740 in tank pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023 | 10:09 PM
|
Unhappy 740 in tank pump

Guys I am flabbergasted... [89 Bosch non-turbo]

Purchased a barn find a couple of months ago, New High-Pressure Bosch Pump and Filter, and a new fuel regulator, added a full tank of gas, and the car started right up, even drove on a 1000-mile road trip. On the way back the fuel pump started becoming loud and eventually, the car died on the highway, started up in a couple of minutes, and died again.

After doing some research and asking on the forum, I thought this would most likely mean the in-tank pump was dead, so I took it out and cleaned the rust off, and the old pump and wiring looked very much disintegrated, so I soldered a new wiring in there, put in a fuel pump (new for 85-92 Camaro, said fit the Volvo, did NOT so I cut the line a little bit and made the pump fit, p.s. could not find the original anywhere) Ordered new fuel sender gasket. Tried starting it up, and it did and ran well but then died... I pumped out the old gas and added fresh new gas in

Fast forward two weeks I finally was able to fit the assembly in the tank, the car was still running like crap and would hesitate when pressing gas, and the main fuel pump cavitates like crazy... Mind you this happened even when the fuel tank was FULL. I drove on the highway and the whole time it felt like it was on its last legs and eventually died on me again. This is confusing because I thought the car could run only on the main pump if the gas tank was full.

Could not figure out what happened, I unplugged the wiring in the back and to my surprise, the car ran better and I was able to get it home. I thought maybe the fuel pump was wired backward.

Today I went out there to test. I first started the car and unplugged the in-tank wiring, switched around. Nothing changed, the car ran but the main pump was loud. With a battery hooked directly to the in-tank wiring, positive to positive, and then positive to negative, I heard nothing, no sounds, and DMM read 12.4 V at the connection. Does this mean my in-tank fuel pump is dead? How could this be?? I tested the pump in the lab before assembling it and putting it in the car. Now I have a half dead car with a modified fuel pump assembly that is also just stopped production...

Therefore, I wanted to ask all the experts out here have y'all experienced this kind of problem? I really thought the Volvo 7-series was going to be a reliable car it might looks like after all I am going to need to part way with the car if I can't figure out the problem...

Old 10-02-2023 | 08:33 AM

What brand of in-tank pump did you buy? These days there are a lot of poor quality cheap parts available that cause issues like this. I did a quick search and was unable to locate an Airtex pump on EEuroParts. com but there doesn't seem to be any OEM options for you. IPD shows an OEM pump for $190. Ouch!