Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   '89 Volvo 240 GL not cranking, '93 240 not starting (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/89-volvo-240-gl-not-cranking-93-240-not-starting-99016/)

Sidewinder7 02-01-2019 09:12 AM

'89 Volvo 240 GL not cranking, '93 240 not starting

Hi Everyone, 1) I have a 1989 Volvo 240 GL parts car that I start up every couple of weeks and drive around a bit just to keep it running. With the polar air here in the East (even though the anti-freeze was rated below projected temps), I decided to start the car and let it warm up. It would stumble but not start, so I kept cranking. After about five - ten minutes of a series of cranking, stopping letting it sit a couple of minutes and cranking again it finally started. When it started I'd cranked it about 3-4 minutes of continual cranking and stumbling then finally staying running. Every time I thought it would keep going I stopped cranking (thus the series of crank stop, crank, stop). Once running, I kept a little throttle to keep it going, no wide open throttle on a cold engine. Finally it settled down into a nice easy idle. I let it idle about 20 minutes. Everything worked fine, both hoses and inside heater heated up, temp gauge good, I shut it down. No odd noise, etc. Removed the battery and took it inside to fully charge. Went to start it up last night after putting the battery back in and it won't crank. Its sitting in a snow bank due to the amount of snow we had here. Between the snow and temps getting under the car to the starter just isn't going to happen. I was hoping someone could give me some specific things to check so I won't be out in the cold just fumbling around. Battery connections were good. Battery charged. All dash lights on. No weird engine noises or starter grinds when I started it the night before. Could I have killed the starter/solenoid with the excessive continual cranking (again about 3-4 minutes with the car trying to start). As soon as the engine caught to continue running, I left off on the starter.

2) Parked my '93 240 Wagon to go on a business trip. Upon returning it cranks, but won't start. I was gone about 10 days (before the cold snap). Ran perfect before I parked it. The fuel pump relay is engaging, but I don't hear the pump run (I'm not real sure I could ever hear the pump engage on this one). I pulled a plug, grounded it and watched for spark. No spark. I've seen a lot of diagnostics, but can anyone point me to "check this first" type thing. Again, less time standing in polar cold is a good thing.

Thanks.

jagtoes 02-01-2019 10:08 AM

I would say on the number 1 issue that it sounds like you burned out the starter. Put a volt meter on the battery and turn the key. Does the solenoid make noise. Look for a large voltage drop when you turn the key. On the 2nd car check the crank position sensor . What did you get when you turned the key. It just turns over but no spark. That's where I would look 1st.