Another item to check is your crank position sensor. This sensor sends out timing signals needed to run both the fuel injection and the ignition system. It is located on the top of the bell housing where the engine and transmission meet. It has a fat black coaxial wire running from it up to a connector on the firewall. Inspect the wire. If it has cracked or flaking insulation, then it needs replacement.

As Pierce stated, first check, then replace only items that test bad.

lev 10-20-2014 09:58 AM

Change your CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR!

HECTORPORTALUPPI 11-10-2014 10:25 AM

Thank you all!
I changed the cranshft positioning sensor yesterday, sunday and today, i drove on the 405 freeway south,(10-15 mph) and the car did not stall.
Thank you all of you guys, allways helpfull.
Hector portaluppi.

lev 11-10-2014 03:55 PM

99% of "the car stalls then starts after a while", it's THAT CPS!!! Or the FI relay, a distant second...