Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   240 Swapping an B230F from 86' to 92 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/240-swapping-b230f-86-92-a-100193/)

Sjmccumsey 06-19-2019 10:20 AM

240 Swapping an B230F from 86' to 92

So my mom has a 92 wagon (automatic) and the engine is seized. Tried to put that marvel mystery oil in the spark holes but that didn't fix it. So I have a 86' wagon(also automatic) and figured I can just swap them over. Are there any things I should look out for? I noticed there isn't a crankshaft position sensor on the 86 in the same location as was on the 92, and since the transmission has been out of the 92 for some time I have nothing to cross referance. I'll be putting the tranny from the 86 in as well. Is there a throttle position sensor located someplace else on the older model? Any advice helps, thanks.

92Sedan 06-19-2019 11:06 AM

What seized up the engine?

Both engines use a different ECU, Fuel Injection system, '86 had bio degradable wiring and thin rods iirc. An '86 engine might swap in with some serious electrical work but in the end you're kinda downgrading to a lesser engine. I dont recall if '86s had mechanical or electrical speedometers, but that'd be another thing to consider.

It'd probably be easier to just do a turbo swap honestly.

Sjmccumsey 06-19-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by 92Sedan (Post 474632)
What seized up the engine?

Both engines use a different ECU, Fuel Injection system, '86 had bio degradable wiring and thin rods iirc. An '86 engine might swap in with some serious electrical work but in the end you're kinda downgrading to a lesser engine. I dont recall if '86s had mechanical or electrical speedometers, but that'd be another thing to consider.

It'd probably be easier to just do a turbo swap honestly.

Our old mechanic developed an opioid problem and started "borrowing" parts off the car while he had it cause he was supposed to swap the transmission. She said she pulled up one time and saw the screws out of the luggage rack and the valve cover was off the engine. All I can figure is rust got in it (has been sitting about 5 years now, I have another engine out of an 85 that's been sitting in my barn for 15 years and still hasn't locked up). I do have an engine off a 93 but it's set up for a manual transmission(How hard is it to make it a manual? I know it's hard but if I'm going to all this trouble anyways...). We were looking at going this route simply because shes on a budget and I already had the engine. If I put the 93 in then I'd have to get a new transmission or modify the one out of the 86 to get the sensor in there, right? I know that's the right way to do it.

Sjmccumsey 06-19-2019 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 92Sedan (Post 474632)
I dont recall if '86s had mechanical or electrical speedometers, but that'd be another thing to consider.

There's a speedometer cable that comes out the back side of the transmission on "applicable"(according to Haynes book) models, the 85 I mentioned had that, and the 86 I just pulled out does not. Which would indicate mechanical?

92Sedan 06-19-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sjmccumsey (Post 474635)
Our old mechanic developed an opioid problem and started "borrowing" parts off the car while he had it cause he was supposed to swap the transmission

The '93 engine would be a decent upgrade, I'll let someone else fill you in though as far as compatibility stuff. If you havent done it already I'd get that mechanic to either buy you an engine or at least pay back some money after he goofed your car up.

lev 06-19-2019 09:24 PM

'85, '86 have electronic speedometers.
If you have a '93 engine why not use that to swap in? "Set up for manual transmission"? It's the same engine, just unbolt it from the transmission!

act1292 06-20-2019 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by lev (Post 474676)
'85, '86 have electronic speedometers.
If you have a '93 engine why not use that to swap in? "Set up for manual transmission"? It's the same engine, just unbolt it from the transmission!

I thought that '90s cars with manual transmission had the LH3.1 fuel injection while those with automatics ran the LH2.4 fuel injection system so if you still might have an ECU mismatch if you were to use the '93 engine.

Sjmccumsey 06-20-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by act1292 (Post 474684)
I thought that '90s cars with manual transmission had the LH3.1 fuel injection while those with automatics ran the LH2.4 fuel injection system so if you still might have an ECU mismatch if you were to use the '93 engine.

Since were on this topic, is it possible to just swap the intake manifold over? That way all the injectors and wiring would be the same? Or is there something more with like, the pistons?

pierce 06-20-2019 05:05 PM

to swap an LH II or 2.2 engine for a newer one, you would need to take the flywheel or flexiplate off the newer car, and install it on the older block, use the newer car's harness, fuel injectors, MAF, etc etc. and if you're using the older car's transmission, swap the bell housing as the LH2.4 crank position sensor requires a notch (or you can cut/grind said notch in the older housing, using the newer one as a template)

act1292 06-21-2019 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sjmccumsey (Post 474699)
Since were on this topic, is it possible to just swap the intake manifold over? That way all the injectors and wiring would be the same? Or is there something more with like, the pistons?

I think it would work if you were to bring over the '93 engine and install it in the '90 car - keeping the '90 intake system. It would not work bringing over the '86 engine due to the points that Pierce makes.

pierce 06-21-2019 03:29 PM

it would work if you swap the flywheel...

but it sounds like this 1990 car has been cannibalized for parts so who knows what is missing ?

Zombi 06-22-2019 11:13 PM

Swaps are challenging.
It takes a lot more experience to figure out what is missing.
Look inside as well to see if relays have gone missing. You gotta buy a battery. Do you have to buy an alternator and started as well?
Are the calipers and master cylinder operable? What do rotors tires and exhaust look like? The cat?
Are the fuel pumps functioning? Is the tank intact? Tires flat spotted from sitting? Do the blocks hold pressure, do they have compression, timing belt and water pump age.
Have rodents made a home?
Act 1292 has told of injector rebuilding. Fuel pressure regulator tales.MAF sensors.
Make a list of whats gone and see if you really have a solvable project for someone on a budget before you lift a wrench.
I just went thru the storm mentioned and parts topped 2K, after lucking into a parts car.
And I ain't finished. $300 more this weekend.