Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   91 240 sedan Taillight wiring (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/91-240-sedan-taillight-wiring-69632/)

purv420 03-13-2013 03:21 PM

91 240 sedan Taillight wiring

91 240 sedan. I replaced both rear taillight assembly's. The drivers side works flawlessly. I was having some trouble still with the passenger side due to corrosion on the white connector piece.

I decided to cut off the white connector and hard wire the lights on the passenger side. Now the only ones that work are the turn signal and one brake light.

My question is how exactly is this supposed to be wired? Right now every socket has a ground and a positive. Does it matter which side is which? The lower right socket (works for break, not for run) is white and has 3 prongs. I have 1 ground, 1 to the other bottom socket and the run wire, and 1 to break. Is this correct? :confused: My reverse light may be bad because of the bulb. It is milky white. Is it supposed to be that way?:confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jagtoes 03-13-2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by purv420 (Post 346160)
91 240 sedan. I replaced both rear taillight assembly's. The drivers side works flawlessly. I was having some trouble still with the passenger side due to corrosion on the white connector piece.

I decided to cut off the white connector and hard wire the lights on the passenger side. Now the only ones that work are the turn signal and one brake light.

My question is how exactly is this supposed to be wired? Right now every socket has a ground and a positive. Does it matter which side is which? The lower right socket (works for break, not for run) is white and has 3 prongs. I have 1 ground, 1 to the other bottom socket and the run wire, and 1 to break. Is this correct? :confused: My reverse light may be bad because of the bulb. It is milky white. Is it supposed to be that way?:confused:

Go to a salvage yard and cut off a connector and solder it up to your wires and plug it in to the tail light assembly. A milky bulb is a bad bulb. Replace it.

purv420 03-14-2013 12:28 PM

There are never any cars like mine at junk yards in my area. Even if I found another car, the white plastic connector would most likely be corroded also.

This is apparently a very common issue with these cars. I was hoping someone could help me figure which wires go where.

purv420 03-21-2013 06:38 PM

Anybody else? Please?

analogies 03-22-2013 01:27 AM

check out the youtube video on this particular issue....how to hardwire

url:

pierce 03-22-2013 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by purv420 (Post 346160)
91 240 sedan. I replaced both rear taillight assembly's. ....

according to the 1991 240 wiring diagram greenbook...
on the right (passenger) side..

from behind, the light fixture looks like...

A B C
D E F

E is the parking light, and is a brown-white wire.
A is the brake light, and is yellow wire.
B is the reverse light, and is a black wire.
C is the turn signal, and is a blue wire.

purv420 11-27-2013 04:03 PM

Thanks Pierce.
On mine
If A B C
D E F

A is the fog light
B is reverse
C is turn signal
D is the driving light (on w/headlights)
E is empty no socket
F is driving and brake

Are D and F supposed to be wired together?
D is a white socket that has 3 prongs. All others have 2.
B is a 5w socket. All others are 21w.
Is B the correct position for the 5w socket?:confused::confused:

pierce 11-27-2013 04:16 PM

our 240 was a 1987, and has moved to oregon with my daughter-in-college. I only know what the 1991 wiring diagram says, as detailed above.

the right side fog lamp is not wired or populated on US models.

how could F be driving and brake, yet have a 2-pin ? a dual mode light would be a 3-pin.

purv420 11-27-2013 04:29 PM

My mistake. F is the 3 prong socket. Do I just split the driving light wire to D and F?

pierce 11-27-2013 04:42 PM

yeah, I guess.

me, I don't like the idea of soldering that all down... those tail light assemblies should be replaced every 5-10 years depending on sun exposure and weather. I'd be more inclined to clean all the connections (soft clean pencil eraser works great on electrical contacts without removing the plating), and use some deoxit d100 on them.