Idol Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idol Question

Greetings ! I recently purchased a 1992 240 with 164K on the odometer. I have been looking at this car for years as it was slowly being covered up with pine needles and moss from many seasons in the Pacific NW. I found the owner, we agreed on a price, got it home and got it running great with nothing more than basic maintenance (air filter, MAF cleaning etc) The car came with extensive paperwork regarding maintenance and after reviewing I addressed the issues at hand. I found no records on the timing belt and noticed the timing belt cover was separated at the top rear screw exposing the belt to the elements. I decided to replace the belt along with the seals and replaced the entire timing cover in the process. When finished the car started up and ran great. I took it for a long drive and experienced no issues. I would like to add that when the belt was replaced the "Diesel" sound the engine made when cold seemed to be greatly reduced. Now, here's my issue. After a long, trouble free drive I got it home and decided to do a cleaning on the engine. After pressure washing the block with a couple cans of GUNK the engine would lag when the accelerator was engaged. It also became a little difficult to start, whereas originally the engine would turn right over when engaged and after It would take several seconds of the starter to get the thing to fire up. When running, the lag appeared and when accelerating at times the engine would die and create this strange "hiccup' before completely dying. Here's what I checked after the cleaning and problems started: All electrical connections, distributor, coil, used WD in electrical connections. Also, checked the vacuum lines and checked for leaks using carb cleaner when engine was running. Everything checked out. I let it sit overnight and checked it again this morning. Starts up, but takes longer than before and the lag in acceleration is still there. I mentioned the timing belt when writing this because I am wondering if I may have been off a tooth when installing. This was my first Volvo belt replacement. Considering how it drove when finished I feel that the belt is fine. Any help or experience with something like this would be appreciated and I am sorry if this was long winded, I just wanted to include info that may be relevant,

George

Old 04-28-2022, 03:51 PM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

That may be it, a small belt misalignment would do that.
What's WD? I hope not WD40 as that would cause issues.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response Lev.
The WD is WD-40. I recognize now how that was a bad ideal Looks like I will be tending to that mistake. Thank you for pointing that out. As far as the belt placement I am stumped as to why it ran great then the sudden problem. I did have difficulty seeing the intermediate marks but took my time and checked several times. Also, The belt I purchased did not have the lines to place on the gear markings. That also made me pay close attention.

George