Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   240 windshield wiper motor issues..... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/240-windshield-wiper-motor-issues-80278/)

Woober 09-23-2014 07:13 PM

240 windshield wiper motor issues.....

Trying to troubleshoot the wipers on my 1988 245. I have no fast speed, only very slow. Either position it is just very slow. Could this be indicative of a motor that is just worn out, or wiring?

Scott

240 Guy 09-27-2014 09:38 PM

This could be from a number of things. Check the fuse for the wiper. It often gets corroded. Of course, while you are in there spin all of the fuses to wipe off some of the corrosion.

I think that in 1988 they did not have a ground wire to the wiper motor, it grounded through the mounting screw. So, this connection may be getting corrodeded. The best bet would be to add a ground wire. When I bought a replacement wiper motor it had this ground wire connection going to the body of the wiper motor.

The grease inside the wiper motor gearbox might be getting old and hard. It can be opened up and grease and/or oil added. You don't even need to remove the wiper motor to do this.

On the ends of the wiper motor are plain bronze bushings these are lubricated when they are installed but over time the oil dries up. This is harder to access. You need to remove the wiper motor, open the gearbox and remove the screws that hold the motor together then squirt some oil into the bushings. Then put it all back together.

If you are not up to taking the motor apart just buy a new one. I don't think they are that expensive. Tell us how things go and if you encounter problems.

pierce 09-28-2014 02:03 AM

odds are pretty darn good your motor is worn out. yes, check the two power wires to it, one is high, one is low speed, they are right there on the firewall. motor replacement is pretty darn easy, I talked my 18 yr old daughter through doing hers. pull the glovebox out, unclip the drive shaft behind the glovebox, then remove the motor from the engine compartment side.

I believe the brown wire is low speed, the green wire is high speed, and the yellow wire is always on power (thats used to return the wiper to home when its shut off), and the white-black wire is intermittent run.

Woober 09-28-2014 03:06 PM

Thanks you, gentlemen!

JerseyBrick 02-05-2019 10:44 AM

I have the same issue.. but I replaced the motor with a brand new one.. no change in speed.

pierce 02-05-2019 01:43 PM

then check the voltage at the two wires to the motor when its in low and high speed...

also, with the wiper arms disconnected from the motor crank shaft, do the wipers move smoothly through their travel range? you might need to grease the wiper shafts.

JerseyBrick 02-05-2019 03:11 PM

Thank you. I will check that tonight