Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   740 Dash Speakers (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/740-dash-speakers-62627/)

91-740Turbo 05-03-2012 10:00 PM

740 Dash Speakers

Am looking for replacement dash speakers for my 91' 740 sedan. The driver side is shot and the passanger is not doing too well. Do you guys have an idea of where i can get a new set?

pierce 05-04-2012 02:26 AM

any used dash speakers likely would be as shot as your old ones. the ones I had were nearly turned to dust inside when I diassembled them.

I'd get some 5.25" coaxials and put them in the doors, and wire those in stead. my 92 740 had the wire already in place, it goes to an amplifer jack under the drivers side dash, left of the steering column. the PO had already removed that amp to connect the dash and rear door speakers to an aftermarket stereo, so I just snipped the front door wires and spliced them to a couple wires to the stereo.

actually, I got a little fancier. I used component speakers (seperate tweeters and mid/woof) with external crossovers... I put the tweeters inside the original dash speakers, and 6" woofers in the doors.... but I should have just used coaxial, it would have been a lot simpler and the sound probably would have been more coherent.

for bonus points, you can just squeeze a 6" into the front doors, but you have to trim the frame of the speaker so the factory grills fit over them

http://pierce.smugmug.com/By-Date/20.../IMG2051-L.jpg

91-740Turbo 05-04-2012 11:57 AM

I have heard of people cutting off the speakers from the grilles and attaching new ones to the grilles. Where would I have to cut just so that I don't damage the grille too much, but am able to use them again. I know that I need 3" speakers for those.

pierce 05-04-2012 12:43 PM

I wish I'd taken pictures but we hacked the dash speakers at my friends place and I'd forgotten the camera that day.

carefully unbend the grill tabs all the way around the speaker plate and remove the grill. you'll discover that the speaker basket and the plate are all one plastic casting, you'll need to cut the old speaker basket out (dremel tool cutoff disk?), or what we did, remove the cone and magnet and coil via brute force, and install a small tweeter (1" or so)

really, I'd just install a 5.25" or 6" coaxial speaker in the front doors, and disconnect the dash speakers entirely. the wiring should be in place (at least it was in my 1992 745T)

91-740Turbo 05-07-2012 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 314896)
I wish I'd taken pictures but we hacked the dash speakers at my friends place and I'd forgotten the camera that day.

carefully unbend the grill tabs all the way around the speaker plate and remove the grill. you'll discover that the speaker basket and the plate are all one plastic casting, you'll need to cut the old speaker basket out (dremel tool cutoff disk?), or what we did, remove the cone and magnet and coil via brute force, and install a small tweeter (1" or so)

really, I'd just install a 5.25" or 6" coaxial speaker in the front doors, and disconnect the dash speakers entirely. the wiring should be in place (at least it was in my 1992 745T)

Yeah, I just ordered a new radio and am getting it put in for me and will have all 6 speakers working by having some of them going through a amp bypass. I'm pretty sure that some 3" speakers will fit on the grills too.

pierce 05-07-2012 05:58 PM

yeah, you can probably install a 3" speaker on the OEM dash grills... I'd probably use a dremel cutoff disk to slice off the 'basket' part of the speaker/grill, then mount your speaker to a piece of something like masonite epoxied to the back of the plastic grill. use a bit of RTV (silicone rubber sealant) to seal your speaker to this gasket to prevent air/sound leaks around it.

if you're going to mix 3" with larger speakers, you definitely want at least a 'bass blocking capacitor' on the small speakers or high bass levels will cause serious distortion. a decent car stereo installer should have these on hand and can advise you what size cap to use for the speakers of your choice.

I'd suggest getting a 4 channel mini amplifier that has built in equalization, and wire this to the front output of the CD deck, and wire the front door and dash speakers to this, and set about a 200-300Hz high-pass filter on the 3" speakers. use the gain controls on the amp to balance the sound, and mount this amp under the dash near the steering column.

91-740Turbo 05-18-2012 12:34 AM

Just got used speakers from a 740 wagon. Both work. got them from this salvage yard in Atlanta. Auto Disassembly Volvo Inc. - Volvo Parts - Used and New Honest & reliable Volvo parts. Ask them and they should have it until about the 1970s.If you call the guys, it will be some what difficult because of the heavy accents. Many 240s, 740s, 940s, 960s, 760s, ect.

2jmotorsports 09-29-2014 10:15 AM

Pardon the old thread resurrection but this seems relevant. Pierce, could you elaborate on your mounting method for the front door speakers? I am currently in a similar situation in that I want to mount a pair of 5.25" speakers in the front doors of my 91 740 where there are currently none. So I need to figure out if I need to fab some kind of adapter plate/spacer and whether to mount them to the door panel or inner door structure while still retaining the factory grilles for a stealth look.

Thanks in advance.

pierce 09-29-2014 12:11 PM

*best* way to do that is to use these, PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

I sealed them in with RTV (Silicone aquarium sealant), and put them on the BACK of the door panel so my rather large speakers would sit flush and the stock covers would fit over them.

note thats not the speakers pictured above, those were 6" oversize woofers and I had to do some hacking to mount them. I used these adapters for 5.25" rear door speakers.

2jmotorsports 09-29-2014 12:50 PM

Sweet. I actually just ordered these bad boys from Amazon:
Once they come in ill test fit the speakers top and bottom mount and see what works best to clear the grilles and the power window guts from behind.

I also have to order a whole set of the assorted clips and fasteners that hold the door panel in place as mine is currently being held by that upper channel and maybe 1 clip on the bottom. I imagine in its current state its going to be a rattling mess.